Strangers Photographing Both You And Your Dog Whilst Out In Public

Tatelina

Having photos taken without permission  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an issue with a stranger taking a photo/s of YOU AND YOUR DOG out in public without permission?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have an issue with a stranger posting photo/s online without permission, taken of YOU AND YOUR DOG whilst out in public?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would your responses from the above 2 questions change if it was a professional photographer using the photos for their portfolio?

• Yes
    • No

and i took photos of the kids and the kites

So according to Staranais that was OK because

I think it's different if I'm part of a crowd or something and a photo is being taken of the whole crowd.

but if it was a single kid does it suddenly become wrong and an invasion of privacy?

Not having a go at staranais - just using as an example.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and i took photos of the kids and the kites

So according to Staranais that was OK because

I think it's different if I'm part of a crowd or something and a photo is being taken of the whole crowd.

but if it was a single kid does it suddenly become wrong and an invasion of privacy?

Not having a go at staranais - just using as an example.

but i did take a photo of one little girl because she was having so much fun and she was so in the moment with the kite flying

but i did take a photo of one little girl because she was having so much fun and she was so in the moment with the kite flying

Well that's the thing, isnt it. A moment captured you and you took that photo. Now every time you look at it it's going to give you a personal story. Is that wrong? Even if you sold the photo, is it wrong that you didnt ask her or her parents for permission first and get her to sign a release after? (not legally because she's hardly going to sue you, but morally?)

Stuff like that wouldn't bother me too much but I would still be wary if I discovered that someone had been taking photos of me without my knowledge or consent, but that has probably got more to do with my lack self confidence - why would someone want a photo of me doing anything? I would be more upset/suspicious if pics were taken of my kids without prior knowledge.

Because people are fantastic subjects, especially when the photographer wants to portray emotion. Looks at sports photography as an example - can you get better than the look on an athlete's face as they cross the line to win a gold medal? OK maybe that's a bad example if comparing to everyday stuff but think of a kid looking at a bug or a blade of grass and being totally in the moment. Would that be a bad thing if you saw a beautiful photo of your kid doing that?

No that wouldn't be a bad thing but look at it from the point of view of a parent. How would you react if you noticed someone (a stranger) taking photos of your child, without knowledge or consent? Seeing that would set off some alarm bells and innocent or not I would rather err on the side of caution as far as my kids are concerned.

I feel OK with taking crowd shots without asking permission because you're not singling anyone out. Individual people aren't the focus of the shot, and most people may not even be all that recognisable. It's also logistically hard to ask a large crowd of random people for permission, so you couldn't do it even if you wanted to do so.

I feel much less comfortable with one person being the focus of a photo. Mostly because if it's just one or a few people you usually can ask them for permission, but for reasons of your own you choose not to do so (by ask permission, I mean ask before or afterwards - it's easy to delete a shot from a digital camera, or just not use it, if a person says they'd rather not be in your portfolio or on your website). I'm aware taking individual shots without asking permission happens, and don't think it should be illegal, but I do find it kind of rude and potentially creepy and voyeuristic.

I think it also matters what the subject is doing (if you're performing in a parade, for example, it's a given that strangers are going to photograph you - different to if you're walking along the beach in a bikini!) And how the picture will be used matters as well, I think.

These are just my thoughts on the topic. I'm not sure if I explained them well. And I'm aware there are a lot of grey areas. :D

No that wouldn't be a bad thing but look at it from the point of view of a parent. How would you react if you noticed someone (a stranger) taking photos of your child, without knowledge or consent? Seeing that would set off some alarm bells and innocent or not I would rather err on the side of caution as far as my kids are concerned.

Sure I totally understand that. Would it make a difference to you if the person taking the photos was male or female?

I feel much less comfortable with one person being the focus of a photo. Mostly because if it's just one or a few people you usually can ask them for permission, but for reasons of your own you choose not to do so (by ask permission, I mean ask before or afterwards - it's easy to delete a shot from a digital camera, or just not use it, if a person says they'd rather not be in your portfolio or on your website). I'm aware taking individual shots without asking permission happens, and don't think it should be illegal, but I do find it kind of rude and potentially creepy and voyeuristic.

