Bergamasco Shepherd Dogs!

Miss Squish

Then you should get yourself one of these:

Polish Lowland Sheepdog!

Very lovely - but thank you no. I love being able to run a damp flannel over my dog and 'hey presto' he's groomed and washed almost in the one go :eek: . But it would be nice if my sister would get one of those and I could just enjoy the fun without the care responsibility :p. Beautiful looking dog.

Edited by Erny

Oh wow! I love these guys :eek: Shaggy dogs rock. If you get your puppy I want lots and lots of photos.

I suppose you could cord a wheaten too, but they probably used to get sheared off each spring along with the sheep. I doubt the early Irish farmers spent hours trying to brush their unruly wheaties :p

Poodlefan- Yes I do intend on showing my pup :( There is only one dog out of the first litter being shown in NSW, the only one ever shown in Australia, and he has done well.

Saw him at Wagga in June. :(

oh I met him at Wagga too, but I didn't pay as much attention as I should have because I fell in love with his Dane puppy brother :laugh:

He was awesome looking!

How hot is a dog in the Australian summer with a full coat like this?

I read that this and that breed are insulated but having got a Keeshond cross here (rare I know but microchipped when dumped in the pound so no question on breed type) who gets extremely hot in the warm weather, never mind the height of summer, I found it was the kindest thing for her comfort to get her clipped. She was very badly matted when I got her, hadn't seen a brush in years.

How hot is a dog in the Australian summer with a full coat like this?

I read that this and that breed are insulated but having got a Keeshond cross here (rare I know but microchipped when dumped in the pound so no question on breed type) who gets extremely hot in the warm weather, never mind the height of summer, I found it was the kindest thing for her comfort to get her clipped. She was very badly matted when I got her, hadn't seen a brush in years.

As it does get extremely hot here in Adelaide, the dog will be kept indoors during the heat of the day and walked early morning and late afternoon.

If its too hot to show we just wont go as there will always be another show.

The pups in my photos are about 18 months now and are a long way off having full flocks, so should cope just as well as any other coated dog :)

Stunning looking dogs. :)

Given the comments on the great deal of effort that is required to establish and maintain a corded coat, I guess its reasonable to assume that when living a 'traditional' working lifestyle these poor animals dont have their coats managed as well as is necessary to avoid discomfort. Practical for human requirements, doesnt necessarily equate with practical from the dogs point of veiw.

Lucky ones to have been born into homes with lots of time for coat management, or a set of clippers.