What's The Answer Number 4

Steve

Sorry, I went to delete the last comment. It was uneccesarry. I'm in a snippy mood ATM.

Don't worry - I already thought I might be coming across as being negative to your suggestions even though I didn't intend to. So no need to apologise. All is good :laugh::laugh: .

I think what we need to realise (including me) is that our ideas/suggestions will be relevant to the demographics of the area that we live in/frequent.

Edited by Erny

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mornington Peninsula council area have large permanent signs with animal related rule reminders on them all over their council area- at the edge of cafe strips and parks or by busy roads. They say things like "Cats must be confined to property 24 hours" etc. I think these are great and don't know why more councils don't have similar?

I've found the same Erny- not allowed to provide information sessions through council for free because its against policy.. Crazy!

Mornington Peninsula council area have large permanent signs with animal related rule reminders on them all over their council area- at the edge of cafe strips and parks or by busy roads. They say things like "Cats must be confined to property 24 hours" etc. I think these are great and don't know why more councils don't have similar?

Probably because a lot of people dont read signs. Have you ever been in a bank where it says Queue Here and some idiot walks straight up to the counter and asks where to queue? :laugh:

Probably because a lot of people dont read signs. Have you ever been in a bank where it says Queue Here and some idiot walks straight up to the counter and asks where to queue? :laugh:

Actually no, but I don't doubt that it happens. But most people DO queue, so in some cases signs can help, although I wonder on the cost -vs- effectiveness though. I also wonder how many of them just serve as graffiti pallets.

although I wonder on the cost -vs- effectiveness though. I also wonder how many of them just serve as graffiti pallets.

Exactly. Good point. Or target practice.

Edited by raz

what peeves me is the express checkouts where you are only supposed to have 10 items or less and someone goes up with 34 items. again it comes down to ignorance and not being accountable for actions and not giving a you know what about who else it affects

Agree with the availablility of rangers out of hours - and better presence during 'peak dog walking' times.

This could include presence at dog parks and designated offlead areas - rewarding those doing the right thing (even a 'good job - well done' makes people feel good!!) and policing/providing advice and information to those that may need 'a little help'

One of the main problems with dog parks I hear time and time again is owners not properly supervising their dogs or reading their dogs body language. What about official 'in park educators' that can attend dog parks reasonably regularly during peak times - provide information, point things out regarding behaviour, educate and even direct owners what to do in the dog park as well as hand out information. Responsible owners do try to do this but without an 'official' standing they often dont have the clout to be listened to.

Incentive programs - attend a canine good citizen seminar and get a discount on something or something for free (council rego fees, get a sponsor to provide free dog food, discount on desexing etc etc)

Agree too that children need to be targetted in schools. Children are one of the greatests elements for change in areas such as the environment. They have been delivered the message and take that message home. But it needs to be more than a one off seminar to make a difference.

I have seen the 'small dog/large dog' style parks in the US. Basically there is an area set aside for small dogs only plus a much larger area for any dogs (large or small). Seems to work reasonably well.

I beleive there will always be irresponsible owners. The ones you will never reach no matter how hard you try. For them the only recourse may be greater policing of laws. It is the 'borderline' cases that need targetting first IMO as this is where the initial easier runs on the board will be gained. The ones that often take reasonably good care of their dogs (at least being well fed and reasonably well cared for) but often dont have much of a clue when it comes to 'good canine citizenship' or minding anyone but themselves. This is about education and that education has to go to them as we can't expect them to necessarily come to the education.

I just had a very simple idea regarding this. Remember years back where people would have Neighbourhood Watch stickers on their letterboxes to indicate a safe place and responsible resident inside? What about something similar for good dog owners? People who had registered and perhaps even obedience trained dogs, or social dogs able to spend time with other social dogs could have stickers on their letterboxes. This could indicate to new residents or even potential new dog owners in your street someone who was like minded and who could give advice on local vets, dog parks, etc. I'm not saying people with stickers were experts on dog matters (no-one expected neighbourhood watch people to be experts at anything) but linking people with similar interests might provide a support and trouble shooting network.

