Strangers Photographing Both You And Your Dog Whilst Out In Public

Tatelina

Having photos taken without permission  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an issue with a stranger taking a photo/s of YOU AND YOUR DOG out in public without permission?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have an issue with a stranger posting photo/s online without permission, taken of YOU AND YOUR DOG whilst out in public?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would your responses from the above 2 questions change if it was a professional photographer using the photos for their portfolio?

• Yes
    • No

lol that's what i am thinking...i might dust off the camera and see what happens and i think i will start asking people some of the questions that have been raised in this thread because i am really curious on how many people see this as an issue.

Fair or not, I suspect the reactions would probably depend not only heavily on the situation, but also on how you were dressed, on what gender you are, and on how you acted.

i.e., are you a seedy looking guy taking photos of girls in bikinis on the beach with a zoom lens (creepy)? Or are you a professionally dressed person taking photos of fully dressed girls on the street (much less so)?

Also, are you following someone around taking multiple photos of just them (creepy), or are you discretely snapping shots of lots of people (much less so)?

etc etc

It is a very interesting topic to think about.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol that's what i am thinking...i might dust off the camera and see what happens and i think i will start asking people some of the questions that have been raised in this thread because i am really curious on how many people see this as an issue.

Fair or not, I suspect the reactions would probably depend not only heavily on the situation, but also on how you were dressed, on what gender you are, and on how you acted.

i.e., are you a seedy looking guy taking photos of girls in bikinis on the beach with a zoom lens (creepy)? Or are you a professionally dressed person taking photos of fully dressed girls on the street (much less so)?

Also, are you following someone around taking multiple photos of just them (creepy), or are you discretely snapping shots of lots of people (much less so)?

etc etc

What if I'm a chick in a bikini on a beach taking photos of surfers waxing their boards?

Actually, Raz, you just reminded me of something that happened just before I met Alex (so when I was living on the Gold Coast and was thin and had my hair dyed blonde and all that). I had been at the beach and went up to take a shower to get all the sand off. This was at Main Beach where the shower is right next to the carpark. As I turned off the water the guy sitting in his car just in front of me called out, "Aww... don't stop!"

Ummm... hmmm.

He didn't look creepy, he just looked like a normal guy, but EWW!!!

However I think it is more creepy that he was just sitting in his car watching. How many other people had he done that to?

As I said, I'd rather a guy with a camera out in full view than some perve in a car (with or without pants dropped - with or without a camera).

It also sort of freaks you out a bit, doesnt it. I sent some of my travel shots to a member here and asked her if she thought any weirdo would find something even remotely suggestive enough to get his jollies while looking at them. She said no but then Ashanali said some foot fetishist could look at her website and see photos of a bride putting her shoes on and get his jollies. It's a bit damn disturbing when you start to think about it.

Ash, that reminds me of being at Centennial Park years ago and seeing some professional looking guys with wedding rings on go into the toilet block with a young guy one by one. One guess what was happening.

No I didnt take any photos :)

Ok here is my take on it.

If someone was taking pics of my dogs then I really wouldn't mind. I personally don't want pics of myself taken by anyone, but as long as the photos were tasteful I wouldn't mind that much.

If someone approached me and said they would like to take some candid pics of my kids then that would be ok too. I would know about it but the kids wouldn't so both myself and the photographer are happy.

If I saw someone taking pics of my kids (and I don't mean that the kids just happen to be in the pic, but specifically of my children) then yes I would be a little suspicious and I would probably ask what they were doing. That's my job as a parent, to protect my kids and if that means possibly offending a stranger that is taking innocent pics of them then so be it.

I would not make a big scene or call the cops (unless it became obvious the person was doing the wrong thing) I would just politely ask why were they taking pics of my kids and if I was satisfied with the response and the pics then I would leave them to it.

I agree that in this day and age that the wrong people are being policed and punished and the real 'bad guys' have all the rights, but I love my kids and want to protect them.

You photographers out there also need to understand that not everyone see's things the same way you do. Not everyone is artistic or gets why you want a pic of that particular thing or person and that it means something to you. I envy your passion and artistic talent. :D

If I saw someone taking pics of my kids (and I don't mean that the kids just happen to be in the pic, but specifically of my children) then yes I would be a little suspicious and I would probably ask what they were doing. That's my job as a parent, to protect my kids and if that means possibly offending a stranger that is taking innocent pics of them then so be it.

Totally understandable, dobes. I wouldnt be offended if someone approached me like that but if I was aggressively jumped on, called a pervert or had the cops called I'd be pretty damn humiliated.

I was trying to remember the last time I pulled my camera out in Aus other than just to take snappies of my dogs. It was at a Tibetan New Year celebration. For whatever reason (subconscious probably telling me about how upset people in Australia get) I took photos of adult Tibetans in traditional garb but did not take one single shot of a little kid dressed up in gorgeous silk. What a shame. Beautiful little children in the most amazing clothes but I was too afraid to take a photo. Meanwhile, there was an Aussie photographer there with a stand selling incredible street photos of children he had taken in Tibet - without permission. Gorgeous photos, not pervy, but if I meet him again I'll have to ask if he's as free with his camera in Australia.

