Dog Behaviour Question

Max#1

Just a general question about dog behaviour. Not sure if there's an answer, but anyway!

My 7 month old pup has a funny habit. When I, or my OH, get home he always has to go and get something in his mouth before greeting us. Its usually what he's just been chewing on. He'll then hold it in his mouth and come up to say hello all wiggle-bum and rolling over. It is quite cute.

Any suggestions on why he might do this (the getting something in his mouth bit that is)? For example, is he offering it to us as a gift? Is he a little mental? He won't want to keep chewing it after that, and I have no problems taking it from his mouth....

(I'm fascinated by dog behaviour - and particularly curious about pack-hierarchy theories between humans and dogs in the average suburban home.... )

Edited by Max#1

It's a type of arousal displacement. The activity of putting something in the mouth is out of context with what is happening! The dog uses it as a substitute behaviour when it feels in conflict, it can reduce the anxiety the dog feels in the moment and then becomes a habit. Also can be reinforced by us laughing at the dog. My girl does it often when she's at the kennels with strange dogs, she grabs leaves, sticks, anything in her mouth and then proceeds to try and herd the other dogs. They all look at her as if she's mad! Although the good thing is it muffles her barking! :laugh:

Elbie doesn't greet us with a toy but he likes to be a lap dog sometimes and when he was very wee, if he didn't have a toy, he'd start gnawing on clothes and fingers - so OH always encouraged him to have a toy when he was in 'lap dog' mode. Now, whenever he's invited over to play or cuddle, he feels compelled to bring a toy - sometimes he'll search around for ages looking for a toy before finally coming over!

Just a general question about dog behaviour. Not sure if there's an answer, but anyway!

My 7 month old pup has a funny habit. When I, or my OH, get home he always has to go and get something in his mouth before greeting us. Its usually what he's just been chewing on. He'll then hold it in his mouth and come up to say hello all wiggle-bum and rolling over. It is quite cute.

Any suggestions on why he might do this (the getting something in his mouth bit that is)? For example, is he offering it to us as a gift? Is he a little mental? He won't want to keep chewing it after that, and I have no problems taking it from his mouth....

(I'm fascinated by dog behaviour - and particularly curious about pack-hierarchy theories between humans and dogs in the average suburban home.... )

Sorry, I don't have any profound insights (except the observation of a similar experience which also seems to relate to excitement/pleasure). One of mine always grabs a toy to take with him when he knows we are going somewhere in the car. I regularly have a car full of toys. Always reminds me of the way children want to take something with them in the car. It's a quirky behaviour (and looks quite cute esp. given he's a tiny dog). When I first got him, he would also take the toys with him on walks. He's mostly chihuahua so not a retriever or anything but he is extremely toy oriented. Always has one close at hand/paw.

Di

Elbie doesn't greet us with a toy but he likes to be a lap dog sometimes and when he was very wee, if he didn't have a toy, he'd start gnawing on clothes and fingers - so OH always encouraged him to have a toy when he was in 'lap dog' mode. Now, whenever he's invited over to play or cuddle, he feels compelled to bring a toy - sometimes he'll search around for ages looking for a toy before finally coming over!
Haha, mine does this as well! His favorite toy at the moment is a big bunch of celery. So he'll grasp the celery in his mouth by the leaves and back up as he drags it along the ground and sort of reverse right into my lap. Then he chews it all up and my legs will be covered in celery juice. :laugh:

Maggie does the same thing.

When anyone comes to the door she runs off searching for her toy and then greets the visitor. After 5 years I think it has turned into a "look at me " now as everyone comments on how cute it is .

What breed of dog? This type of behaviour is often stronger in those breeds which are bred to retrieve (and carry things in their mouth).

Mine is an Aussie, the strange thing is that she is not the slightest bit interested in retrieving. Throw a ball and she looks at you as if to say "why did you do that?", yet the same ball will be given as an offering to us or our other dog :laugh:

It being a displacement behaviour does make sense. I guess it has a similar effect to yawning, which is what our other dog does when excited.

