Strangers Photographing Both You And Your Dog Whilst Out In Public

Tatelina

Having photos taken without permission  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an issue with a stranger taking a photo/s of YOU AND YOUR DOG out in public without permission?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have an issue with a stranger posting photo/s online without permission, taken of YOU AND YOUR DOG whilst out in public?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would your responses from the above 2 questions change if it was a professional photographer using the photos for their portfolio?

• Yes
    • No

Considering it is NOT illegal to take photographs of a person without their consent unless in the following situations:

When do you need a person’s consent to take their photograph?

Only in the following circumstances:

(1) According to the NSW Workplace Surveillance Act 2005, employees cannot be filmed at work by their employers without their prior consent.

(2) Photographs must not be taken (or published) if a person’s identity is protected by a court order (eg. a suppression order, witness protection, child custody or protection order).

(3) According to s21G of the NSW Summary Offences Act 1988, photographs are prohibited if you have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" (eg. in a toilet or changing room) AND the images are of a sexual nature.

Taken from Google search

Consider the following scenarios:

Scenario A:You are out walking your dog in your local area, and an unknown person sitting in a car at the lights, pulls out their camera phone to take a photo of you and your dog as you pass them.

These photos are then posted online (not necessarily on a forum that you frequent or a photo sharing website) as a 'check out the dogs in my area' or 'who's this? Identify yourself!' type of thing.

Scenario B: You are sitting at a cafe with your dog at your feet, and a passerbyer takes a photo of both of you using a small, compact camera without saying anything, and continues walking.

These photos are then posted online (not necessarily on a forum that you frequent or a photo sharing website) as a 'check out the dogs in my area' or 'who's this? Identify yourself!' type of thing.

Scenario C:You are at a dog park, and a stranger walks around taking candid photos of owners and their dogs.

In all scenarios, your face/personal features are not necessarily recognisable, however you are in all of the photos WITH your dog, and no details with regards to location/clothing/identifying mark/etc are blurred.

Have you had unsolicited photos taken of you and your dog whilst out and about?

If yes, did you mind? Do you have a 'rare or interesting looking dog'?

If yes, did you ask them to stop taking photos/delete the ones of you?

If yes, did they comply?

Would you prefer for photos taken of you and your dog to be posted online, or kept within a person's photo collection?

Would you mind if in all of the above scenarios photos were taken of JUST your dog?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not doing anything wrong who cares.

Someone who lives across the road from our park was taking photos of us, we weren't doing anything wrong so doesn't matter to me - some people are freaks.

If you're out in a public place you kinda loose privacy, I mean a Journalist could take a photo and publish it online or in a paper as an editorial type thing.

I think the situation is off but I really don't care that much if it's not an 'inappropriate' type of photo.

If they come and ask me if they could use the photo they took of my dogs and me... I rarely say no. But, if they don't and I see photos of me online or whatever without permission, then yeah, i would be annoyed with that.

i disagree with photographers taking photos of humans without getting their consent.

So you would make all candid street photography illegal or do you really mean getting consent to USE the photo after?

i disagree with photographers taking photos of humans without getting their consent.

So you would make all candid street photography illegal or do you really mean getting consent to USE the photo after?

i think photographer should ask permission before taking photographs pf people. because they cant determine whether they are breaking this part of the law unless they ask:

(2) Photographs must not be taken (or published) if a person’s identity is protected by a court order (eg. a suppression order, witness protection, child custody or protection order).

i think photographer should ask permission before taking photographs pf people. because they cant determine whether they are breaking this part of the law unless they ask:

You realise you can't really get a candid once the person knows, so that would be the end of street photography altogether. What a shame. Can't say it's my type of photography but there are so many amazing photographs over the years that record both history and society and culture all through candids.

Asking permission to use the photo means if they do have the above issues, they are negated because the photo never sees the light of day.

