Seems Its Not Just Mandatory Desexing

Steve

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/ed/db_40359/default.asp

Key issues for breeders.

The consultation period runs from 8 December 2010 - 22 February 2011

Some of the implications of the proposed bill (which applies to all people breeding - there is no excemption for Dogs ACT members) are:

• All dogs that are sold at over 6 months of age must be desexed (74A)
  • All breeders must be licenced (this is in addition to any Dogs ACT membership, prefixes etc) (Division 3.2). Obtaining a breeders licence involves a premisis inspection, and these criteria (amonst others)must be met:
    • (a) that the applicant will only breed an appropriate number of dogs or cats;
    • (b) that the applicant will only breed from dogs or cats that are healthy and genetically sound;

(it isnt explain how these will be determined)

• All dogs less than 6 months old must be sold with a redeemable desexing voucher
    (we already have compulsory desexing for pets - so why not just police this!! The new rule appears to apply to all dogs even if they are being sold on Main register)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm okay call me stupid but,

Is this law saying that any dog over 6mths of age that is sold must be desexed INCLUDING breeding/showing dogs on the main register?????

That is beyond stupid. Many people purchase older dogs for breeding/showing which of course cannot be done if they are desexed.

And what is an appropriate number of dogs /cats

Edited by OSoSwift

Congratulations to the Greens and the people of ACT. It seems that ACT may be the first state to bring and end to pet ownership!!! Should take no more than 16 years for the last desexed dogs to die!! ACT will then have no more dogs!!!

I am so proud of the people of ACT!! I know how hard it is to make this decsion to end pet ownership, but it has to be done. You must cry to know that with in 16 years you will never have a dog again. But it has to be done, pets are not green and it is human exploitation at it's extreem. We must free the dogs from slavery and their cruel human dependent exsistence.

Way to go Gereens, bring it on accross the country!

Make Austrtalia the first country to end all animal slavery!

End pet slavery, end pet ownership now!

Be Green, Vote Green, Go Veg!

Want a pet, get a stuffed toy!

Edited by shortstep

Please keep political parties out of your posts. Be angry, speak out, but keep party preference to yourself.

:confused: makes note to self ...... tell political parties to please keep dogs out of their posts ......

.................... and speak out against censorship of any kind

Took me a while to find it, (Page 29) but there does seem to be some concept of exemption from desexing for breeding and show dogs. Nothing about exemption for informed owner choice.

21 Approval or refusal of Applications Section 76 (2)

(2) The registrar must issue a permit for a dog or cat if satisfied that—

(a) the applicant has a breeders licence to breed from the dog or

cat; or

(b) the applicant keeps or uses the dog or cat for show; or

© it would be detrimental to the health of the dog or cat if it were

de-sexed; or

(d) for a dog—the dog is a racing greyhound.

They also specify in 74B

(3) In this section:

redeemable de-sexing voucher means a voucher provided by a

veterinary surgeon that allows for the de-sexing of a dog free of

charge when the dog is old enough to be safely de-sexed.

And that age would be ?. . .

Parts of it make sense are good ideas, but a heck of a lot of detail needs to be clarified in the consultation period or it could be the start of the end of pet dogs.

Parts of it make sense are good ideas, but a heck of a lot of detail needs to be clarified in the consultation period or it could be the start of the end of pet dogs.

Agree :confused: I do worry about enforcement though. I don't think there are exactly buckets of money being thrown at Domestic Animal Services. The current system is pretty clunky -- for example, I registered my puppy before the age she was required to be desexed, and as it's lifetime rego, that was that. No follow up or anything to check whether the dog actually was desexed later on, even though it's mandatory.

Took me a while to find it, (Page 29) but there does seem to be some concept of exemption from desexing for breeding and show dogs. Nothing about exemption for informed owner choice.

21 Approval or refusal of Applications Section 76 (2)

(2) The registrar must issue a permit for a dog or cat if satisfied that—

(a) the applicant has a breeders licence to breed from the dog or

cat; or

(b) the applicant keeps or uses the dog or cat for show; or

© it would be detrimental to the health of the dog or cat if it were

de-sexed; or

(d) for a dog—the dog is a racing greyhound.

They also specify in 74B

(3) In this section:

redeemable de-sexing voucher means a voucher provided by a

veterinary surgeon that allows for the de-sexing of a dog free of

charge when the dog is old enough to be safely de-sexed.

And that age would be ?. . .