And Ashanali :D :):rofl: You'd probably get stabbed.

eta I went down to the local dog park with my camera but the place was empty. They must all be reading this thread as well and are now too scared to be out in public with their dog incase I take a photo and plast it up on dogzonline without permission :(

Edited by raz

Razzle, There's a pic that you took whilst in Peru I think. I can't quite remember but I think there was a couple of women and a stone wall. It might have been a mountian type setting. It's stuck in my memory and was obviously a candid.

It's a shame that we get our cameras out as tourists and snap away , yet we don't in our own country.

Razzle, There's a pic that you took whilst in Peru I think. I can't quite remember but I think there was a couple of women and a stone wall. It might have been a mountian type setting. It's stuck in my memory and was obviously a candid.

OKies running off for a squizz at my files. God help me if they have internet and see their faces to wherever I posted the photo on the internet :D God help me if the guy who I shot while sleeping on the steps of the Taj Mahal ever sees his face on the internet. He'd probably try to sue me.

I was driving the other day, just myself and one of the dogs (pretty Alexis), someone behind us, got out there camera phone, took a photo of the back of my car, pulled up next to me (while driving along) and took a photo of Alexis... :D

Was not happy!

On top of that, the person was meant to be supervising a 'learner driver' :)

I was driving the other day, just myself and one of the dogs (pretty Alexis), someone behind us, got out there camera phone, took a photo of the back of my car,

When I got my iphone I was sitting in the passenger seat testing to see if the camera worked so put it up and took a photo of the car infront of me. Now I'm wondering if the driver saw me and is pissed off thinking I was doing something suspicious :D Maybe the guy just liked your dog...Were you pissed off that he took the photos or that the stupid twit should have been keeping an eye on his learner driver?

I was driving the other day, just myself and one of the dogs (pretty Alexis), someone behind us, got out there camera phone, took a photo of the back of my car,

When I got my iphone I was sitting in the passenger seat testing to see if the camera worked so put it up and took a photo of the car infront of me. Now I'm wondering if the driver saw me and is pissed off thinking I was doing something suspicious :D Maybe the guy just liked your dog...Were you pissed off that he took the photos or that the stupid twit should have been keeping an eye on his learner driver?

Both. If we were at a dog park, sure, but when the dogs in my property, well, my mums property... Where have everyone's manners gone these days? :rofl:

When he took the photo of the back of my car, they were laughing away, and he kept showing the photo to the learner. :)

Both. If we were at a dog park, sure, but when the dogs in my property, well, my mums property... Where have everyone's manners gone these days? :)

When he took the photo of the back of my car, they were laughing away, and he kept showing the photo to the learner. :D

What's the difference between someone taking a photo of your dog in your property and your dog in the dog park? Not having a go but just really interested. And laughing - in what way? Was he laughing that the sight of your dog was making him happy or laughing in some other manner? eg if I laugh at a stranger's dog doing zoomies, how do you know I'm not laughing at crappy movement or just laughing because I'm having a moment of joy?

I hope you see what I mean.

Both. If we were at a dog park, sure, but when the dogs in my property, well, my mums property... Where have everyone's manners gone these days? :)

When he took the photo of the back of my car, they were laughing away, and he kept showing the photo to the learner. :D

What's the difference between someone taking a photo of your dog in your property and your dog in the dog park? Not having a go but just really interested. And laughing - in what way? Was he laughing that the sight of your dog was making him happy or laughing in some other manner? eg if I laugh at a stranger's dog doing zoomies, how do you know I'm not laughing at crappy movement or just laughing because I'm having a moment of joy?

I hope you see what I mean.

i think you are talking about the crux of this discussion :rofl: .... intent...what is the intent of the photographer, it seems to me that is one very big part of the equation.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

It was the back of my car, like number plate area. Not the back window.

I guess with the property bit, when out at a dog park, there is less chance of someone getting me in the photo, and less chance of remember what my house looks like, or car, as I have a car that REALLY stands out.

I mean, cadbury purple wagon, pink on it, with white writing down the side. Mum's idea... On top of that, my I caught my neighbours in my yard trying to steal Miss Alexis once. Very protective these days!

Its hard to explain about the laughter, something was unbelievably funny to him about the back of my car. :D It wasn't an mean or evil laugh, just funny to him.

Edited by Pointees

I understand the number plate thing. And I understand that something about the laughter gave you a gut reaction. If he had taken the photo and looked as if he was laughing in a Nawww look at that boofy pointer in the back of a car, would you have felt differently?

I was driving the other day, just myself and one of the dogs (pretty Alexis), someone behind us, got out there camera phone, took a photo of the back of my car, pulled up next to me (while driving along) and took a photo of Alexis... :whee:

Was not happy!

On top of that, the person was meant to be supervising a 'learner driver' :rock:

:):rofl::( That is seriously creepy IMO

I don't mind if people take photos of me and my dog if we are at a dog event ie Kepala and post it on FB or DOL without my permission it's pretty much a given we all take photos and automatically post them up. However, if we are just at the park or at a cafe sitting outside or something I rather they ask me if i am being included in the photo especially because I want to know what is going to be done to the photo as in what the photo is for. I have a dog who always seems to smile and look pretty for photos, so I guess maybe thats why people always want to take photos of her? :D

:D :):rofl: That is seriously creepy IMO

Why is it creepy, though? Was I creepy for taking a photo of the back of someone's car when I was testing my iphone? Quite frankly I didnt even think - hey shit I'm taking the photo of the back of someone's car, the rego might be in it and look at the back of that guy's head - he's grey or bald or needs a haircut.