Clipping For Summer...

i anticipate that, given their particular coat, i will not need to clip again until summer next year...

Summer is generally ever 6 weeks. I clip mine down weekly. It depends how much you can look after their coats. If you want them short through summer best invest in some clippers. Get a decent pair and they will pay for themselves instead of 2-3 salon clips.

Mine get clipped about every 8 weeks give or take. I have my own clippers and do it myself, saves money and I can clip them how I like them to look! You do well if you only need to have them done once year.

i anticipate that, given their particular coat, i will not need to clip again until summer next year...

Summer is generally ever 6 weeks. I clip mine down weekly. It depends how much you can look after their coats. If you want them short through summer best invest in some clippers. Get a decent pair and they will pay for themselves instead of 2-3 salon clips.

Summer over six weeks. Well it may be where you live but what about Queensland and the other states. Summer can be over six months. :laugh:

Many people clip off because of ticks and the problem one can have have finding them in a heavily coated dog.

Dogs are better left with the coat on where possible as it insulates them from the heat.

How often you get a groomer to clip them will depend on how much coat care you are prepared to do yourself (and actually do!).

As a groomer I used to hate doing the once a year 'shave downs' on little fluffy dogs - usually at this time of year as everyone wanted their dog looking good for Christmas. Generally the dogs were a matted mess as the owners decide they need to be left long for winter, but dont maintin the coat themselves and the coats come off in one piece. Often sores and skin conditions underneath and often owners professed to have 'brushed them regularly' (if so - it was over the top and not the whole coat!). Often the owners also wanted the coat to be left 'fluffy' - which was an impossibility as the only way to do it was to clip off under the felted matts close to the skin. Must be a relief for a dog with a coat like this to not have all those uncomfortable knots and matts pulling on their skin, at least for a little while.

If you are prepared to COMB your dogs coat through regularly all over you can get away with clipping less often. I had a few clients who were fantastic like this and their dogs were beautiful (the difference in one dogs coat when he had to be rehomed due to a marriage breakdown and the new owner reverted to the 'once a year shavedown' made me cry when I saw him). If not, then every four to six weeks maximum for most SWF coats. Even in winter. Nothing worse than a matted mess of a coat in winter. If you cut it short in winter they can always wear a dog coat and be aware that if their coat is longer and they wear a coat the rubbing will increase the rate of matt development so you will need to comb more.

If you feel up to the challenge then buying a (decent!) set of clippers and doing it yourself can save money in the long run. Remember too that even if you keep the body well combed out that trimming around the eyes, feet and rear should generally be done every few weeks to keep them clean and tidy. Either way, the tradeoff for a non shedding coat is higher levels of coat maintenance either by an owner or a groomer. I always try and emphsise with anyone getting these types of dogs factor this extra time and cost into the equasion when looking at these types of breeds.

Summer over six weeks. Well it may be where you live but what about Queensland and the other states. Summer can be over six months. :cry:

:laugh:Every 6 weeks. I missed the 'y' off the end.

Summer over six weeks. Well it may be where you live but what about Queensland and the other states. Summer can be over six months. :)

:laugh:Every 6 weeks. I missed the 'y' off the end.

:):):rofl:

Princess Mini and Master Grumpy are going to have a haircut over the next few days. Yesterday was 'clean bum day', where I cleaned up doggy backsides. Today is head day. Not sure how I'm going to do the Grumpy man's beard yet. Difficult to comb underneath a muzzle!

I have a toy poodle and find that over summer I clip her about every 3 weeks, she gets a straight blade (no combs) all over except the legs, ears and top of her head. Around the bum, through to under the belly and around the face I go against the lay of the hair, so she is ultra short there (Read- bald). I basically try and expose as much of the belly as I can. I also take her feet up to just above her ankles so she does not pick up as many prickles when we are out walking.

Probably a bit over the top, I guess, however we all (4 dogs) walk every afternoon and when it is 40+ degrees (even after 6pm) she needs to be as cool as possible. Plus she has a black coat so as soon as she is in the sun she heats up in a hurry.

I have tried telling the groomer what I wanted her to do when she clipped her, but am never happy and it is easier to do myself.

Edited by piperspal

i find using a bandage as a muzzle works well as you can slide it just enough to do a reasonable job of trimming near the mouth (and then if needed, using a proper muzzle for the rest of the trim)

A knee high stocking does a good job as a muzzle on little dogs. Not sure what if I'd use it on a larger dog.