OK here's a question (so many questions, so little time :D ) I've got a group shot where the entire focus is on one person. Why? Because I like her scarf. Nothing creepy about that, right, but is it OK that it's a crowd shot even though she's the only one in focus?

Great thread, by the way. :D

Well that's the thing, isnt it. A moment captured you and you took that photo. Now every time you look at it it's going to give you a personal story. Is that wrong? Even if you sold the photo, is it wrong that you didnt ask her or her parents for permission first and get her to sign a release after? (not legally because she's hardly going to sue you, but morally?)

that's the thing i am quite conflicted about this issue. i can see both sides

OK here's a question (so many questions, so little time :D ) I've got a group shot where the entire focus is on one person. Why? Because I like her scarf. Nothing creepy about that, right, but is it OK that it's a crowd shot even though she's the only one in focus?

That would look good with a bit of selective colouring on the scarf.... :D

I bet you one hundred dollars you wouldnt have taken the photo if you saw kids being in the moment with kites in Aus because someone might get creeped out. After this thread, I wouldnt either. Pretty sad, isnt it.

That would look good with a bit of selective colouring on the scarf.... :cheer:

Reminds me of the concept used in the movie Schindler's List with the little girl in the red coat. Awesome effect! :D

Sure I totally understand that. Would it make a difference to you if the person taking the photos was male or female?

Nope. However if the person explained why they were taking the pics and if I felt they were being honest I would probably be ok with it. Depends on the impression I get of the person.

I bet you one hundred dollars you wouldnt have taken the photo if you saw kids being in the moment with kites in Aus because someone might get creeped out. After this thread, I wouldnt either. Pretty sad, isnt it.

So sad really. No such thing as innocence any more.

Oh well....I'll have to go back to taking photos of crazy dogs doing weird things....and even crazier horses! They don't care if I share their images with the world.

Or if they do....they haven't said so yet! :D

yep you are 100% correct and it is very sad.

this is a wonderful thread because now i am going to dig out those photos :D

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Nope. However if the person explained why they were taking the pics and if I felt they were being honest I would probably be ok with it. Depends on the impression I get of the person.

Old guy, long hair, 3 day growth, sandals.

Well dressed woman, couple of gold rings, nice makeup.

Would either of those two examples give you a different impression?

(there is a point to my question - I'll get to it in a bit)

Its not something we really have control over. With the enormous range that websites like Flickr, Facebook, Redbubble, Photobucket and dozens more have, there is no way you could comb through every photo to figure out whether or not your face is in some of them. The likelyhood is that if you go ANYWHERE that is outside in public, you may be photographed.

I'm sure everyone here has seen the millions of captioned photos around. Do you think that every single one of those photos, people a)knew they where being photographed, b)approved the photograph and gave permission for its use?

Basically, its a hell of a lot bigger than any of us, I'm fairly certain even if they made a law, it wouldn't matter. Example? Its illegal to download music, movies...

But do I like it? Well I would rather I didn't look like a idiot scratching my ass or something in a photo somewhere online that I don't know about.. :D

Like I said, I think there are lots of grey areas! :D

I wouldn't mind that so much if it was me you were photographing. It's still a crowd shot. Other people might mind, though.

I guess for me, it comes down to asking can you easily ask permission of all the people in your shot? If you can't, then you don't. If you can, I think you should - especially if there are additional factors that might worry someone (like photographing a child, photographing someone in a bikini, photographing someone in a country where people often view photography as dodgy or invasive, if you're planning on selling copies of the photo, etc).

even though i think i know where you are going with this i will answer honestly.

the guy would make me more suspicious

if you dont go the way i am thinking i will post later why i am wrong

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

even though i think i know where you are going with this i will answer honestly.

the guy would make me more suspicious

Especially if it looked like he was using a cute fluffy puppy to attract the children. That would be even more suspicious.