Help the paparazzi are after me and my dog. ;) The photo is going to be used to make stacks of money and get looked at by perverts! :vomit:

Wishful thinking in many cases. But it doesn't hurt to carry on like you really think you are that important. :vomit:

Exactly what I was thinking :vomit:

I've had people pose with my dog to take photos, because he's a very handsome boy. But they ask first. I have no problem with it if they ask, it's just weird to have your photo taken when you're not expecting it. Additionally, there's a difference between them photographing just my dog, which I never mind, and them photographing me and the dog. But I've had some issues with that in the past, so maybe my views are skewed. Still a simple, would you mind if we took a photo of you and your dog goes a long way.

Edited by jacqui835

i think photographer should ask permission before taking photographs pf people....

You realise you can't really get a candid once the person knows, so that would be the end of street photography altogether. What a shame. Can't say it's my type of photography but there are so many amazing photographs over the years that record both history and society and culture all through candids.

Asking permission to use the photo means if they do have the above issues, they are negated because the photo never sees the light of day.

Tess32 my questions were more specifically of JUST you and your dog...walking along, as apposed to a 'street candid photograph' where there is an attempt to capture a moment with background etc etc...

My personal opinion rely on the intent of the photograph.

It's common decency to ask permission either before/during/after photographing an owner and their dog out in public, when attempting to capture an interesting shot with a purpose of creating something artistic as Tess32 has mentioned. You don't legally have to, but it's just polite if you get a questioning look from the owner to smile and ask.

However, I'm puzzled as to why people would bother to take 'un-artistic' photos of people and their dogs taken seemingly...just for the sake of it. And am curious as to people's thoughts on being photographed out and about.

Hence this discussion.

Tess32 my questions were more specifically of JUST you and your dog...walking along, as apposed to a 'street candid photograph' where there is an attempt to capture a moment with background etc etc...

My personal opinion rely on the intent of the photograph.

It's common decency to ask permission either before/during/after photographing an owner and their dog out in public, when attempting to capture an interesting shot with a purpose of creating something artistic as Tess32 has mentioned. You don't legally have to, but it's just polite if you get a questioning look from the owner to smile and ask.

However, I'm puzzled as to why people would bother to take 'un-artistic' photos of people and their dogs taken seemingly...just for the sake of it. And am curious as to people's thoughts on being photographed out and about.

Hence this discussion.

If someone is taking a photograph of you and your dog, how on earth would you know they are not just capturing a moment that speaks to them? Most of my photos are taken while I sit back out of view and snap a moment in time that means something to me. You would never know that I had taken the photo and I'm certainly not going to ask you to go back and retrace your steps with the same look on your face that attracted my attention in the first place just so I have your permission. I dont take photos to expose people or take the piss out of them on a forum so is it a problem if I take street photography?

I hate photos of myself so I would let them take pictures of the dog, but I don't like a picture taken of me.

Having said that I have had photos taken of my dog and myself and had them posted in our local paper on more than one occasion and I don't mind.

While is was rather random to have a lady walk towards me in a beeline one day after training and ask to take a photo of us, she explained what it was for and I agreed. I am proud of my dogs and get a buzz seeing them in the paper.

I don't post photos of myself online or of my kids so I am not into putting those sorts of photos on Facebook or forums, so maybe I would feel differently if that happened.

As far as I know I haven't had random shots taken of me and my dog, but I would most likely not know if I had ;) As part of a large group, no I don't mind.

I also do not have any issues with having to protect my identity. I may feel different if I did.

If my dog's at a show or trialling I don't mind if they don't ask. I think that kind of goes with the territory and I like to see those photos too.

Otherwise, I'd prefer they did.

I didnt ask if I could take candids of you at a show, Poodie. I seem to recall getting some beauties of you and that sexy little beast called Howie ;) I would ask before plasting them up, though. There is one in particular that I just love and when I look at it I remember exactly what I was thinking when I took it.

in totally agree with you. i think it is awful that we have become so distrustful as a society and we have to protect people to such an extent.

i have seen some amazing street shots and yes they would be gone if consent was asked for.

i dont know what the solution is