:laugh: thanks for your replies!

firstly, neither bella nor byron have heavy coats nor do they have what i'm told is a secondary coat and they shed very very very little :confused:

and secondly, i brush [with 3 different brushes] weekly; a rubber mit, followed by a soft brush and then pins --- every so often i'll back brush with a slicker !?? [wirey yet softish] brush :laugh:

they both have long-ish hair: bella's being medium length wire-ish [is that the right spelling?!?] hair, byron's longer but straight and parted in the middle :wave:

we've had some pretty interesting weather lately and even tho i reckon we're in for a mild summer here in sydney, i didn't want my dogs feeling 'it' SO they were both given a groom today and i hafta say, i already miss their fluffy selves :shrug:

further to that, mother nature pissed on us today, making it likely to be the coldest day in november in recorded history *spits*

irrespective, it will likely be sweltering heat in the next day, week, month and so then i will feel vindicated *punches air*

i was assured by the groomer that come winter, their coats will be well on the way to full length and THAT is what i wanted :laugh:

i had bobbie [the torbie] bathed today as well :laugh: she smells just as gorgeous :laugh:

k, so now to tin tax...

irrespective of how great they all smell, feel to the touch and what that does for our environment, is $146 for a bath, nail trim and cut [for two] PLUS a bath and nail trim [for one] a lot!?!?

in the off season [ie, every 3 months], we only do a bath, face and butt trim for the dogs and nail trim for all 3 = $107.50 ... bella and bryon won't be getting another total body job 'til next november but i think bobbie would do well being bathed every 3 months!

so, every 3 months = $118! in the off season! is that reasonable!??!

byron has always had itchy skin and i think him now having a close cut may have exacerbated that condition --- i used a wet towel and wiped him over [particularly his under parts] then applied some aloveen conditioner and that seems to have calmed him down and he is now sleeping peacefully :laugh:

bella too is scratching a wee bit more but it doesn't seem to be to the same level as byron :rofl:

they are both paying particular attention to their respective bare bits and butts! i hope it will pass in the next day or too, otherwise i'll be on the phone with the groomers on monday for an explanation and perhaps some remedy! i should bare *no pun* in mind that this is the first time i've had either of them trimmed [i don't know about byron's previous life tho, but most definitely i do with bella]...

there is more to this topic than meets the eye :eek: but i shall save that for another thread :laugh:

i am keen to explore and take on the self-groom role!

oh, back to my questions please refer bolded bits above

srsly, thanks for your input :laugh:

edited to correct formatting

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

When I was grooming, we charged $60-$70 to clip a dog. That included a hydrobath, nails, complete blow dry, etc. We preferred to clip every 3 months - the once a year clips were always awful. And I'll never forget the one that hadn't been brushed or clipped for 2 years. :confused::laugh:

irrespective of how great they all smell, feel to the touch and what that does for our environment, is $146 for a bath, nail trim and cut [for two] PLUS a bath and nail trim [for one] a lot!?!?

in the off season [ie, every 3 months], we only do a bath, face and butt trim for the dogs and nail trim for all 3 = $107.50 ... bella and bryon won't be getting another total body job 'til next november but i think bobbie would do well being bathed every 3 months!

so, every 3 months = $118! in the off season! is that reasonable!??!

Im not 100% clear on the above and it's difficult to ascertain without seeing the dogs. I charge $60 for a small dog to be clipped washed, ears, nails etc, and it would depend on the coat of the Bath Only dog but say JRT type I would charge about $30-35. SO I think the $146 you paid is on the money and actually a little on the cheaper side.

Re. the 'off season' I guess every groomer is different. I don't ever just bathe a dog, every fluffy also has a tidy and I charge $40-45 for this. So given one of your dogs wont need a tidy (bath only) I still think you are being given a fair price. I rarely do just baths/tidies though as I do scissor styles a lot more through winter. It keeps the dog looking styled but still fluffy without getting out of control. I also think the groomer telling you every 3 months she doesn't seem like shes trying to rip you off at all. Rule of thumb is 6-8 weeks, if your dogs are light coated and the groomer knows you maintain the cats then once again, she is on the money for 3 months IMO. :(

Is it reasonable? Nope it is a horrible job. You get bitten, covered in fleas, it is physically hard work etc etc. You should be paying double!

It really used to bug me that people questioned the cost of a clip but happily went and spent hundreds at the hairdressers!

The cost seems very reasonable for me. I keep my two a fair bit shorter in summer, mainly because I'm concerned about grass seeds getting into their coat if it is longer. In winter there are no grass seeds around, so I relax a bit and keep it longer.

But it is definitely more work when it is longer.

I bathe and trim them every 2-3 weeks at home all year round these days. I used to go to the groomer's every 7 weeks and get it cut down really short, and in those days only did bathing and brushing at home, no trimming.

I agree with earlier posts that an annual clip-down just doesn't do the job. The dogs will be matted and horrible long before then, unless you do a lot (seriously, a LOT) of coat maintenance at home (which well within the year would need to include trimming the coat anyway).

Edited by Zug Zug

For me to clip your dogs, you'd be looking at $60 plus for each of them.

That's clipped, ears cleaned, nails done, bathed, blow dried, clipped and scissored to finish.

You'd pay the same any time of the year for the above.

I'm the same as Clyde for baths and blow dry, I scissor where appropriate , the feet, face and bum.