Thank you for this informative post. I have no problem with reasonable guidelines about companion animals. But, as you say, it's working out details that will make it 'reasonable' or not. Good to see PF's post that Dogs ACT is consulting/negotiating.

On the face of it, it looks rather similar, overall, to the licensing-system adopted in the pilot project on Qld's Gold Coast. That was designed by stakeholders in a working party...state & local government, dog & cat registering bodies, & welfare groups.

I wonder if there'll be clarification about when a dog is old enough to be safely desexed? Certainly UQ research has shown that the age can be earlier than the traditional, for cats. But they make the point, that didn't just translate to dogs.

I can't see moves like this, as being the start of the end of pet dogs. There's strong support for the importance of pets in Australians' lives written in at the very beginning of the Aus Gov's position paper on animal welfare. It's acknowledged that there are extreme views, but the paper soundly rejects them in Australian society.

Edited by mita

All ACT breeders should be looking at this draft and considering making their own submissions, not just relying on the ACTCA. The number of views rec'd matters in these processes.Especially in such a small jurisdiction as ours.

All ACT breeders should be looking at this draft and considering making their own submissions, not just relying on the ACTCA. The number of views rec'd matters in these processes.Especially in such a small jurisdiction as ours.

Good on you for pointing out that individual submissions can count. Or if a group want to co-sign a common statement.

Please keep political parties out of your posts. Be angry, speak out, but keep party preference to yourself.

:thumbsup: makes note to self ...... tell political parties to please keep dogs out of their posts ......

.................... and speak out against censorship of any kind

Original post.....

'The draft bill was introduced to the Assembly yesterday by the Greens

Get it, this is a Greens sponsored bill. Mabye the Greens should leave dogs out of politics if I am not allowed to comment on their bill.

Make note to Aussienot...I will respond to post about this legilsation the Greens are introduceing.

Unless you are trying to tell me I am not Green enough when it comes to supporting ending dog slavery and dog ownership.

Be Green, Go Veg, Vote Green!

End dog slavery in ACT today!!

Edited by shortstep

So breeders need to pay for the animal to be desexed? Guess puppy and kitten prices in ACT will go up to cover this cost?

How will they monitor if someone buys a puppy from outside of the ACT and brings in in undesexed?

It's O/T, but as you've already been told, in another thread... yours is an extreme 'definition' of Green.

And you've added a pseudo-motto. 'End dog slavery...'

The Greens have entered a draft bill in the ACT. As with any draft proposal, it's open for negotiation & lobbying. And redrafting. A good thing.

On face value, the basic structure doesn't appear very different from the jointly designed system in the Gold Coast area.

Except there's a clearer statement about desexing. As others have said, details need to be teased out. So proactive submissions will count.

Edited by mita

For those thinking of making an individual or group submission, this information might be of use. It relates to UQ studies on earlier desexing of cats (note they say the same does not apply to dogs):

'It is safest to desex kittens at 12 to 24 weeks of age. Statistics show that after 6 months of age, substantial proportion of female cats are already pregnant, making the surgery more complex, risky and ulitmately too late to prevent any unwanted litters. Put quite simply, early desexing of cats is better. If more cats were desexed between 12 to 24 weeks, rather than at the traditional 6 to 9 months, there would be fewer unwanted litters & fewer kittens euthanised.'

CCAH at UQ 2008

It's O/T, but as you've already been told, in another thread... yours is an extreme 'definition' of Green.

And you've added a pseudo-motto. 'End dog slavery...'

The Greens have entered a draft bill in the ACT. As with any draft proposal, it's open for negotiation & lobbying. And redrafting. A good thing.

On face value, the basic structure doesn't appear very different from the jointly designed system in the Gold Coast area.

Except there's a clearer statement about desexing. As others have said, details need to be teased out. So proactive submissions will count.

Mita your goal of getting all of Oz under the laws you got in place in your shire is a wonderful goal. Very strict mandatory spay neuter with all breeders under direct permit and inspection by councils, planning depoartments and the RSPCA is a good start to ending dog slavery! Now add ownership licensing and we got em all under our thumbs!

Not many nasty slave dog breeders and nasty slave dog owners will keep breeding and owning dogs under these ever increasingly intrusive laws and when they find out the can go to jail or be fined..well that will toast them!

You are so cleaver, we need more like you to fight for the cause!

You have my full support and backing on this worth goal!!

Be Green, Go Veg, Vote Green.

End Dog Slavery and Dog Ownership today!