Kivi is well known for doing this, and I agree with Jigsaw. It's a displacement thing. Kivi seems to use it to keep himself calm. The way I see it, dogs have a level of arousal they are comfortable with and if they get above that level in some contexts they start doing things to calm themselves down again. Kivi's threshold is quite low. As soon as he gets a little bit excited he grabs a toy and stands there wagging his tail with his ears pinned back looking adorable. He often comes and pushes the toy against peoples' legs. He then walks around and around with the toy in his mouth until he feels calmer again. If he doesn't have a toy his arousal goes up higher and we see different behaviours, like barking and dancing in greeting instead of standing there wagging his tail. My other dog doesn't do it, but tongue flicks a lot.

Like I said, though, it's context-dependent. Kivi will cheerfully run around the park without something in his mouth (except perhaps Erik's tail) and not feel particularly compelled to calm himself down. In that context it's appropriate and safe to be more aroused. But when the game is over we'll see displacement behaviour again, usually a body shake.

ETA Wuffles, is Ava a bit on the naturally mouthy side? Kivi isn't much of a retriever either, but is quite mouthy. He is extremely gentle with his mouth, but never quite grew out of mouthing completely. These days it is restricted usually to quiet play and displays of affection.

Edited by corvus

ETA Wuffles, is Ava a bit on the naturally mouthy side? Kivi isn't much of a retriever either, but is quite mouthy. He is extremely gentle with his mouth, but never quite grew out of mouthing completely. These days it is restricted usually to quiet play and displays of affection.

Nope, she's never been mouthy, even as a pup. She's a licker instead. It's kind of funny because I'm trying to teach her a retrieve at the moment and the problem she has is holding the dumbbell. She'll pick it up and chuck it at me over and over again. Yet when she has a toy in her mouth, she will walk around the house or yard with it in her mouth for a whole five or even ten minutes.

I also see what you mean about calming them down... when I think about it, if she can't find something to hold in her mouth she often jumps up a lot and does zoomies and launches herself at our older dog. With the toy she wriggles and whines but doesn't go too nutty.

What breed of dog? This type of behaviour is often stronger in those breeds which are bred to retrieve (and carry things in their mouth).

I think I tend to agree with this well in my case any how, My youngest does this when we come home, he will go to the toy box and grab something or if there is a toy on the floor he will grab it. He also does it first thing in the morning, if tyhere is something in his path from the crate to the bed he brings it with him, he is very soft mouthed and really only holds the objexct lightly. He is Poodle X Cocker and there is not much poodle in this boy at all, he has so many Cocker traits and I feel this is one of them. I hope he never stops it's so cute, apart from if he grabs a sock and one of the other 3 decide it is tug of war time :grimace: holey socks for me!!

I think I tend to agree with this well in my case any how, My youngest does this when we come home, he will go to the toy box and grab something or if there is a toy on the floor he will grab it. He also does it first thing in the morning, if tyhere is something in his path from the crate to the bed he brings it with him, he is very soft mouthed and really only holds the objexct lightly. He is Poodle X Cocker and there is not much poodle in this boy at all, he has so many Cocker traits and I feel this is one of them. I hope he never stops it's so cute, apart from if he grabs a sock and one of the other 3 decide it is tug of war time :grimace: holey socks for me!!

One of my poodles and my Whippet both do this. Both retrieve also.

tlc you know that poodles ARE originally a retrieving breed don't you.. ??

So I had to google displacement behaviour and was initially worried as it seemed to be about anxiety!

If I understand correctly, when we return to the house, the dog wants to lick our mouths/jump up or sniff us in a way that would be inappropriate (ha!). As we've discouraged all these behaviours, he has to find something else to do as an outlet for his emotions. So its not a bad thing that they're doing it, and doesn't indicate anxiety, but rather happiness to see us.

The only other time he does it is at the park. He loves to be chased and will often grab something in his mouth (stick/leaf/etc), show another dog, then take off in the hope of being chased. Its pretty funny as well.