About Schnauzers

LizT

One of my sisters says she is thinking about getting a Schnauzer and has spent a few hours talking to a breeder when she visited the Royal Melbourne Show last September.

She has been bouncing back and forth about which breed to get for many years and has gone from CKCS (moults too much) to Poodle to Westie to various others.

She now says they are seriously thinking about getting a Schnauzer and that this is the breed for her. Possibly (my thoughts).

She has been told that they do not shed.

They have no (doggie) smell.

The coat is harsh when stripped as per a Show dog but soft when clipped.

That the male is a better option than a female (personality wise)

I know that Schnauzer are a great little dog and make a fantastic family pet, are these facts true about them?

What else can you tell me about them?

She says she is getting the Medium size not the 'toy' (?) or Giant. I thought there was only Miniature or Giant??

Edited by LizT

Pop!!

She has been told that they do not shed. if clipped, they don't shed, h/s dogs can loose a little hair, especially when the coat is starting to 'blow'

They have no (doggie) smell. they don't BUT the beard can get a bit ripe, depending on where it has recently been, some dogs have a smell like an old dish cloth in the beard.

The coat is harsh when stripped as per a Show dog but soft when clipped. The coat will be a different colour when clipped ie p/s will just be plain grey, the blacks can also fade to grey

That the male is a better option than a female (personality wise) Really depends on what you want from a dog, I personally prefer the bitches - but there is no real difference. However, as she is interested in the standard size, these are the most dominant and pushy to challenge the owner all the time and will sieze the chance to take over. Standards are not really a breed for a first time owner, unless they are prepared for a lot of work and a steep learning curve. They require plenty of exercise and mental stimulations. Minis are generally considered the easiest size to live with, most aren't barkers. Giants fall somewhere between these 2, although some can be more dominant then others.

I know that Schnauzer are a great little dog and make a fantastic family pet, are these facts true about them? Yes, the make fabulous pets - in the right home!! Schnauzers aren't little dogs though

What else can you tell me about them? What else do you need to know? Giants and minis should be eye tested (pups and parents) Giants and standards are starting to be hipscored more these days.

She says she is getting the Medium size not the 'toy' (?) or Giant. I thought there was only Miniature or Giant?? Miniature (about 13 - 14") , Schnauzer (about 18 or 19")and Giant (23.5 - 27.5")

Minis come in solid black, solid white, black & silver or pepper & salt

Schnauzers p/s or solid black

Giants solid black or p/s

Pop!!

She has been told that they do not shed. if clipped, they don't shed, h/s dogs can loose a little hair, especially when the coat is starting to 'blow'

They have no (doggie) smell. they don't BUT the beard can get a bit ripe, depending on where it has recently been, some dogs have a smell like an old dish cloth in the beard.

The coat is harsh when stripped as per a Show dog but soft when clipped. The coat will be a different colour when clipped ie p/s will just be plain grey, the blacks can also fade to grey

That the male is a better option than a female (personality wise) Really depends on what you want from a dog, I personally prefer the bitches - but there is no real difference. However, as she is interested in the standard size, these are the most dominant and pushy to challenge the owner all the time and will sieze the chance to take over. Standards are not really a breed for a first time owner, unless they are prepared for a lot of work and a steep learning curve. They require plenty of exercise and mental stimulations. Minis are generally considered the easiest size to live with, most aren't barkers. Giants fall somewhere between these 2, although some can be more dominant then others.

I know that Schnauzer are a great little dog and make a fantastic family pet, are these facts true about them? Yes, the make fabulous pets - in the right home!! Schnauzers aren't little dogs though

What else can you tell me about them? What else do you need to know? Giants and minis should be eye tested (pups and parents) Giants and standards are starting to be hipscored more these days.

She says she is getting the Medium size not the 'toy' (?) or Giant. I thought there was only Miniature or Giant?? Miniature (about 13 - 14") , Schnauzer (about 18 or 19")and Giant (23.5 - 27.5")

Thanks for "Popping in" Becks! :love:

Pop!!

All of the above although we in the MINI"S only find the males more loving.

If she is wanting a Std though then that is whole different kettle of fish.

Std's are working dogs & of great intelligence,to own a Std is like owning a GSD,Rotti,Dobe & the likes they are powerful dogs,very stubborn & certainly dominant & in the wrong home a bad combination,they need lots of mental stimulation or they are a nightmare to live with,they are very agile & if board will jump fences with ease.They are wonderful gurad dogs & will protect there family till the end,they can be bad barker's though.

They cost more to groom as there a bigger dog .

The Std.s come in Black & Salt/Pepper.

As yet we don't have White mini's in Australia but that is sure to change.

If she was researching the cavie & westie then she doesn't want a Std

Yes, I think it must be the Miniature she's interested in.

She hasn't owned a dog as an adult and I did all the training etc. being the 'big sis' so I definitely think the Standard is a big NO NO.

I find the male minis generally more moody. eg. I was out at a couple of shows last weekend, got a fabulous welcome home from the girls but the mature male just put himself in his crate each time I looked at him! It is also the girls who come over for cuddles and pile around me on the sofa

I find the male minis generally more moody. eg. I was out at a couple of shows last weekend, got a fabulous welcome home from the girls but the mature male just put himself in his crate each time I looked at him! It is also the girls who come over for cuddles and pile around me on the sofa

Here its the boys & we find the Blacks to be more touchy/feely than the S/P although all still happy to great us.

But our boys have always been more loving than our girls

I was also reading a bit about the breed on line and I've read that Schnauzers are terrier type ratters that were bred to work with people and don't enjoy being left alone and some can take issue with this?

I was also reading a bit about the breed on line and I've read that Schnauzers are terrier type ratters that were bred to work with people and don't enjoy being left alone and some can take issue with this?

They where originally breed as ratters although most now wouldn't have the instincts to rat.

They are a companion breed that thrives on human companionship BUT the greater majority of our owners work & don.t have issues,our original dogs where also home alone during working hrs & never had an issue,we now work from home.

They aren't a breed that you simply pat on the head & remember about in the next few days,they are very much a touchy breed that love to sit on you & interact & if people don't want a "touchy" breed then i wouldn't recommend a mini.

They certainly can about to being alone for work hrs but if people aren't home or don't want to spend much time with a dog than there they could become an issue due to thriving on pleasing there owners & being part of a family .also we have found those people who have not included the mini as part of there via our grooming clients are often the worse for brushing because they don't spend the time the breed needs.

They are very smart,learn very quickly & adapt well to most situations BUT they do need brushing weekly & this needs to be trained into the dog ,they aren't destructive normally & generally not barkers but as i said they thrive on companionship which is what they major role is now.

The main issue (which applies to any breed) is there cute when they come home & people let them get away with things that aren't suitable habits at 12 months,mini's being smart will learn to take every inch from gullable owners who allow it

Mine get left one day a week, now I'm at college and they cope OK with that (although they do have companionship of each other not a single dog left on it's own), my male though is still one to sulk with me for the next day. I leave them with a variety of treat ball type toys to give them something to do, leave the radio on for them

Nothing like the cavs I know!

The 'touchy feely' part. :laugh:

Also other traits "Showdog" mentioned like being smart, quick learners, grooming once a week (okay mine get daily but a pet could get away with it :) )

And especially the dendency for people to let "cutsies' get away with stuff. See it all the time. :p

Edited by LizT