Turkey Leg Bones

I bought some turkey legs the other day and boned them out for meat for the dogs, but what to do with the bones.

Would you feed them to the dogs (raw of coarse) or do you think they are too hard and would splinter and cause problems.

my guys normally get chicken carcases or lamb flaps and the occassion beef ribs.

I don't, only cause I'm not a fan of feeding weight bearing bones. I think turkey legs are pretty big and have the potential to break into larger shards and cause some damage. I happily feed wings and necks though.

thanks these were my thoughts too, which is why I thought I would get other opinions, and make sure I was being precious IYKWIM

yup my lot eat them no worries. I dont know why you would bother cutting off the skin and fat turkey barely has any in the first place and dogs need those parts you throw out.

If my lot cant digest a bone they leave it now. They get whole chickens and rabbits so a turkey leg isnt a big deal for their stomachs

I feed turkey wings, necks & SMALL drumsticks to my border collie. She chews them up well & there is never anything left. I don't think they would be any harder than lamb ribs or especially beef ribs. I have gone off the beef ribs as the half eaten ones I pick up are all splintered & don't look good. I think from a dogs perspective, turkey would have more taste than chicken. Bindi loves them.

I fed one last night. My guy is great with bones but I noticed it had splintered and I took it off him. ( hopefully the part he ate he crunched well) I probably won't feed it again only because I'd never forgive myself knowing that they splinter and I still fed it :(

I feed turkey drumsticks and wings to my youngest boy (14mths) regularly as part of the raw component of his diet and he loves them and has never ever left any of the bone as he is such a guts he demolishes every single bit of the bone of any of his RMB :thumbsup: which in addition to the turkey drumsticks and wings are chicken frames, chicken wings, beef brisket, lamb neck bones and kangaroo tails. I don't feed them to my oldest boy (14.5yrs) but have fed some smaller ones to my middle boy (12.5yrs) and he also eats every scrap of them. All my boys eat every bit of bone they are given as I don't give them any of the very large marrow type bones so there is never any bone shards and bits of bone to pick up :D

This is the beauty of having Labradors as they will eat anything and everything and lick the bowls and ground clean :D

Edited by labsrule

I bought some turkey legs ... and boned them out ... but what to do with the bones.

Would you feed them to the dogs (raw of coarse)?

I would never feed my dogs a bone with the meat removed - it's the meat and skin that cushions the bone as it's eaten and swallowed.

Turkey legs (with the meat still attached) are fine to feed though.