Puppy Won't Finish His Food

giraffez

I'm transitioning my puppy from 3 meals a day to 2 meals but i'm finding that he is not eating up all the food. I'm feeding a bit less than the amount recommended on the kibble package and the fact he is not eating it all up makes me worried he is not getting enough.

Should I go back to 3 times a day

or

Should i take the left over away and not give him anything until the next meal

He leaves about 1/6 of a cup untouched

I have always found the recommended amounts on the packaging are far too much and would result in a fat dog ...

As long as he is a good weight and in good health ... give him 10 or 15 minutes and then remove the leftovers and feed him the normal amount at the next meal.

I always find my boys eat less in hot weather and more in the colder months ...

He's a dog. Food + room in my stomach = eat!

The fact that he's eating more later and maintaining a good weight etc suggests that the amount of food you are feeding is about right, so yes perhaps you still do need to feed less more often.

He's only a smallish pup - with (I expect) a pretty high energy level, I'd go with more frequent meals, or perhaps two larger meals and a snack.

On the packet is too much for my 2. I remember feeding Charlie kibble for the first time and i looked at his bowl and look down at him... the food pile was bigger than he head and I remember thinking 'he eats all this, he isn't going to be able to move!'.

Charlie has never been a big eater, i use to think that he was a picky eater, but realise he isn't. He only eats when he needs too. He sometimes goes days without eating. I started feeding him once a day when he was 6 months, because he never ate breakfast.

He is still the same now. He normally just eats 1 (sometimes and a half) chicken wings at night or 2 handful (my handful.. and i have little hands) of dry bikkies at night. Now summer is around, he eats a bit more because he is more active and eat for energy.

What food are you feeding? I find I only need to feed 1/2 the recommended amount of royal Canin and my dogs look great.

Artemis

They recommend one and a half cups at that age. If i cut back by half, thats just 3/4 cup. Is that enough for a growing pup?. At the moment, i give him roughly one and a quarter cup, plus the fact he does not finish all means he is getting a bit over one cup. That doesnt seem to be much food really.

Do the dog food company over state the feeding amount by that much :thumbsup: ?

Unfortunately i dont have the option of feeding three times a day due to work.

Edited by giraffez

i wish i had your problem

i have tried to reduce mollie down to 2 meals a day with no luck, she is a pig, she hoovers up her meals in 30 seconds - no joke, she devours it, i have just started her on chicken necks for lunch and she swallows the full chicken necks whole does not chew them,

when i got her desexed a few weeks ago the vet remarked on how fast she eats her dinner,

she sucks it up from the bowl not stopping to chew,

she gets 1 cup of pro plan a day & 1 chicken neck, she is starving all the time, she is not skinny and has loads of energy, so she is not really starving she just makes out she is,

i wish i had your problem

i have tried to reduce mollie down to 2 meals a day with no luck, she is a pig, she hoovers up her meals in 30 seconds - no joke, she devours it, i have just started her on chicken necks for lunch and she swallows the full chicken necks whole does not chew them,

when i got her desexed a few weeks ago the vet remarked on how fast she eats her dinner,

she sucks it up from the bowl not stopping to chew,

she gets 1 cup of pro plan a day & 1 chicken neck, she is starving all the time, she is not skinny and has loads of energy, so she is not really starving she just makes out she is,

Haha she sounds like my older dog!

I had an Irish Setter once who as a puppy was not focused enough ( putting it kindly) to eat. She'd be hungry, I'd put food in front of her, and she would start chasing butterflys. She'd come back, put her head down like she was going to eat, but halfway down discover her feet, or stare at the stars, anything but actually eat.

My vet kept reassuring me that any healthy dog who is getting food put in front of it daily is not going to willingly starve to death. I was sure she'd be the except that proved the rule, but she did survive. Some dogs just have weak appetites and slow metabolisms.

And any dog who does not finish a meal is getting too much food. Dogs are programmed to gorge and fast. If a dog is leaving food, he's way overfed.

Don't worry about the amount, and dont' look at the recommended amounts. Just look at your dogs figure and weigh your dog regularly. If the weight is good, you are feeding the right amount.

Of course the dog food companies are going to tell you to feed too much. It's in their best interest for you to use more.

I had an Irish Setter once who as a puppy was not focused enough ( putting it kindly) to eat. She'd be hungry, I'd put food in front of her, and she would start chasing butterflys. She'd come back, put her head down like she was going to eat, but halfway down discover her feet, or stare at the stars, anything but actually eat.

hahah and this sounds like my pup :love:

My boy is eating much better now that he is a week or two older. I'm feeding him a bit less and he finishes his bowl spotlessly clean... sometimes i wonder whether he is getting enough! Thanks all

When my dog was a puppy, he refused to eat kibble unless it was mixed with something exciting such as mince or canned goodies such as sardines. Now he has no issues. I wonder if the puppy is being fussy about food and adding a bit of extra something would help.