Just Came Back From The Vet And Terribly Sad

Moselle

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...................... Never in my wildest nightmare would I have expected Sophie to be taken from me so suddenly. Happy, tail wagging furiously, forever coming to me for hugs...until Friday when I noticed she was quieter than usual....
[ just part of post quoted]

I was sitting here reading all the posts and thinking how shocking that so many dogs die of cancer and recalling my own experience. Not as quick and shocking as yours and many other, Moselle, but in retrospect, it should have been :laugh::eek: . My Nammu (1993-2002) was diagnosed with cancer and was PTS 6 weeks later. We tried to give him comfort and more time by removing his spleen, but we should have let him go. As has been said, by the time it is evident that something is wrong, it is too late.

Hugs to all of us and our precious companions.

Edited by Mother Moocher

Moselle, I have just gone throught this with my own dog. I did do the surgury and she did come out fine, but 5 weeks later she died in my arms. She ended up with a really bad chest infection. I just lost her last night, so I know what you are going through. If you are anything like me you would do anything for them.

May she rest in peace.

GTChick, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Fly free, little one. :)

Moselle, I truly am sorry for your loss. I lost my heart dog Cody (a Goldie x) back in 2006.

I took her to the vet and he found a huge cancer in her rectum (sorry, no other way to say it politely) and I had to PTS the following day. Yes, she was 16 but still a huge shock.

Fly free beautiful Sophie. :)

So Sorry Moselle, so unexpected and so sudden but you did the right thing. Let it all out, you never think you will get over it but you will but Sophie will not be forgotten.

Many hugs to you and R.I.P Sophie

Guest RANDCMOORE31

Moselle, I would just like to add my heartfelt condolences to all those already posted here. I hope in time once the pain diminishes a little that you will be able to remember all the good things and will know that Sophe is still with you in spirit. I believe we are much better people for having had the love of a gorgeous dog.

Moselle, I have just gone throught this with my own dog. I did do the surgury and she did come out fine, but 5 weeks later she died in my arms. She ended up with a really bad chest infection. I just lost her last night, so I know what you are going through. If you are anything like me you would do anything for them.

May she rest in peace.

I missed this, GTChick :thumbsup::) . Very raw and heartbreaking for you.

Deepest condolences.

May she rest in peace.

OMG so sorry GTC. You did all that you could to the end, you hoped that with surgery she would survive but darn that chest infection. She died in your arms.....and that is heartwrenching but she died being closest to the person she idolised and that is you.

We just have to muster the strength to souldier on, as everyone here has said....We have our memories and hopefully one day soon we can manage a smile, hopefully without the tears, the pain is unbelievably strong, I feel like a part of me has died with my Sophie, will I ever feel whole again? I hope so in the realisation that sophie knew just how much she was loved, from the very beginning to the very end...

May Sophie, your dog and every poster's departed pet.....RIP...and hopefully one day soon we can be reunited with our loved one/s.

My God, I am so torn inside, I know I could have been so much worse if not for your kind words; thank you everyone, you are all such a big big big inspiration to me, you can never imagine just how much.

I can still hear her bark, she wasn't a nuisance barker....at feeding time she would let out a bark to let me know it was her turn, I step out there expecting to hear that bark but it's no longer, I step out expecting for her to come to me for her pats, her shoulder on my lap....and now it is all just a memory, I can no longer feel the texture of her coat, I just wish I had one more hour with her to tell her just how much she means to me even though I told her that countless times before, it doesn't seem real, she can't be gone, life sucks right now but I do draw strength in the knowledge that I am not alone.....a deep thank you to everyone that has posted here xx0xx

These sorts of "appearances" will happen for a long time and probably off and on forever. It is very very hard and my heart go out to you dealing with this huge loss.

A tiny little rescue of mine died just over two years ago and I can say, hand on heart, that not a day goes by still that I do not think of him. He used to do the "boundary check" of the fences and I can still see him - he was all of 2 kilos and had a funny little plodding walk when he was on a mission to smell every fence and every blade of grass.

This is Tirra - the little black and white dog; Red Danny, thank god, is still with me.

ZhiZhicloseupsandPaul004.jpg

ZhiZhicloseupsandPaul005.jpg

ETA: Looking at the pix (I haven't for a long time) made me remember that my brother is sitting on the floor because Tirra was trying to get on his lap and couldn't manage it. So he sat on the floor so Danny could smooch too. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mother Moocher

Moselle, I was so very sorry to read how you lost your beloved Sophie. It brought back tears for my lovely Sam (IMHA 2001 - from fit and trialling in obedience to dead in less than a week), and my Fergus - whom I lost to an accidental poisoning in 2008 - and my darling old Jessie - who I said goodbye to in 2002 - as well as my friend's lovely Golden Retriever heart dog, lost in the same way as your Sophie in January 2009.

You will always have your dear girl in your heart, and the pain will become a little less raw as time goes on - and like me, you will be lucky enough to have other tails wagging for you, and other chins resting on your knee (as I have right now).

As Erny and another poster said a few pages back, one of the very special things about DOL is that, whatever differing view we have on other issues, we all come together in our love for our dogs, and our shared grief when another loved dog crosses the bridge.

what a terrible thing for you

it does rip your heart out and the fact it came out of the blue worsens it

i am so so sorry

we all love our dogs far too much for our own good

it is such a tender trap we are caught in

and this is the price we pay when they pass on

but thats what we do..again and again

take comfort in knowing that Sophie was loved and had a good home and that her story has made us all so sad

youre not alone in your grief

may you find peace soon

I am so very sorry for your loss, and for the others who so tragically lost their babies recently. The pain does ease, even though you feel as though it won't. One day you will look around and smile at a memory, without the tearing pain you feel now. Just know that they are always here with us, giving us their unconditional love now and always.

RIP :laugh: dearest friends.

May she rest in peace.

OMG so sorry GTC. You did all that you could to the end, you hoped that with surgery she would survive but darn that chest infection. She died in your arms.....and that is heartwrenching but she died being closest to the person she idolised and that is you.

We just have to muster the strength to souldier on, as everyone here has said....We have our memories and hopefully one day soon we can manage a smile, hopefully without the tears, the pain is unbelievably strong, I feel like a part of me has died with my Sophie, will I ever feel whole again? I hope so in the realisation that sophie knew just how much she was loved, from the very beginning to the very end...

May Sophie, your dog and every poster's departed pet.....RIP...and hopefully one day soon we can be reunited with our loved one/s.

Thankyou for the kind words, my name is Lisa and my dogs name was Shannon and was my heart dog. I miss her every so much.

It sucks that they leave you, she was only 6 years old and had alot to give.

A part of my also went with Shannon as well and I know in time it will get better. It is just nice to talk too others that have gone through it and understand what were are going through.

But she will always be a part of my the same as Sophie will always be a part of you. May they both RIP.

Take care and ever what to chat feel free to message me

Sorry to read of your loss Moselle. It's always hard to let them go. However had you not done what you did her suffering would have been much greater later on. You have done the kind thing that none of us wants to do, but one day we all must. She would have wanted you to end it with no suffering for her.

In regard to the not surviving the surgery I can understand this. We had an 11 year old that underwent emergency surgery earlier this year, although the vet did warn us she might not make it. She went through surgery but when we put her into the recovery cage she passed away. The vet asked if I wanted her revived but it was better that she went the way she did as she was anaemic.

Edited by yarracully