Strangers Photographing Both You And Your Dog Whilst Out In Public

Tatelina

Having photos taken without permission  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an issue with a stranger taking a photo/s of YOU AND YOUR DOG out in public without permission?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have an issue with a stranger posting photo/s online without permission, taken of YOU AND YOUR DOG whilst out in public?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would your responses from the above 2 questions change if it was a professional photographer using the photos for their portfolio?

• Yes
    • No

It's common decency to ask permission either before/during/after photographing an owner and their dog out in public, when attempting to capture an interesting shot with a purpose of creating something artistic as Tess32 has mentioned. You don't legally have to, but it's just polite if you get a questioning look from the owner to smile and ask.

If they have a question, they can ask it politely, and will probably get a polite answer.

If they want to give "questioning looks", there is no obligation to acknowledge that. What is a "questioning look" anyway?

I think that overall, we lose out if photographers are restricted from recording what they see in public. Obviously children are entitled to protection if they need it, but adults should be able to cope with a photo being taken of them if they are in a public place.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If my dog's at a show or trialling I don't mind if they don't ask. I think that kind of goes with the territory and I like to see those photos too.

Otherwise, I'd prefer they did.

I didnt ask if I could take candids of you at a show, Poodie. I seem to recall getting some beauties of you and that sexy little beast called Howie ;) I would ask before plasting them up, though. There is one in particular that I just love and when I look at it I remember exactly what I was thinking when I took it.

You were thinking how hot Howie was of course.. unless it was a shot with me showing Krakka. :vomit:

i disagree with photographers taking photos of humans without getting their consent.

I do it all the time. You'll have to shoot me, Jaxx. ;)

no shooting (pun intended) by me :vomit:

i think there are so many people where publishing their photo could cause them serious problems that the risk is too high.

do i like this situation, not at all and i don't know what the solution is.

if the photo was not to be published and for private use i would have no issue unless it was a child and that is only because of the creeps around

You were thinking how hot Howie was of course.. unless it was a shot with me showing Krakka. :vomit:

They were you and Howie. I was actually thinking the judge was pretty hot ;) I just went back for a perve - this thread reminded me of them. Remember that Scandinavian guy? I wonder if he spent the entire day judging a whippy specialty wondering if all those people on the sidelines with big cameras were going to suddenly ask his permission after the event :vomit: 'Hey Scuse me...I took some photos of you because you have nice soft hands with a dog...should I delete them? :vomit:

i disagree with photographers taking photos of humans without getting their consent.

i think there are so many people where publishing their photo could cause them serious problems that the risk is too high.

if the photo was not to be published and for private use i would have no issue unless it was a child and that is only because of the creeps around

What serious problems can it cause to so many people, and how do you know the photo caused the problem?

I just can't see how the risk would outweigh the benefits.

What serious problems can it cause to so many people, and how do you know the photo caused the problem?

I just can't see how the risk would outweigh the benefits.

i know women that have been almost killed by their partners and had to change their identity and disappear to ensure they weren't killed. they are the people i am talking about.

if their partner sees the photo and puts 2 and 2 together its serious for the woman.

and i know this has happened when a photo was published in a newspaper without consent. the family had to be uprooted again for safety

i would be absolutely horrified if someone did this to me without making their presence known and without asking me first. However I would like to clarify that i work with children, so privacy and confidentiality is paramount. I have also unfortunately been put in the middle of two separate messy, hateful separations and divorce to the point that i was threatened as well.

I am not involved in facebook or twitter because i dont trust those sites therefore I dont get involved with them. One of my daycare children got spoken to just this week about telling one of his friends where I lived, I then had a strange car parked outside my house for approx 10 mins before i could go out and investigate and it was the child and their mother wanting to come and play. Never mind the fact that I had 7 children inside that I was supposed to keep safe and secure. So its a big no for me without consent and knowledge

i would be absolutely horrified if someone did this to me without making their presence known and without asking me first. However I would like to clarify that i work with children, so privacy and confidentiality is paramount.

I take photos of children because they express an emotion so clearly. Would you ever know where the photo was taken? Nup. How sad is it in this day and age that someone cant take a photo without suspicion because a few little creeps have stuck their phone up a girl's skirt to take a photo of her underpants. Privacy and confidentiality? How on earth is that being breached if someone takes a photo of a kid walking her puppy?

As I said earlier, you wouldnt have a clue if I took your photo walking your dog down the street.

One time at the park there was a lady taking photos of dogs as part of her photography course, she did try to take some photos of Tilly as she was running around.

I absolutely hate having my photo taken, but i'd be happy for someone to ask if they could take photos of my dogs, as long as they weren't a creepy weirdo!

i would be absolutely horrified if someone did this to me without making their presence known and without asking me first. However I would like to clarify that i work with children, so privacy and confidentiality is paramount.

