Bergamasco Shepherd Dogs!

Miss Squish

After researching quite a few different breeds for my next dog, I discovered the Bergamasco Shepherd dog and after reading all I could on the breed and totally falling for them,I deceided to go to NSW to meet my first Bergamasco :o

OMG this breed are absolutely stunning...they have the most amazing coat and such great temperaments, totally lapped up all the attention they could get and were so friendly and loving :laugh:

The breeder was excellent and Im so glad she imported this beautiful breed and put in the hard work to have them recognised in Australia!

... fingers crossed there will be a puppy for me some time next year :mad

SDC18224.jpg

SDC18211.jpg

SDC18180.jpg

SDC18193.jpg

SDC18209.jpg

SDC18188.jpg

SDC18174.jpg

SDC18142-1.jpg

SDC18197.jpg

THE BERGAMASCO !

They are Italian yes?

When were they first brought to Oz?

GR8 pics :laugh: They look very ummm hairy and matted lol :o

Tell us a bit about them - Their temperament and personality? U finally met a real Bergamasco!

So if U hav A Chinese Shar Pei named ASIA - What name will ur ITALIAN BERGAMASCO hav? Rosa? :mad

HOW EXCITING !

As lovely as they look, I always worry about the practical side of things. I've got two hairy dogs (not as hairy as a Bearded Collie though) and when they get upset stomachs which is luckily not very often, the rear end is a real nightmare. Then there's the grooming aspect, it's a lot of work requiring a great deal of commitment.

It's great that you are researching in detail, I've learned that hairy dogs are not right for me no matter how gorgeous they look.

Nothing against the breed and this is just a personal thing, but I need a dog I can stroke and actually feel the dog. But I do like the look of the dog - I'd like the brushed out version though, lol.

Question (dumb one) .... what is the difference between the matting of this long coat and the matting of the coats of other dog breeds who are not 'supposed' to be matted?

No offence to anyone who admire/raise/own/show/breed these dogs intended.

Edited by Erny

Nothing against the breed and this is just a personal thing, but I need a dog I can stroke and actually feel the dog. But I do like the look of the dog - I'd like the brushed out version though, lol.

Question (dumb one) .... what is the difference between the matting of this long coat and the matting of the coats of other dog breeds who are not 'supposed' to be matted?

No offence to anyone who admire/raise/own/show/breed these dogs intended.

The principle is the same - a non shedding coat that "felts" or matts into the coat. You've got the option of brushing and clipping it, keeping it brushed out (impractical in an outdoor working breed) or allowing it to cord. You can cord a good poodle coat. :eek:

2985842800_ae3d3c7183.jpg

A corded coat is highly weather resistant and offers good protection from wolves. However without careful grooming it becomes pretty stinky and your dog ends up looking like a lamington with grass etc in it. Its not low maintenance for the show ring.

Thanks PF.

I can well imagine a corded/matted coat would be a nightmare to keep 'nice', unless the dog's environment was seed and grass free.

Not meaning to sound antagonistic and my apologies to the OP as this is OT to your thread but it just doesn't seem worth creating another thread just to satisfy my query/thoughts, but what makes it ok for the Bergamasco Shepherd Dog to have a matted (corded) coat and yet for people to cry "foul" when other breeds end up having matted coats?

Many of the mats I see in coats end up pulling on the skin as the mat gets more and more dense. How would one stop that from happening to a dog such as the Bergamasco whose corded coat is accepted as part of its standard?

I am honestly puzzled and maybe it has a lot to do with the mountain load of coat maintenance of these dogs that perhaps I am not aware of and that goes well beyond my imagining :eek:.

Thanks PF.

I can well imagine a corded/matted coat would be a nightmare to keep 'nice', unless the dog's environment was seed and grass free.

Not meaning to sound antagonistic and my apologies to the OP as this is OT to your thread but it just doesn't seem worth creating another thread just to satisfy my query/thoughts, but what makes it ok for the Bergamasco Shepherd Dog to have a matted (corded) coat and yet for people to cry "foul" when other breeds end up having matted coats?

Many of the mats I see in coats end up pulling on the skin as the mat gets more and more dense. How would one stop that from happening to a dog such as the Bergamasco whose corded coat is accepted as part of its standard?

I am honestly puzzled and maybe it has a lot to do with the mountain load of coat maintenance of these dogs that perhaps I am not aware of and that goes well beyond my imagining :eek:.

A corded coat is carefully maintained to keep cords separated and not to pull on the skin. There is no detriment to the dog in terms of comfort and movement. When coat change happens, the beginnings of "mats' are carefully separated into cords and then each cord is carefully and regularly separated down to the skin to maintan it. It's not just a great lump of hair that clumped together however it formed.

Not low maintenance, that's for sure.

There are several herding/stock breeds that are corded - notably Pulik, Komandors and the Bergamasco. Its a practical solution to the issue of a non-shedding coat in an outdoor working breed.

Pic of Komandor:

Komondor.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

A corded coat is carefully maintained to keep cords separated and not to pull on the skin. There is no detriment to the dog in terms of comfort and movement. When coat change happens, the beginnings of "mats' are carefully separated into cords and then each cord is carefully and regularly separated down to the skin to maintan it. It's not just a great lump of hair that clumped together however it formed.

Again, thank you PF. Ewwwwwww, one would certainly need to be dedicated and know they would have the additional time necessary for this sort of care :eek: !!

Again, thank you PF. Ewwwwwww, one would certainly need to be dedicated and know they would have the additional time necessary for this sort of care :eek: !!

A lot of these dogs are clipped if they are pets. Its a hell of a lot of work to maintain a decent corded coat. Takes hours to dry one, that's for sure. Not a coat for a high temperature environment full of grass seeds!!

White Puli cos I can:

Puli2.jpg

Erny- this page should answer all your questions :) - http://bergamascousa.com/the-coat/

After having dreadlocks myself for many years Im well aware of the work it takes to seperate the matts while are forming, once they are formed it is very low maintainence to care for.

Poodlefan- Yes I do intend on showing my pup :( There is only one dog out of the first litter being shown in NSW, the only one ever shown in Australia, and he has done well.

That Poodle is stunning :eek:

Peiluvr- The breeder imported her first Bergamasco about 7 years now!

I havent even thought of names yet :p I dont want to get my hopes up just yet incase there are no pups, the Bitch has recently been in season and missed this time ;)