Gazebo Ettiquette

Enigma01au

I have been guilty of putting my gazebo up in a "reserved" position at SACA, dutifully I took it down and went to the second row behind some lovely Wolfhound people. to be honest as a newcomer to shows gazebo placement is frought with terror and unknown pitfalls.

So it's the hound ring where this self-important carrying on is happening? Great, nice work on welcoming the newbies folks. :thumbsup:

Note to self - give SA shows a BIG miss.

PF will let you know how many toes BBJ and I stand on at News Year Eve.

I sooo want to meet you guys.... will be hanging around ring 5 on New Years Eve

I'll be bringing wine and nibbles.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to give the impression that this behaviour is endemic to SA, its only a few exhibitors and it happens at most established canine grounds from QLD to WA.

I think for newbies, either set up with an exhibitor you already know, or perhaps don't set up in the front row at first.

Anyway, there's heaps more room if your gazebo is off the main drag, you just need to keep an eye on when you are due in the ring.

fifi

Never really experienced it in WA in 6 years of showing, someone might put a tarp or carpet down to save a spot next to them for a friend so that they can sit together but no one maintains dibs on any given spot show after show thankfully.

Lol this topic is pure gold. I'm sooooo glad to hear that pathetic exhibitors exist in the canine world. After 20 years of showing horses at ag shows and royals I thought I'd heard enough whinging drama queens........ But grass reservations???? That's just awesome. Even horse people don't try that one lol.

Oh please.... Pretty please. Let me rock up with my big arse gazebo and set it up in said grassy position. I DARE them to try that crapola on me. I think THEY would end up moving once I'd finished my rant. Bahahaha.

Have fun and if needed don't be afraid to stand your ground. Despite what these people think, they don't own s***t :-D

Can I have a bit of a "spot" rant?

A while ago I was "told" by an exhibitor that I could not put my trolley in front of their gazeebo.

It was in front of the ring I was about to take my dog into and I left a gap of a bit over a meter for them to walk their dog through behind me (I was about 2 meters away from the ring)

They were exhibiting in the ring over the far end from where they were set up and they said they needed to get their dogs out quickly so I had to move.

Ummm ok... how about you move yours dog closer to your ring, because I sure as heck aren't putting mine all the way over in la-la land when I am also about to go in.

We don't get there at the crack of dawn just to get a good spot so we don't have the luxury of walking from our gazeebo straight into the ring.

Can I have a bit of a "spot" rant?

A while ago I was "told" by an exhibitor that I could not put my trolley in front of their gazeebo.

It was in front of the ring I was about to take my dog into and I left a gap of a bit over a meter for them to walk their dog through behind me (I was about 2 meters away from the ring)

They were exhibiting in the ring over the far end from where they were set up and they said they needed to get their dogs out quickly so I had to move.

Ummm ok... how about you move yours dog closer to your ring, because I sure as heck aren't putting mine all the way over in la-la land when I am also about to go in.

We don't get there at the crack of dawn just to get a good spot so we don't have the luxury of walking from our gazeebo straight into the ring.

some exhibitors are just precious about this sort of thing.

Lol this topic is pure gold. I'm sooooo glad to hear that pathetic exhibitors exist in the canine world. After 20 years of showing horses at ag shows and royals I thought I'd heard enough whinging drama queens........ But grass reservations???? That's just awesome. Even horse people don't try that one lol.

Oh please.... Pretty please. Let me rock up with my big arse gazebo and set it up in said grassy position. I DARE them to try that crapola on me. I think THEY would end up moving once I'd finished my rant. Bahahaha.

Have fun and if needed don't be afraid to stand your ground. Despite what these people think, they don't own s***t :-D

That isn't what friends who show horses tell me & that applies to my cousin as well.

some exhibitors are just precious about this sort of thing.

I was just a bit stunned.

Me and my little trolley vs the world lol

I usually just do what I'm told, I need to learn to be more 'assertive'. I have always just been XXX's daughter who tags along at shows, I need to get in the mindset of "no, I am now an exhibitor, with my own dog, I'm allowed to be here!"

If your shows are the New Years Eve and New Years day ones at Karbeethan - it's going to be HOT during the day (6:30 pm start) - set up as soon after the rings are up as possible to avoid the heat. There is always plenty of room there (unless we get stuck with the soccar pitch only) If it's SACA park you can set up on the Friday before.

