Breeders Please Be Aware Of Bitsa Dna

royalla

Just a quick question abotu the Koolie....the Koolie isn't a registered breed so the labs don't have their DNA marker anyway so they would not have come back as Koolies anyway.

Just a thought?

Koolie is on their list of breeds that they can identify though. Not sure if I can post the link?

This is interesting for me, as we have done the BITSA test as a bit of fun for our pound puppy. They rang to confirm the dogs name and advise that they were putting the results in the mail that day, apparently they can't email or phone the results through. I still haven't received the results three weeks later! And I can't get anyone to return my calls or emails....anyway if they aren't here after Christmas I'll be taking it further.

A bit of fun has turned into a horror, although after reading this thread, I wonder if the 30kg puppy will come back as a toy poodle?!

Mine took about 4 weeks and I chased it up and no one returned e-mails.

We also did it for shits and giggles...expensive but has been an 'interesting' experience.

Edited by sas

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a quick question abotu the Koolie....the Koolie isn't a registered breed so the labs don't have their DNA marker anyway so they would not have come back as Koolies anyway.

Just a thought?

yes we now do have the marker one of the dogs that was tested by this lab was one of the 40 marker dogs his dna was sent in as a test because he is a pure koolie, the own of these koolies is taking action against bitsa in the new year

Edited by royalla

Meet Angel....

Shown here at approx. 5 months old (approx 5.5 kilos).

148164_465367668510_610633510_5712504_1596094_n.jpg

Pound said her owners stated that the Dad was a Mastiff and the Mum was a Rotti x Staffy (You can't really rely on the owners mind you).

Attached is her Bitsa.

that is a mostly rotty? hehehe....

I have to say, with every other breed in her ancestry - I am devastated that shetland sheepdog wasn't there... :laugh:

Who did the tests?

some one by the name of amanda i was told she works at Bitsa

Oh so Bitsa is the company name - just had a look - they're part of Genetic Technologies - not surprised with all the "crap" from them lately...

An interesting test of their techique would be to send them DNA sample from the same dog - more than once ie see if they come up with the same list for the same dog - if you don't tell them it's the same dog.

Expensive way to find out but if I was the people planning to sue, I'd do exactly that with their benchmark DNA dog first.

Meet Angel....

Pound said her owners stated that the Dad was a Mastiff and the Mum was a Rotti x Staffy (You can't really rely on the owners mind you).

Attached is her Bitsa.

that is a mostly rotty? hehehe....

I have to say, with every other breed in her ancestry - I am devastated that shetland sheepdog wasn't there... :laugh:

My understanding is that it gives you the figure for every breed, so that you can eliminate those under xxx as not being in there, it doesn't mean that you have every breed in there.

If she is a large mixed breed (which she looks like she will be) there is a good chance that the only significant breed was rottie.

I did the bitsa on my dog came back what I expected, secondary staffordshire bull terrier and secondary border collie. I knew my boy would be some sort of herding breed x (because of his looks and behaviours), I thought kelpie but BC is definitely not beyond the bounds of possibility for him.

And no I don't work for the company :laugh:

Meet Angel....

Attached is her Bitsa.

If she is a large mixed breed (which she looks like she will be) there is a good chance that the only significant breed was rottie.

You're kidding aren't you? :o 5.5 kg at 5 months is a very little dog. My Border Collies weigh that much at 6-7 weeks and by 5 months they weigh 13-17kgs. I imagine a 5 month old Rottie would be more like 20-25kgs than 5.5kgs.

You're kidding aren't you? :o 5.5 kg at 5 months is a very little dog. My Border Collies weigh that much at 6-7 weeks and by 5 months they weigh 13-17kgs. I imagine a 5 month old Rottie would be more like 20-25kgs than 5.5kgs.

Yeah, I'm not sure about her being a large dog.

Definately a medium when adult I would say, here's her with my Danes at 5.5 months and you can see how small she is.

post-4036-1293001353_thumb.jpg

You're kidding aren't you? :laugh: 5.5 kg at 5 months is a very little dog. My Border Collies weigh that much at 6-7 weeks and by 5 months they weigh 13-17kgs. I imagine a 5 month old Rottie would be more like 20-25kgs than 5.5kgs.

Definately a medium when adult I would say, here's her with my Danes at 5.5 months and you can see how small she is.

obviously a teacup dane :laugh:

You're kidding aren't you? :) 5.5 kg at 5 months is a very little dog. My Border Collies weigh that much at 6-7 weeks and by 5 months they weigh 13-17kgs. I imagine a 5 month old Rottie would be more like 20-25kgs than 5.5kgs.

obviously a teacup dane :thumbsup:

OH! I could sell her for thousands! Damn...she was desexed yesterday :cheer:

What is the cost for the testing? I agree that some purebred breeders of some of these listed breeds should get a few dogs done without mentioning anything about their pedigree. What a cash grab for people simply feeling the need for having a 'breed' name to their mutt...if they really wanted that, they'd stop buying 'designer dogs' and go for a dog with a pedigree history.

$140 plus postage ...........we had a pup in the pound tested .......but is was more to prove to the ranger what he wasn't than what he was :laugh: ..........worked for us in that respect as he came back 25% staffy , 25% labrador , 25% dobermann and rest unknown breeding .........council was happy with the results so lucky little Bingo didn't get shot and has a loving new home instead :thumbsup:

$140 plus postage ...........we had a pup in the pound tested .......but is was more to prove to the ranger what he wasn't than what he was :rofl: ..........worked for us in that respect as he came back 25% staffy , 25% labrador , 25% dobermann and rest unknown breeding .........council was happy with the results so lucky little Bingo didn't get shot and has a loving new home instead :rofl:

LOL, were you trying to prove he's not a pitbull? The Bitsa test we have here doesn't have APBT as an option, last time I looked at it, so no dog can come back as a pitbull. :rofl:

Sorry that's what you get for not reading posts clearly :laugh: . I am an idiot. I should have said medium dog. She is very underweight by the looks of the pic though.

Who knows with a real crossbreed, I think it is only really useful if you have a dog that is a clear mix of one or two breeds.

I am pretty sure these people are the same people who do DNA profiling on purebreeds, this is just a lucrative sideline!

I don't think this is aimed at the DD mob btw more at people who have crossbreeds of unknown origin who are curious. DD people are proud to tell you their dog is a proper "breed" not bitsa testing needed. :laugh:

Should just add she is very very cute and I love the pice with the danes. :)

Edited by Quickasyoucan

If you sent away an anonymous sample for a pedigree Bull Terrier the results should come back as

Bull Terrier as the dominate breed followed by

British Bulldog as the secondary breed,

then Dalmatian

and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

A Miniature Bull Terrier should come back the same as Bull Terrier. Unless of course they were crossed with the Jack Russel or other terrier which caused PLL to be bought into the breed.

If only I had the money to test the theory. :)