As an example - I own 3 dogs who we take to the beach and several local parks, including an agility park. I also have a great vet. A new neighbour with a dog moves in and knows none of these things about the area but sees I have a sticker and might come and ask me for some suggestions. It would be up to the owner what they then did of course. And a household with a single dog might benefit from interaction with another dog, or an owner might need to be away overnight. I'd be happy to try my dogs with other new dogs on play dates and I'd also be happy to feed a neighbour's dog and keep an eye and ear on it for a night. I have that kind of relationship with a couple of my direct neighbours now but lots of neighbourhoods have lost that. We spend all our time indoors behind locked screens and surrounded by 6 foot fences.

I rarely have problems with irresponsible owners around my area. Is anyone in the same boat? What are the common factors about areas that have a lot of issues and areas that don't? We are in the outer suburbs, a mixture of classes (mainly low to medium). Lots of walking paths and a few off leash areas. Lots of dogs around. Not sure if anything stands out or if it's just luck.

Bins is a big one for me! I walk around a local lake which takes about an hour, and the only bin is one in a park off to the side. Carrying two stinky bags for 45 minutes sucks :eek:

In the ACT, dogs that pass a certain level of obedience attract cheaper registration fees. :rofl:

Does this still apply? Lifetime registration is now under $50 so I don't think it's much incentive even if it's still going on. Both my dogs have passed the necessary level for this at dog club but didn't receive anything for it :laugh: Doesn't mean they are necessarily well behaved either :laugh:

So if we want to have a fair go at turning this around what is the answer? No law changes

More rangers to implement the laws we already have, and/or to place articles in local newspapers, give community talks etc? But then it comes down to council allocated money. Hard question. Will ponder a bit more.

Agreed.

Warringah Council recently held a Responsible Pet Owner night and had Kirsti Seksel as a speaker (well I remember it was someone I had heard of and I am pretty sure it was her). I thought that was definitely as step in the right direction.

As I have said before, I think we could go a long way by just seeing basic leash, microchipping laws enforced. It shouldn't be up to responsible owners to have to cop abuse when they tell people to put their dog on a lead.

Hi, yes it was Kirsti. She is very good and was one of the first dog behaviourists. That was pretty well advertised too - local newspapers, flyers at dog parks, pet shops, groomers etc.

I just had a very simple idea regarding this. Remember years back where people would have Neighbourhood Watch stickers on their letterboxes to indicate a safe place and responsible resident inside? What about something similar for good dog owners? People who had registered and perhaps even obedience trained dogs, or social dogs able to spend time with other social dogs could have stickers on their letterboxes. This could indicate to new residents or even potential new dog owners in your street someone who was like minded and who could give advice on local vets, dog parks, etc. I'm not saying people with stickers were experts on dog matters (no-one expected neighbourhood watch people to be experts at anything) but linking people with similar interests might provide a support and trouble shooting network.

As an example - I own 3 dogs who we take to the beach and several local parks, including an agility park. I also have a great vet. A new neighbour with a dog moves in and knows none of these things about the area but sees I have a sticker and might come and ask me for some suggestions. It would be up to the owner what they then did of course. And a household with a single dog might benefit from interaction with another dog, or an owner might need to be away overnight. I'd be happy to try my dogs with other new dogs on play dates and I'd also be happy to feed a neighbour's dog and keep an eye and ear on it for a night. I have that kind of relationship with a couple of my direct neighbours now but lots of neighbourhoods have lost that. We spend all our time indoors behind locked screens and surrounded by 6 foot fences.

I like your idea, it sounds really easy to implement and would certainly assist new people that have recently moved to an area. I heard that Neighbourhood Watch may be coming back, which would be a terrific idea!!

I like Puppy Sniffers idea, there are some great suggestions here.

Agree with education for children. Children also teach their parents, mine have taught me a lot and will continue to I have no doubt.

There’s nothing like being pulled up on something by your children!

I wouldn’t know how to use a computer if not for my kids! :D

I am doing a talk for my 6 year old shortly, there’s now two classes coming. We are taking in a dog, doing tricks, and training also educating on a range of issues.

Hope to do up some info the kids can take home to Mum and Dad, stickers from the shelter etc.

As an aside and venting my frustrations; What about a tazer gun, I could have fun with one of those! :)

(kidding of course)

Steve - I wonder if one of the Banks would sponsor MDBA for a "Responsible Dog Owner Day". ??? Far fetched?

All things are possible Erny

But what synergy is there between a bank and dogs or the MDBA? In my experience, banks usually seek links with financial literacy.