24mm Or 35mm

huga

I need a wide angle lens for group shots etc. I know Annie has the 35mm - does anyone have the 24mm? What do you think would be a better choice?

I have the 30mm Huga - I think any wider and you may have too much distortion.

I also have the Sigma 17-70, and below 35mm is a bit, well "wide" :thumbsup:

I need a wide angle lens for group shots etc. I know Annie has the 35mm - does anyone have the 24mm? What do you think would be a better choice?

I have the 30mm Huga - I think any wider and you may have too much distortion.

I also have the Sigma 17-70, and below 35mm is a bit, well "wide" :thumbsup:

Whoops, ok - so how do you find the 30mm? Is it sharp enough for you? Nikon don't have a 30mm, but they do have the 28mm. I've been doing some reading on Flickr, and am now leaning towards the 35mm.

I used a 14-24mm at a wedding recently and the 14mm end was sooooo wide.

Whoops, ok - so how do you find the 30mm? Is it sharp enough for you? Nikon don't have a 30mm, but they do have the 28mm. I've been doing some reading on Flickr, and am now leaning towards the 35mm.

I used a 14-24mm at a wedding recently and the 14mm end was sooooo wide.

I love the 30mm - it is very sharp, and even at 1.4 I can easily get the distance right for the pointy noses. That length for me, is perfect to get above a standing greyhound and actually get it in the frame without a ladder. The 50mm is a no go for that as the dogs are too tall.

I use photobucket, so all of the pics I post on here look crappy, so no good putting anything up for you to look at.

I adore my 24mm 1.4 L II - it's a fantastic bit of glass.

Honestly, my group shots are almost all done with my 17-55 - it's just perfect for getting the job done.

Adore my 30mm 1.4 Sigma, too.

As to what is a better choice really comes down to where you shoot and how you like to shoot. If you are going to have the room, go with a longer lens as you can always back up and you don't need to worry about people on the edges of your frame.

If you know you're going to be shooting a lot of big groups in tight spaces then go wider and pay lots of attention to the edges.

For Nik, I'd say probably the 35mm - though if I could, I'd stick with the 50 and back up a couple of steps.

Thanks :thumbsup: We were at a funeral yesterday and afterwards, my rellies asked if I would take a group shot. Fine, but I only had the 50mm on and we were in a room where it just wasn't possible to get far enough back. So I thought something wider might come in handy, especially for weddings and just general shots of my kids indoors.

I will. I just got to have a teeny play at New Farm park. These are with the 105mm:

5265279010_9101ca6d81_z.jpg

5264671721_cc21614d25_z.jpg

And I only got this one on the 24mm (please ignore, well, everthing about this one :)):

5265279184_1cb4a91d64_z.jpg

All were taken at f2.8

Can't wait to play more!