Dog Behaviourist?

Donegal

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just stumbled across this document and thought it was relevant enough to the recent discussion to resurrect the thread.

http://www.pupi.com.au/downloads/Web%20PDF%20AB.pdf

Ian Dunbar in the USA is a behaviourist he has spent hundreds and hundreds of hours studying and quantifying animal / dog behaviour, he is a vet, he has a great website, he even gives free downloads on his website. Yet still on this forum people will dismiss him.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/

and when I tell people there are no behaviourists in WA, they don't believe me because basically anyone can say they are anything.

Not all trainers suit all people, not all trainers can help you but any worth their salt will point you in the right direction towards someone they believe can help you...

I just stumbled across this document and thought it was relevant enough to the recent discussion to resurrect the thread.

http://www.pupi.com.au/downloads/Web%20PDF%20AB.pdf

That is a great link Corvus.

The author has a PhD in Predatory aggression in canines, and he has donated a lot of his time to helping with the assessment and rehabilitation of retired racing greyhounds.

A great behaviourist or trainer can't 'fix' everything, regardless of other factors

What :) Say it isn't so Cosmolo....and I was going to change my trading name to "Magic Wand Dog Training Services" :) But I'd probably be 'done' for false advertising :laugh:

I dont know if its already been said, but the highest form of dog training / behaviour training apart from seeking the advice of a fully qualified Veterinary Behaviourist is someone who has completed a DELTA training course.

http://www.deltasocietyaustralia.com.au/

The problem is it is like seeking a councillor for a human, it can take several goes before you find one that suits. Vet Behaviourists are expensive because of their training, but they are also the only ones who can prescribe medicine. Bit like going to see a councillor who recommends you see a psychologist. Doesnt always mean your loopy, just means the issue may take a bit more than a kind word to fix.

Good Vet's will also often have recommendations for you in terms of behaviour training for a difficult dog who is not responding to regular obedience or a one on one trainer.

And I think Mr Milan's methods are far from desirable. I would rather have my dog obey me because it respects me, than because it fears me.

I dont know if its already been said, but the highest form of dog training / behaviour training apart from seeking the advice of a fully qualified Veterinary Behaviourist is someone who has completed a DELTA training course.

The problem is it is like seeking a councillor for a human, it can take several goes before you find one that suits. Vet Behaviourists are expensive because of their training, but they are also the only ones who can prescribe medicine. Bit like going to see a councillor who recommends you see a psychologist. Doesnt always mean your loopy, just means the issue may take a bit more than a kind word to fix.

Good Vet's will also often have recommendations for you in terms of behaviour training for a difficult dog who is not responding to regular obedience or a one on one trainer.

And I think Mr Milan's methods are far from desirable. I would rather have my dog obey me because it respects me, than because it fears me.

Wooohooo I must be a balanced trainer as this post has annoyed me as much as 55chevy's posts do!

Is it really? Are Delta trainers more highly accredited than NDTF trainers? I didn't know that.

Dog Behaviourists, who needs them. :)

If you own a GSD or Rottie and are having problems then there are only two places to take them, the GSDL and the Rottweiler Club of NSW. :o

The people in both clubs have many years experience training and owning with these wonderful breeds and will help you no matter what the problem, and most advice is free so who needs a Behaviourist that most likely has never owned a GSD or Rottie.

Just a note about e corrections. I seem to conduct static electricity all the time and I can't touch the car door and supermarket shelves without getting zapped!!! I HATE it and it pisses me off!!! :) I would work very hard to give the dog alternative choices :)

Why the hell has this turned into a slag-off-the-positive-trainer session????? :)

Once more I would like to use an e-collar and not on a dog.

:)

No, it's not a slag off on positive training techniques, it's a slag off if you like upon trainers who use positive methods to the detriment of the dog for the pride of saying "I don't use aversion ever" as some do. Their training career is purely method based being their eternal lynchpin, the be all and end all of greatness supreme having never have corrected a dog, used a choker, prong or Ecollar. They are more interested in never having used a correction or a tool of aversion than how many dogs they have successfully trained. The one's they can't train if they are not already at the bridge, will be someone elses fault, or the dog was so screwed up in the head, PTS was the best option.

If the idea is to train dogs and be good at training dogs, you do what it takes to train the dog and use what ever methods are available to get the job successfully done, that IMHO is what good trainer is all about :D

I respect that people have had bad experiences with behaviourists. But it is unfair to tar them all with the same brush. I suppose i should let all my clients know they didn't need us.. :)

That's why I think an accreditation system is a good idea. To give people some idea what they are getting when they hire a behaviourist.