Gazebo Ettiquette

Enigma01au

I have been guilty of putting my gazebo up in a "reserved" position at SACA, dutifully I took it down and went to the second row behind some lovely Wolfhound people. to be honest as a newcomer to shows gazebo placement is frought with terror and unknown pitfalls.

Dog showing should come with a manual of what not to do's :) as every week I seem to commit another faux pas :) , some people are however very welcoming and supportive, some not so.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been guilty of putting my gazebo up in a "reserved" position at SACA, dutifully I took it down and went to the second row behind some lovely Wolfhound people. to be honest as a newcomer to shows gazebo placement is frought with terror and unknown pitfalls.Dog showing should come with a manual of what not to do's :) as every week I seem to commit another faux pas :o , some people are however very welcoming and supportive, some not so.

Not around here it isn't. First in best dressed!

Sounds like SA has a few 'precious' exhibitors. :)

I have been guilty of putting my gazebo up in a "reserved" position at SACA, dutifully I took it down and went to the second row behind some lovely Wolfhound people. to be honest as a newcomer to shows gazebo placement is frought with terror and unknown pitfalls.

So it's the hound ring where this self-important carrying on is happening? Great, nice work on welcoming the newbies folks. :)

So it's the hound ring where this self-important carrying on is happening? Great, nice work on welcoming the newbies folks. :)

Note to self - give SA shows a BIG miss.

Hell no! I reckon the CSM should organise a road trip. :)

Well some of the CSM aren't exactly morning people, so anyone trying to get us to move before the first coffee/chi of the day could get more then they bargain for!

Seriously, how pathetic is someone who is so self-important that they think they 'own' a spot.

Edited by Diva

Perhaps I was a bit harsh - I gather this only happens at SACA grounds??

I hear Mt Gambier shows are great. :o

It's quite sad that some exhibitors here give our state a bad name.

It's quite sad that some exhibitors here give our state a bad name.

Its probably worth bearing in mind that they only get away with this sort of diva behaviour because others let them.

I've seen first hand the SACA spot owners ! wasn't there even a rumour about saca allowing some spots to be allocated & paid for annually ?

Country & Ag shows in NSW are great, first come, first served. And yes, because the rings change at country shows, there's less likelihood of 'ownership'.

It's the established canine grounds with permanent rings where proprietal behaviour is more likely.

fifi

I've seen first hand the SACA spot owners ! wasn't there even a rumour about saca allowing some spots to be allocated & paid for annually ?Country & Ag shows in NSW are great, first come, first served. And yes, because the rings change at country shows, there's less likelihood of 'ownership'.

It's the established canine grounds with permanent rings where proprietal behaviour is more likely.

fifi

How to welcome and encourage new and interstate exhibitors.. NOT!!!

Edited by poodlefan

Its probably worth bearing in mind that they only get away with this sort of diva behaviour because others let them.

TBH, I wouldn't really know because so far I've only been there as a spectator. I haven't started showing yet (though I've spent the day with exhibitors), and when I do it'll be in group 5, which I've never noticed a problem in before and jr_inoz confirmed that. I just think it's sad that the stories stop people coming to SA.

And yes, I've heard about the allocated spots. Hopefully it's not something that goes ahead.

Edited by whiskedaway

I don't want to give the impression that this behaviour is endemic to SA, its only a few exhibitors and it happens at most established canine grounds from QLD to WA.

I think for newbies, either set up with an exhibitor you already know, or perhaps don't set up in the front row at first.

Anyway, there's heaps more room if your gazebo is off the main drag, you just need to keep an eye on when you are due in the ring.

fifi

I don't want to give the impression that this behaviour is endemic to SA, its only a few exhibitors and it happens at most established canine grounds from QLD to WA.

Possibly the reason it doesn't happen in ACT (to my knowledge anyway) is that the rings are not permanently allocated to specific groups, and depending on the committee and number of judges, sometimes two groups share a single ring.

Hell no! I reckon the CSM should organise a road trip. :rofl:

Well some of the CSM aren't exactly morning people, so anyone trying to get us to move before the first coffee/chi of the day could get more then they bargain for!

Seriously, how pathetic is someone who is so self-important that they think they 'own' a spot.

Please, please, please come...(although I suspect that group 7 isn't a problem either.... suspect it may be not just hounds but the ring that "had" to be closed because of bindis, when actually every ring currently has bindis in it.)

I would love to be a fly on the wall for that!

I've seen first hand the SACA spot owners ! wasn't there even a rumour about saca allowing some spots to be allocated & paid for annually ?

Country & Ag shows in NSW are great, first come, first served. And yes, because the rings change at country shows, there's less likelihood of 'ownership'.

fifi

Not just a rumour.... to quote from the december journal.... "the letting of gazebo sites at SACA park. Yes, Council has been investigating the issue....if you do not rent a site you will still be able (to) set up your gazebo on SACA Park as per normal but not on a reserved site unless you have permission of the person who has rented it." (grammar errors were in the journal)....

Who knows when they are going to bring this in - no date on it. And apparently it will raise $10,000 pa. :eek: Personally think it is a stupid idea.

In the September journal, it was made clear, that at SACA, the only way to reserve your spot before a show was to put up your actual gazebo. Tarps, pegs, ropes were no longer allowed. Would be why some people getting "precious" about "their" spot - they currently can't reserve spots unless they put up their gazebo. They are probably the same people who are pushing for rented spots.

Edited by jr_inoz

I never set up in the front row anyway as there are too many dogs and people letting them piss all over your stuff. It is much quieter and easy going away from ringside a little. You can choose to go down the front and watch/listen or sit out the back and relax. Good to hear the rule re set back from rings has expanded in WA since I lat showed. There was always congestion and having a group 6 dog it was fraught with danger!

I think for newbies, either set up with an exhibitor you already know, or perhaps don't set up in the front row at first.

Anyway, there's heaps more room if your gazebo is off the main drag, you just need to keep an eye on when you are due in the ring.

fifi

Good advice fifi :rofl: . I also usually ask a person I'm setting up next to if it's OK with them - just as a courtesy.