Gazebo Ettiquette

Enigma01au

as one of the males in our group can get a bit noisy of other males around. so with the gazebo set up and sides on he can not see out and doesn't make a ruccus

Not clear if you're talking about a dog or a husband :rofl::eek: ;) ;)

well personally it's really for the husband they make more noise then the dogs rofl.

as for the gazebo spaces i have never been made to move but last weekend set up with the walkway and reccomended gap between gazebos only to have others set up right beside us 4 along covering the walkway so then i had to move all my crates as they made the walkway on the other side of my gazebo that i wasn't happy about as we set up so the crates were shaded.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bit sad :eek:

I am new to showing this year and am in Group 5 at SACA. First come first served over where we are, and I have found so many people very welcoming and helpful, to the point of many exhibitors giving me the biggest cheer when we got Minor in Group for the first time. Pretty supportive bunch in our part of SACA who don't frown on you for where you put your gazebo and they will welcome you into theirs too :rofl:

How incredibly sad that a few precious exhibitors have made a bad name for SA shows. I've never experienced anything mentioned when setting up near ring 2 or ring 5. Sure some people set up in the same spots each show but no one cracks the shits when someone else gets in before them, and I've set up both ring side and back along the fence lines numerous times.

I have set up in a well known exhibitor's spot near ring 1 and they weren't rude about it but asked if we could turn our gazebo so it took a little less room, and fair enough.

I agree with rotating the rings! Probably because group 5 is always the furthest from the toilets, canteen, office and shop and has little shade compared to ring 1 or along the road near 3 and 4.

And almost everyone I have spoken to in SA thinks the paid gazebo spot is rediculous! :rofl: Way to push out the new people and those on a pension who may not be able to afford a nice spot.

ETA: Not saying it doesn't happen but it hasn't happened in the rings I have set up around to me or friends.

Edited by Lyndsay

Are you in SA? As a visitor I was quite surprised and bemused to discover that by local tradition, certain patches of grass despite no signs nor visible boundaries are actually the property of someone and visitors are not welcome. Luckily we were advised of this before unpacking the gazebo and guided to some "freehold grass" up the back by some kindly locals - or I have the distinct feeling the posse would have been out at dawn for we interstate (and unknowing) " trespassers". :rofl:

enigma - what are your first couple of shows? After this weekend, we don't actually have any all breeds shows at SACA for quite awhile - none in January or February - so you'd either be out at Karabeetha Reserve, (mostly enough room if we have rings on both ovals like we normally do at New Years Eve - was a bit squishy the other week when we had to be contained on the soccer pitch cos there was cricket still happening), or at Heathfield Oval - and I suspect that will be quite squishy, for parking at least - there isn't much up there...

I am in SA, and my first show is at Gawler - Karbeethan Reserve, 22nd January. It is a night show. I will try to get in early, at the 2pm opening if possible.

I will be with the Gundogs - Labradors...

And then I am hoping to go to the Heathfield show, I'll take your advice and get in early there too! :eek:

This is a bit sad :thumbsup:

I am new to showing this year and am in Group 5 at SACA. First come first served over where we are, and I have found so many people very welcoming and helpful, to the point of many exhibitors giving me the biggest cheer when we got Minor in Group for the first time. Pretty supportive bunch in our part of SACA who don't frown on you for where you put your gazebo and they will welcome you into theirs too :laugh:

Yep - this has been my experience too over in ring 5....was especially grateful for the guys that took me in to their gazebo one really wet and windy day - too windy for me to get my gazebo up - I was getting organised to get ready in the back of my car. Everyone is very friendly around there.... why I am surprised to hear about stuff happening around other rings.

I have never had issues in SA & i am in another grp to those mentioned.

Found them all very inviting considering i was comp to them & did win

I have only done SA twice in the last 3 yrs but prior to that quite regulary & setting up in varying area.s.

In WA we don't have spot dummy spits because as already mentioned first in best dressed & those who set up front row do so because they have the facilities to shade there dogs otherwise you would be setted in the sun all day.

The main whingers are those who complain about those using the shades as they can't see but they are the people who never provide shade for there dogs & borrow others or set up so close to your shade to use the shade from the tents that they pretty much should have just set up in the tent.

I have told some people to to move when they have set up so close to my stuff & there is spaces available fo rlike 20 oz trails but they don't bring anything for there dogs.

One person even tied there dog on my shade legs :laugh: & couldn't see the issue.

I have never had issues in SA & i am in another grp to those mentioned.

Found them all very inviting considering i was comp to them & did win

I have only done SA twice in the last 3 yrs but prior to that quite regulary & setting up in varying area.s.

In WA we don't have spot dummy spits because as already mentioned first in best dressed & those who set up front row do so because they have the facilities to shade there dogs otherwise you would be setted in the sun all day.

The main whingers are those who complain about those using the shades as they can't see but they are the people who never provide shade for there dogs & borrow others or set up so close to your shade to use the shade from the tents that they pretty much should have just set up in the tent.

I have told some people to to move when they have set up so close to my stuff & there is spaces available fo rlike 20 oz trails but they don't bring anything for there dogs.

One person even tied there dog on my shade legs :thumbsup: & couldn't see the issue.

this is common and frustrating sit under the trees if you can't provide your own shade or ask politely first if the owner of the gazebo, tent umbrella etc minds you borrowing the shade.

I don't mind when people are waiting to go into the ring but do mind if i have someone set up directly behind us with out shelter when i have my kids as it then limits them to being stuck under the gazebo between crates etc. or limits me moving the crates slightly olut form my gazebo utilising the shade

There are some wonderfully helpful hound people here in South Australia :thumbsup: I have been given great guidence and encouragement by people, it is just hard to know everything about showing in one season but I am getting there :laugh: Please dont let my gazebo comments put anybody off South Aussie dog shows.

this is common and frustrating sit under the trees if you can't provide your own shade or ask politely first if the owner of the gazebo, tent umbrella etc minds you borrowing the shade.

