Clipping For Summer...

Is it reasonable? Nope it is a horrible job. You get bitten, covered in fleas, it is physically hard work etc etc. You should be paying double!

It really used to bug me that people questioned the cost of a clip but happily went and spent hundreds at the hairdressers!

This x 100000. Grooming really is a thankless job. :laugh: Yes, it looks expensive, but considering they get a bath, blowdry, nails, flea rinse, ears cleaned and check, eyes cleaned and checked, anal glands squeezed if asked, a general check over and the clip it is more than reasonable.

YOU may look after your dogs, S&F, but most owners do not. I think it takes someone to start grooming their dogs themselves to realise what a pain it can be!! It does end up being a hell of a lot cheaper tho. Just make sure you buy a decent clipper (andis, wahl, laube), get advice in regards to blades and service and clean as appropriate. It is a large set up cost (you're looking at $300+ and even then won't get a proper clean unless you get a shower attachment for your bath/laundry sink or get them hydroed or do a REALLY good scrub with good quality shampoo) but will be worth it esp with two dogs. I charge $50 for a swf and that is not enough TBH. I am a complete soft touch tho and am getting out of the industry because my wussy heart can't take it anymore.

edit: and I've never heard of a groomer charging less for the 'off season'? A dog is still a dog.

Edited by Koemi

Cost is reasonable. Some states are cheaper than others & town or country can vary the cost too.

If those are the 2 dogs in your signature I would not think a once a year shave would be enough.

You can always trim then shorter with scissors if you have any skill as opposed to clipping as long as you brush & comb them regularly & properly.

Have to agree the cost is reasonable. Grooming is not an easy job. It is dirty backbreaking work and groomers earn every penny. As someone mentioned, compare it to a human hairdresser. They charge more, and they dont have to deal with poo, matted messes, or their customers constantly wiggling or trying to bite them!

$50-60 per dog is good!

Girl I work with pays $130 for a standard poodle to be groomed- nothing fancy- and he's done regularly.

Alternative: Buy a pair of GOOD clippers e.g. Wahl KM2 for about $200. This will usually include a #10 blade suitable for a yearly shave-off.

Any cheaper clippers are a waste of money as they will make twice the work, assuming they will cut the coat at all (been there, done that!).

Other alternative: Brush and comb out the dog's coats over summer and don't worry about shaving them off.

You may get away with scissoring them yourself provided their coats are well cared for.

What is the deal with dogs being itchy after they are clipped. I have wondered if it is because these dogs are not done very often and are not used to having short hair???? I am itchy after going to the hairdresser sometimes - a bit of baby powder and wipe with a towel fixes this as it is shaved/scissored hair on my skin. My poodles are clipped fortnightly (face, feet and tail with 30 blade) and they are never itchy - likewise my showdogs when in continental trim were shaved with a 40 blade (surgical) on large portions of their body including testicles and vulva yet never scratched after clipping :( ;) :(

Prices seem very reasonable.

Edited by frufru

my mini schnauzer gets itchy for a couple of days after he's clipped. and he is done every 3 months or so. it isn't their shampoo because they've changed it a few times to try and test if that is the cause. it doesn't seem to be the doggy cologne they can sometimes put on as they don't put it on him anymore at my ask. we are at a loss as to what causes his itching but for the three/four days after a clip he is an itchy little man! he gets plenty of oils and fish, his coat is fine, not dry or flakey...he just gets itchy for a couple of days?

i think the price is very reasonable SnF. i pay around $65 every three months for a wash, nails, breed-specific clip, ears, scissoring etc for a small(ish, he's on the big side of the breed standard) dog.

hello again :laugh: and thanks everyone for your insights and advice!

firstly, i wasn't griping about the cost; i was merely asking whether it was reasonable and so it would seem that it is :)

secondly, let me clarify: i have two swfs and one cat [see my sig below]...

we've had bella since she was 12 weeks old and she is now 2yrs 4mo and she's never been clipped [except for her face and butt] --- her fur just doesn't warrant it nor does it grow long.

byron is 3yrs-ish and we've had him for just over 1yr and in that time he's never been clipped [except for his face and butt] --- his fur just doesn't warrant it nor does it grow very long.

i brush all 3 weekly; the dogs with a rubber mit followed by a soft brush and then with a pin brush, lastly and every so often back brushing with a slicker --- i run the slicker over the cat...

neither dog drops coat, both coats are fine altho bella's is wirey medium length while byron's is straight and a bit longer --- given the nature of their coats neither dog imo needs a regular clipping...

this last trip was the 3rd time i've taken them this year and the plan is:

every november [ready for the summer heat and humidity]:

the dogs get clipped and all that entails, nails trimmed, bathed [i assume a hydro], blow dried and a spritz of doggy aromatics; and

the cat gets bathed and her nails trimmed; and

every feb, may and aug:

the dogs get a face and butt trim, nails trimmed, a bath [i assume a hydro], a blow dry and a spritz of doggy aromatics; and

the cat gets bathed and her nails trimmed.

as for the itching, i put that down to the close shave both had along both sides of their belly, the butt end of their tails and of course down their respective cute lil tushies :(

i no longer desire to do the grooming myself because on close inspection, there is NO WAY i could achieve the same result :(

I think you have a good plan for coat maintenance :laugh: Sounds like you look after their coats really well. Most cross breed dogs have really hard coats to look after as they matt quickly so you're obviously doing a good job!