I take photos of children because they express an emotion so clearly. Would you ever know where the photo was taken? Nup. How sad is it in this day and age that someone cant take a photo without suspicion because a few little creeps have stuck their phone up a girl's skirt to take a photo of her underpants. Privacy and confidentiality? How on earth is that being breached if someone takes a photo of a kid walking her puppy?

As I said earlier, you wouldnt have a clue if I took your photo walking your dog down the street.

i agree raz and i really do not like that we have a society where we have to be concerned about this type of thing.

i wish we didn't have to work at the lowest common denominator, ie creeps who perve on kids or men who want to kill their partners

Yep, im fine with what you have said, maybe I have just been involved in too many bad experiences to not have a skewed view of this. I might also add, that I need parents signatures on an authorisation form to say that I am allowed to take photos of their childrens whilst in care for documentation and other purposes. We have recently banned the nintendo dsi game thingys as the children were all running around taking photos of other children, and there was no authorisation from those parents.

we also live in a society where there are many broken homes, domestic violence and the ability to sue so unfortunately no photos for us unless written permission.

If you took a photo of my child without my permission, I would take the matter further, you do not have that right.

I absolutely hate having my photo taken, but i'd be happy for someone to ask if they could take photos of my dogs, as long as they weren't a creepy weirdo!

How would you know? The person who asks might be a creepy weirdo just as much as the person who doesnt ask. What's a creepy weirdo anyway? Paparazzi who make money out of snapping celebs? Rock spider who takes photos of little kids at the beach? Ordinary Jo Blow who takes photos to capture a moment?

Serious questions. I'm not making fun here. What makes me different in taking street photography to 'a creepy weirdo'? What are the boundaries?

How would you know? The person who asks might be a creepy weirdo just as much as the person who doesnt ask. What's a creepy weirdo anyway? Paparazzi who make money out of snapping celebs? Rock spider who takes photos of little kids at the beach? Ordinary Jo Blow who takes photos to capture a moment?

Serious questions. I'm not making fun here. What makes me different in taking street photography to 'a creepy weirdo'? What are the boundaries?

those questions are why this is such an interesting topic for me.

there is no way to tell a creepy weirdo from a not creepy weirdo.

creepy weirdos look like us. thats the problem.

i think as a society we are becoming more fearful and it is affecting our community spirit, what once was an innocent pastime (taking photos of people who are interestong or kids) has become a big no no

i find that very challenging because whilst i understand it and will support the vulnerable in society, i dont like that we fear so much

It would make me very uncomfortable, yes. If someone wanted to take pics of my dog and they asked, they could take as many as they wanted to as long as they didn't take any of me.

And it's true, I wouldn't know if someone had had taken my pic, but some people have valid reasons for protecting their privacy and safety. If a pic of me ended up on a website in and in any way identified the area in which I lived I would be horrified. But it would be even worse if I DIDN'T know.

If it was somewhere busy, like a shopping centre, or in the city or a fair type thing and there lots of people around I wouldn't be concerned. If I was walking my dog down my street, or at my local park however and I saw someone taking pics of me, to be honest I would probably call the police.

i find that very challenging because whilst i understand it and will support the vulnerable in society, i dont like that we fear so much

Unfortunately it's come about for a reason and I totally understand what you're saying, Jaxx. Pretty sad, though. I think I get away with taking candid photos because I'm female but if a guy did it, probably different?

If someone is taking a photograph of you and your dog, how on earth would you know they are not just capturing a moment that speaks to them?

What about in scenario A? Having your/your dog's photo taken by a camera phone from a person in their car at the lights?

I'm assuming we're talking about different things here...

'Street photography' as you've described to capture moments for whatever reason for a persons own collection of photos.

And photos that can potentially specify whom, with what dog, where, and when to then be posted online 'for the sake of it'.

Unfortunately it's come about for a reason and I totally understand what you're saying, Jaxx. Pretty sad, though. I think I get away with taking candid photos because I'm female but if a guy did it, probably different?

yes i believe that is true unfortunately

edit to clarify...that the unfortunate part is that not all guys are creepy but people see them as such because of the few creeps that are around

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I don't mind if someone takes a photo of me and/or my dogs, but if they have the intention of posting it all over the internet, or to sell for use in some way, then I'd prefer them asking my permission to do so.

I have some great photos taken during the Youth Day/Week thing in Sydney a couple of years ago, but I've not posted them anywhere due to them clearly showing people's faces and I never asked permission to post them in a public place. I also have photos of people at a dog park interacting with mine and their own dogs - I won't post those publically either.

T.