I don't mind when people are waiting to go into the ring but do mind if i have someone set up directly behind us with out shelter when i have my kids as it then limits them to being stuck under the gazebo between crates etc. or limits me moving the crates slightly olut form my gazebo utilising the shade

Now we're on to the gazebo squatters :thumbsup:

Now we're on to the gazebo squatters :laugh:

Actually i can add a good story here.

I always set up the day before & when the gates open the day of the show take all the crap down & go home(i live 5 mins from the grounds) finish the kennels ,do the dogs up etc etc.

One show i turned up to find my stuff had been taken out of my set up & new residents had moved in. :eek: Lets just say it was a very "Not happy Jan moment especially when they had trouble finding my gear

Now we're on to the gazebo squatters :laugh:

ahhh i enjoy and love the day out some days are funnier than others but why let one moment ruin a day ;)

I always set up the day before & when the gates open the day of the show take all the crap down & go home(i live 5 mins from the grounds) finish the kennels ,do the dogs up etc etc.

One show i turned up to find my stuff had been taken out of my set up & new residents had moved in. :eek: Lets just say it was a very "Not happy Jan moment especially when they had trouble finding my gear

Ahhhhh :D that really happens oh my :( That is extremely rude. I have a 3 by 3 just brought an oztrail 6 by 3 as the group of ppl that sit under my gazebo is expanding. Have made some great friends and i don't mind but i would be rather annoyed if this was the case though.

Last week due to this happening people right behind us and we had 6 adults, 4 dogs and 4 kids lol my 3 by 3 was a little crowded. chairs ended up slighlty in anothers gazebo but we checked we weren't inconveniencing them first,

I think I would be rather peed off if someone deliberately moved my stuff and sqatted in my gazebo though and then couldn't find my belongings :o

To the op don't let some bad stories scare you off as there are definately more positives to negatives out there. ;)

Now we're on to the gazebo squatters :eek:

One show i turned up to find my stuff had been taken out of my set up & new residents had moved in. :D Lets just say it was a very "Not happy Jan moment especially when they had trouble finding my gear

You are kidding?? :( People actually moved your stuff out of your gazebo and set their stuff up in it?? :o ;)

What did they think was going to happen?

Can you report that kind of behaviour? I've just realised I've used the wrong emotcon - should have used this one... :laugh: biggest draw drop I would have heard of at a show (I know, a relative newbie, who hangs around a very friendly group 5 - never seen anything like that around our area)

Group 6 in SA is very friendly, no-one has dibs on a spot. There are people who sit in the same spot every time at DSA Park, but they set up either the day before or at the crack of dawn, neither of which I am interested in doing so good luck to them!

I think the banning of tarps, ropes, poles to reserve spots is great, nothing worse than having a huge area roped off for someone to swan in late & probably not even use all of that space when everyone else is squished in like sardines.

I do think that all the grounds across Australia who have set ring allocations for groups probably have some of these issues arise, I hardly think that it is only the 'evil Adelaidians' and that people should avoid SA in case they get chased off by tent peg wielding space hoggers. I've shown in most states in the country and think that gazebo ettiquette is similar all over.

I do have a pet hate, it is when people set up using the shade thrown by your gazebo as their shade. It means their dogs are butted right up against your dogs and it is bloody irritating, everyone should be responsible enough to bring shade for their own dogs.

BTW in SA, gazebos need to be 5 metres from ringside according to SACA rules.

Good luck Enigma. :D Do you have people to help you out?

Thanks for the luck....I'll need it :laugh:

Yes, I have a mentor who is worth his weight in gold.....

He doesn't complain when I ask him endless Newbie questions, but I don't want to push the friendship, hence coming here to ask questions! :(

I have been to a few shows in Adelaide, and on the whole I've found the Group 3 people to be very nice.

Normally I attend the shows that my "Guru / Mentor" goes to, and he normally has everything set up by the time I get there, so all I have to do is bring myself, a thermos of good coffee, Oh and the puppy! :eek:

But there will be times coming up where they don't attend, or I'll be there first, and I'll have to do the setup.

Edited by Enigma01au

Now we're on to the gazebo squatters :confused:

:laugh: Is that what they're called? A few times an entire tribe flounced into my gazebo and I had to move out. there was no frigging room left.

Enigma, try not to piss off any of the regulars who somehow think they own a particular spot. They get very precious about a particular square of turf :mad THAT'S MY SPOT!!! Hilarious.

Goodluck and have fun.

Ditto to what rottshowgirl says! Im in group 6 and we are lovely :mad

I must say I have walked a big dog past group 1 once and some old biatch had a go at me and said 'get that big dog away from here, dont walk them past group 1' :confused: keeping in mind her dogs were going spastic at my dog who was walking in a straight line doing nothing.

SOme people are just idiots,

You will be fine esp at Gawler as there is no way anyone can say its their spor if youre there first since theyhave 2 shows there a year :laugh:

Have fun at your first show!!!!

Ditto to what rottshowgirl says! Im in group 6 and we are lovely ;)

I must say I have walked a big dog past group 1 once and some old biatch had a go at me and said 'get that big dog away from here, dont walk them past group 1' :thumbsup: keeping in mind her dogs were going spastic at my dog who was walking in a straight line doing nothing.

SOme people are just idiots,

I think the only reply to that is 'HTFU'

If a dog is just walking past and minding its manners what does it matter what size it is.

As for setting up gazebos... I think if you can get together with friends it is best... it's certainly more fun with a few people to hang out with.