PS - If you are doing the Karbeethan shows - if you get hot and thirsty you can drop into my place for cold drink... :eek:

If your shows are the New Years Eve and New Years day ones at Karbeethan - it's going to be HOT during the day (6:30 pm start) - set up as soon after the rings are up as possible to avoid the heat. There is always plenty of room there (unless we get stuck with the soccar pitch only) If it's SACA park you can set up on the Friday before.

PS - If you are doing the Karbeethan shows - if you get hot and thirsty you can drop into my place for cold drink... :o

I am doing the Karbeethan show in late January.....and I pray that the temperature isn't anything like it's going to be today....43°C :thumbsup:

However, it is a good temperature to have a nice icey cold glass of Champers to help celebrate others wins in the ring :laugh:

Cheers and Happy New Year! :confused:

PS - If you are doing the Karbeethan shows - if you get hot and thirsty you can drop into my place for cold drink... :grouphug:

I am doing the Karbeethan show in late January.....and I pray that the temperature isn't anything like it's going to be today....43°C :D

However, it is a good temperature to have a nice icey cold glass of Champers to help celebrate others wins in the ring :(

Cheers and Happy New Year! :heart:

That show is never as hot as the NYE ones. going by yesterday it's likely that we will only have the soccar pitch again for that one too...the scratchings made it very spacious lastnight....ended up being a nice evening and finished before midnight

PS - If you are doing the Karbeethan shows - if you get hot and thirsty you can drop into my place for cold drink... :D

I am doing the Karbeethan show in late January.....and I pray that the temperature isn't anything like it's going to be today....43°C :)

However, it is a good temperature to have a nice icey cold glass of Champers to help celebrate others wins in the ring :eek:

Cheers and Happy New Year! :)

That show is never as hot as the NYE ones. going by yesterday it's likely that we will only have the soccar pitch again for that one too...the scratchings made it very spacious lastnight....ended up being a nice evening and finished before midnight

spacious - except for inside the ring....smallest set up ever. I almost ended up in the terrier ring on my out and back - i didn't see the rope and it only took 7 steps to get there from the judge.

Was a lovely evening! :)

Lyndsay - were you the aussie person who got one of the class in groups?

We had a 4 show in 3 days this week. 4 of us set up together then ended up collecting 2 more making 6.

This was fantastic for space and fellowship. In fact we made 8 on the last day.

All different breeds and groups.

Definitely recommend it if possible.

Sounds like you all had a great time, everyone having different breeds probably made it more enjoyable :)

We had a 4 show in 3 days this week. 4 of us set up together then ended up collecting 2 more making 6.

I must say, I really liked this set up.. it is one of the things I like about indoor shows is that you are call together and can have a chat... outdoor shows tend to be isolating in that everyone is in their own little personal space.

Our little tent city was great... even if I was only really there for the first day of it.

I must say, I really liked this set up.. it is one of the things I like about indoor shows is that you are call together and can have a chat... outdoor shows tend to be isolating in that everyone is in their own little personal space.

Our little tent city was great... even if I was only really there for the first day of it.

It was even better by third day LOTG. We had cheekyangels mum and Sly's breeder added in so we had quite few laughs.

Was a lovely evening! :love:

I got open in group with a friend's gorgeous blue merle boy on the NYE show. :D

I can trump you on that one Lyndsay - 2 Neuter in Group for Charlie (and one special award from the specials Judge on Saturday - "best fed dog on grounds" :love: ) and it was good to see Bonnie got a good look at for Open in group - but was beaten by YOU! :rofl:

Was a lovely evening! :o

I got open in group with a friend's gorgeous blue merle boy on the NYE show. :)

I can trump you on that one Lyndsay - 2 Neuter in Group for Charlie (and one special award from the specials Judge on Saturday - "best fed dog on grounds" :p ) and it was good to see Bonnie got a good look at for Open in group - but was beaten by YOU! :(

:) classic... I got that one weekend with my girl when she had not had enough exercise in the previous fortnight and I hadn't cut her food enough to compensate... "she's well looked after isn't she?"

Glad you went well on the Saturday.