Karen Pryor Academy In Australia

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to do this but I guess I don't make the sort of money some people think us "behaviourists" make (in this big money making business, as it has been referred to) to be able to easily afford the Course.

Tuition and Payment

You may pay your tuition in full at the time of your enrollment or spread your tuition over the first four months of the program.

* Standard tuition is $5300.

o Payment should be made by credit card or check and is due with enrollment.

* Extended Tuition is $5600: Four (4) monthly installments of $1400.

o These amounts are charged to your credit card, PayPal account, or paid via electronic bank transfer. The first charge is processed as of the day of your enrollment. The subsequent three charges are processed on the same date of the months following the date of your enrollment. For example, if you enroll on January 10, you will be charged on the 10th of January, February, March, and April. Extended tuition is offered to make the course more financially accessible—a trial payment is NOT offered.

* Once tuition payment is processed, you will be sent your username and password to begin the course.

* Scholarship funds are periodically available for students. Visit our scholarship page to learn more.

Wish I could though.

The course runs from January to a date in July.

Edited by Erny

I also note that part of the graduation criteria is that you have to "sign a written commitment to teach and train with the principals taught in the course". I'm not comfortable with having to tie myself to someone else's principals, but it would help of course to know what those principals are.

Edited by Erny

I also note that part of the graduation criteria is that you have to "sign a written commitment to teach and train with the principals taught in the course". I'm not comfortable with having to tie myself to someone else's principals, but it would help of course to know what those principals are.

I'm guessing it is probably something that relates to this... (from website - my bolding)

http://www.karenpryoracademy.com/academics

"What We Teach

We teach our students to be skilled trainers and effective teachers using force-free methods. This is not just because we're nice (though we are), but because we understand the history and use of punishment in training, and we believe that Karen Pryor Academy's approach is more powerful in every meaningful dimension."

Perhaps I'm by myself in thinking this way, but I figure that if a training principal or principals are the best and work the best for the animals we are training with, then why do the organisations who run the courses feel they need to bind you in writing to being allowed to only use the principals they teach and no other? Why would we want to use any other training principals if theirs does the best with all things taken into account? Results should be able to speak for themselves, IMO.

I would still love to do such a course and I'm sure I would take some things away from having done it, but I'm afraid that type of attitude feels cultish to me.

You going to do it, Corvus?

Edited by Erny

I imagine they do that because they have a standard to uphold. Karen Pryor DOES have her name at stake. You get a trainer that's been through KPA, you don't expect them to whip out the e-collar. You expect them to be able to do the job with a marker and rewards, and do it well. Karen Pryor is a smart businesswoman and seems to appreciate the power of a good name. She keeps her good name by only attaching it to things of a high standard that align with what she's all about (let's ignore my Karen Pryor extendable target stick that lasted about 2 weeks, though). If I were looking for a trainer and chose one on the basis of the fact they had been trained through KPA, my trust in Karen Pryor's name would be shattered if the trainer used force or punishments. Who cares if they are needed? I made a choice based on what I expect, and what I expect has been moulded by every product attached to Karen Pryor's name I have ever used. It's her own marketing that has created that expectation. She'd be mad not to protect it.

Incidentally, OMG, Terry Ryan!! I think it's fair to pay a premium for tuition from world-renown trainers. :laugh:

I'd consider it if it I wanted to be a trainer. AFAIK you just can't get that kind of tuition here in Australia through anyone else.

ETA I'm in the middle of a PhD. I'm not doing it! I also think it's very pricey. If I wanted to be a trainer, though, I would really think about it hard. The alternative if you want the advanced positive methods is to go overseas. That would be more expensive, I'm guessing. Or do it by correspondence, but I think it's not the same as having someone there to help you with the practical stuff.

Or you could just take advantage of Australia's sorry lack of accreditation and not do any courses. :)

Edited by corvus

Brenda Aloff is currently putting together an on-line course....I think I might wait for that one :)

You will of course ensure that I am second in line to you in signing up for that one, Kelpie-i, won't you Kelpie-i ? :laugh:

That is pricey!! Last time I looked at the KP course (I'm going from memory here, it was a little while back) you had to have a mentor that you had to work with and the only approved mentor in Australia was in SA (?) at that time. I don't think it's a franchise. This quote from the website: "Alumni support: Graduates of the program become Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partners, joining a network of expert trainers with a common local and national marketing infrastructure and ongoing opportunities for learning". It would be pretty good though I'm sure! But maybe not at the moment for me.

Corvus- while i certainly acknowledge that we don't have lots of options here, do you not consider Delta and NDTF to be accredited?

Is the Karen Pryor Academy National Recognised Training?

Its a shame as i would love to do something like that- but i couldn't sign off to only use XYZ techniques. I do understand what Corvus says though with regards to protecting the reputation etc, just think its a shame that it is a graduation requirement. I suppose you could do it, not graduate and then do what you like but i am guessing you couldn't say you had even done the training..?

Karen Pryor is a smart businesswoman

ding ding ding. particularly when they offer "Our curriculum weaves best business practices together with best training"

Dog training and behaviour should be about the sharing of knowledge and the expansion of our skills. Not through controlling people into what they can and can't do - to say that your method is overall superior and the only one worth bothering with to me is a bit of a red flag. Saying that they dont say it involves behaviour, it's purely a trainer program.

That then makes it a franchise - you're paying for her name attached to your name. And too much I might add. Delta is going to have a pink fit that someone else is coming to nudge in on their niche market :thanks:

Brenda Aloff is currently putting together an on-line course....I think I might wait for that one :)

Does she have an e-newsletter or blog where that might be advertised?

No Staff, I don't think she has and I am not sure how far off it actually is at the moment....but take it from me that she is :thanks: