Tell Me Where You Buy Your Gear. Time For A New Toy :)

becandcharch

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should "rent" both for a weekend and give them both a good workout at the same places and under the same conditions?

That would be sensible BUT then thats a couple hundred bucks (at least I think) that can go towards it!

B&H have the Sigma with IS including postage for $1440!!!

On B&H -

I can get the Sigma for $1430 or the Canon for $1990

Both with IS, inc postage and in $AUD

I just want to know what Im getting for that $560 besides a white lens

You'd get charged duty (and postage of course) on top of that though, how much extra is that?

On B&H -

You'd get charged duty (and postage of course) on top of that though, how much extra is that?

That includes postage Kirislin. I went right to the end to check out, selected postage options and these were my final totals.

edited to add - the Sigma price is only until the 12th Dec so I better decide soon!!!!

Edited by becandcharch

On B&H -

Please show me the page you're seeing these prices on. I had a look and I found the original 70-200 with IS for $1899US and I'd assume there's postage to Aus on top of that. I must be looking in the wrong place.

Surely that is a mistake! I think they mean without IS, if not and it's new I'd pounce on it if I was in the market for one.

I wonder if they'd be obliged to sell the one with IS at that price since they've advertised it. They'd probably say it's out of stock, and when the new ones come in there's been a price rise.

Edited by Kirislin

1) check reseller ratings

2) it could be version I not II

bec - I'd probably just go the sigma and save the money towards another bit of glass - or a nice night out or clothes or something :eek: The Sigma suffers only from the stigma of not being a white lens :eek:

The Sigma suffers only from the stigma of not being a white lens :eek:

:eek: to be honest it was the NOT white lens that pushed me to the Sigma, as after seeing Luke W with his big white bazooka I just couldn't bear the thought of me prancing around with "one of those"..

And I'd definitely spring for the IS version of the 70-200 if you can afford it

Why kja? What does it do so much better? Image quality in general, or just that it really helps with camera shake on a heavy lens??

The image quality of all the Canon 70-200 range - both the f4 and f2.8 - is awesome.

But that IS sure does come in handy when you need it. For me, buying this particular lens without would just be frustrating in the long run and I'd end up changing to IS anyway. I'd rather save and buy the right one the first time than poke around with one that was going to drive me nuts when I most needed it to do its thing.

But that IS sure does come in handy when you need it.

Sorry to keep asking, just trying to understand :eek: So when is it that you need it? I've been told it doesn't help with action shots as such (my main interest). Perhaps in low light it really comes through??

IS helps you hand hold your lens. So when you need to use a slower shutter speed to let in more light you're good to go with IS. Without IS, rule of thumb, hand holding this lens at less than 1/200 is going to be a bear. For me, that speed is actually closer to 1/320 without IS and that's just not feasible in many situations.

With IS on, I can handhold this lens down to about 1/100 at the 200mm end.

If you can always use a fast shutter, then IS is of limited use to you - although it will still help with nailing focus :eek:.

Edited by kja

post-21517-1291855742_thumb.jpg

I got a canon 70-200 is ii usm 2.8 yesterday. Best deals were dwi or b and h in America. Husband bought it for a surprise Xmas present and it came in 5 days from dwi hong kong. It's suuuuuuper. But bloody heavy I need a tripod now!

ooooohhh jealous!!!! post pics immediately please!

When you say dwi Hong Kong is that the normal website or a different one?

It the normal website but it came from Hongers. Husb ordered friday at 5pm and it arrived tuesday.

Any suggestions on whats a good tripod light but not a squillion bucks?

post-21517-1291855775_thumb.jpg

post-21517-1291855788_thumb.jpg

post-21517-1291855803_thumb.jpg