Toilet Training - Am I Missing Something?

Kirty

She IS a greyhound, so a little slow on the uptake, but this is getting ridiculous!

I've never had any trouble toilet training greyhounds, they are very clean dogs usually. Occasionally you will get one that takes a bit longer to get the idea but that is because of the dog itself, not the breed.

I do 'toilet' activities with Gus every day - his command is simply 'toilet', and I treat or praise (he's not hugely food-driven but is strongly praise-driven) or both. We do that every day, but our stumbling block does seem to be how he shows me that he needs to be out.

why not just take him out every few hrs? Mine can be inside for hrs and sound asleep when I suddenly decide it is time for them to go out and perform :laugh:

What about crating her, at least until she is 'safe' to leave in the house? This way you can control her actions and are ensured that whatever she does she will be praised for doing the right thing. Or if you can't crate her, then put her on the lead and when you feel her tug, check to see if she wantst to jump off bed. If she does, take her straight outside (carry her if you can so she doesn't squat), and keep her on the lead until she goes outside (treat her and praise) then back to bed, keeping her lead on.

You will just have to keep it up until she 'gets it'.

Absolutely agree dogmad, but it is a very tough situation. I suspect that Pia 'caused' the fight by snapping at Phoebe, but Phoebe has completely overreacted. They are 100% seperated for now and it was the first incident they've ever had. But Phoebe has hip dysplasia, food allergies, and is terrified of people. I can't just rehome her. And I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything else. :laugh:

I do 'toilet' activities with Gus every day - his command is simply 'toilet', and I treat or praise (he's not hugely food-driven but is strongly praise-driven) or both. We do that every day, but our stumbling block does seem to be how he shows me that he needs to be out.

why not just take him out every few hrs? Mine can be inside for hrs and sound asleep when I suddenly decide it is time for them to go out and perform :laugh:

I do. :D

In the morning, Gus goes out first thing, straight out of the house and outside to toilet. He always wees. If I wait a bit longer, he'll poo too.

Then back inside the house. After breakfast, same deal, out we go, and there'll be wees and poos.

Evening time, if I've been at work Gus has been in his run. I'll take him out of his run and use the 'toilet' command before letting him into the house. Then I usually take him out every hour or so. Hence the problems are intermittent. Say it's a weekend morning and I've had him up, out for wees and poos, he's had breakfast, had another wee, we stand in the yard for 15 minutes and no poos, so inside we come...

...and anywhere from 20 minutes later to three hours later, with little or no warning, and with or without trips outside in between, he'll vanish out of my sight for a minute and then reappear looking pleased, and a minute or two later I'll get this waft...

That's what I'm saying, in spite of sucessful toilet breaks over days - even weeks - it appears that if Gus REALLY gets the urge to go while he's indoors, he's going and he isn't going to ask me about it first.