"your Dog Is Not Welcome On This Beach"

Dxenion

Thank you to all who have contributed here. We will take the matter to the coucil and all of your views on the subject will be included in our submission.

The boat ramp is a new one with very little boat traffic and the flow of water past it ensures that it stays clean. We wash the dogs when we get home as well. We use the boat ramp mainly for access reasons as all of the nearby beaches are not dog friendly and the couple that are, are not wheelchair accessible.

I just want to reiterate that we have not used the area since the signs went up and have no intention of using it for the very reason many of you have stated here - those who deliberately flaunt or ignore the rules (no matter how legally ambiguous the rule is) end up making things more difficult for responsible dog owners. Access is hard enough now and our group wants to approach this in the right way so as to not make things even more restrictive. Our group is more than happy for the beach on one side of the ramp to be allowed to continue as a leash area, so that other beach users can use the beach without having to share it with dogs and their owners. We do find it odd that dogs are not welcome, but horses (and their dung) have no restrictions.

Yes 20 minutes to another beach (in normal circumstances) is not anywhere near as far as some people have to travel so I do consider myself fortunate there, however transport is an issue which highlights why it has upset so many people when they suddenly closed this beach.

I thank you for your responses.

I think the dogs bans are a knee-jerk reaction to people who have loose dogs on the beach running amok rather than the majority of responsible owners who are simply taking their dogs for a walk.

Absolutely. I totally agree with you and as people on this forum keep saying, it's the responsible dog owners who get shafted every single time the irresponsible few decide to just blatantly ignore a regulation. It just brings in more regulations.

Yes it's so sad that we will not manage the exceptions rather than the rule. If there was adequate monitoring and adequate penalties for the very small minority doing the wrong thing, sure some will never learn, but it would do a lot to address poor, inconsiderate behaviour.

Unfortunately, our society isn't geared to manage these exceptions - we just bring in blanket rules that usually impact more on those that are doing the right thing anyway. It's part of our culture where we are unwilling to have difficult conversations or make people take true accountability for their actions and apply penalties that are sufficient to influence future behaviour.

Edited by conztruct

there is 3 beaches in the rockingham council that is dogs allowed so they are not 20 mins away. more like 10. there is the one in safety bay one is port kenndy and there is one near the grain terminal. the dogs are not allowed on the horse bit which is the other side of the terminal

i did not get upset at the signs they could have been worse like people with dogs beep off :)

this is rocko bogan city LOL they need to be rude to get the bogans to listern :)

the ones in safety bay where up months ago as i seen them when i took my pup to that beach. as i was driving into every car park til i found the correct dog beach section. the dog beach is not near the ramp its further along.

i also seen them at the rock beach when i went in nov again driving into every carpark til i got to the right car park.

good luck with rocko council i think you wont get much help or responce from them

Edited by TsarsMum

Regardless of the wording, it would be backed up in their Local Laws - so whilst you may want to argue the fact with them - ignorance is not an excuse, and you would still get a fine. (not meaning you are ignorant, just that the information on where dogs are not allowed/welcome/invited is accessible, so just "not knowing" something - doesn't mean it is ok!)

The signs are there so that you know the dogs aren't allowed - if you want more specifics then there should be information on their website and/or available from an officer at Council.

Of course it would depend on the Ranger on the day - but you'd be lucky to get away with arguing about the wording on the sign.

Alas, Raz & Conztruct have summed things up pretty succinctly. I am getting more distressed at the contradictions local councils create by demanding responsible dog ownership and then restricting the manifestations of responsible dog ownership (especially dog exercise, on & off leash). And I really empathise with the OP because people with disabilities AND dogs are rarely taken into consideration by Councils.

[On a tangent, I note that yet another restaurant in Perth hassled a patron accompanied by their assistance dog...]

The only way to slow the strangulation of dog ownership is to converse with Councils, over and over again. Local members are generally more interested in being pro-active than council staff in my experience.

I think the dogs bans are a knee-jerk reaction to people who have loose dogs on the beach running amok rather than the majority of responsible owners who are simply taking their dogs for a walk.

Absolutely. I totally agree with you and as people on this forum keep saying, it's the responsible dog owners who get shafted every single time the irresponsible few decide to just blatantly ignore a regulation. It just brings in more regulations.

:) Couldn't have put it better myself . . .

The worst part is if they decide to make all non off leash beaches also dog free zones the people who just want to walk their dog on the beach without being disturbed by off leash dogs or people who may have DA dogs who want to give their dog a nice beach walk but who have to keep their dogs away from off leash dogs, do not have anywhere to go and cannot then also enjoy the beach.

Punish the irresponsible owners who are not cleaning up after their dogs and let their dogs hassle people and leave those of us who do the right thing alone.

Sadly Australia is becoming a more and more restrictive place to own a dog :)

The fact that you can be fined for having a dog on the beach indicates there is a local government law somewhere in there they will be enforcing. Councils cannot fine people without a legal basis i.e. an offence has occured.

Just did a quick google which has confirmed this - under the Dog Act (Dogs Local Law 2000 by Rockingham Council) - clause 5.1 states dogs are prohibiting absolutely from being on any public beach as indicated by signs.

Fine is $1,000 (or $2000 if your dog is a dangerous dog)

There was a rather spirited discussion on something similar in the news subforum a little while back. I agree with sandgrubber - either get involved to make some changes or at the very least, ring up your council and have a civilised chat.

The upshot of the story about the defendant in the news subforum was he lost, and had to pay Council's costs. Do you want to clog up the court list for a day only to risk receiving a hefty bill?Actually I've just had a look at your council website. Unless I'm going blind, there's absolutely nothing on there about where you can and cant take your dog. Might be an idea to ring them up and ask for the regulations just as a starting point.

God Raz, like a broken record....once again, EVERYONE has the right to go to court if they want to.

Under the local government act, all local councils have to do to make something enforceable is post a sign......whether that's no smoking, no alcohol, no dogs or any other arbitrary petty power play they feel like imposing on ratepayers. They don't have to have a good reason for it, they can do it just because they feel like it and maybe because some loser on the council has had a bad day, or a fight with his wife, or just doesn't like dogs...

God Raz, like a broken record....once again, EVERYONE has the right to go to court if they want to.

Hi tracie.

Who is the broken record? At no stage have I ever said someone does not have the right to go to court. You bolded my quote - try reading it. :laugh:

Yes 20 minutes to another beach (in normal circumstances) is not anywhere near as far as some people have to travel so I do consider myself fortunate there

5 to 10 definitely not 20 I reckon pushing 5 in the car

this is rocko bogan city LOL they need to be rude to get the bogans to listern
:laugh::laugh:

i was hoping someone who lives down here picked that up. do you remember that new article saying that rockingham is the bogan capital of w.a :rofl:

(mind you after going to the shopping centre of late i can somewhat agree with it. the christmas crazeys are deffantly in full force) ;)

this is rocko bogan city LOL they need to be rude to get the bogans to listern
:laugh::laugh:

i was hoping someone who lives down here picked that up. do you remember that new article saying that rockingham is the bogan capital of w.a :rofl:

(mind you after going to the shopping centre of late i can somewhat agree with it. the christmas crazeys are deffantly in full force) :happydance:

;) :happydance: and yes I do :happydance: think they are just jealous of the lovely beaches !