Breeders Please Be Aware Of Bitsa Dna

royalla

my friend sent bitsa the DNA of 4 koolies 2 that she bred herself and knows their history and breeding for the last 40 yrs and one of those 2 dogs was used to get the stamp for the koolie dna gene the other 2 dogs she knows the breeding and history behind them but did not breed them herself.....the results are guaranteed to be back with in 14 days which 3 did come back in that time but the 4th one was missing so she rang the company and asked about the last one she was told that there had been a mix up as the dna came out as pure kelpie so they were going to run it again.........my friend said ok and hung up and then sat down to read the ones that had come back, the first one was for a very small fine boned bitch 49cms tall and her dna said that she was mostly koolie great dane x bull mastiff the next dog she read said that it was koolie x great dane this is the dog with over 40 yrs of koolie breeding merle to merle all the way by my friend and only stands at 52cms tall the next was a dog that i owned for awhile and know her dam a koolie as my father owns her and my friend owns her sire the dog with 40 yrs of koolie koolie breeding behind it now this dna came back as poodle x koolie so what happened to the great dane that should have turned up and where the hell did poodle come from as i said i owned this dog my father owns her mother and she has no poodle in her i have never seen a merled short straight coat that malts like mad poodle before each of the 3 koolies came back with 54 breeds in there dna some of the breeds have only been in Australia for 10 or 20yrs now and no way could they be in these dogs blood lines ..... the 4th dna has never turned up and the Bitsa will not take any calls from my friend and refuse's to refund the money of the missing dna report, so breeders please be aware that if you use Bitsa your Boxer that you breed may come back as a shi tzu x and you could end up in a court case with the unhappy new owners of your pup

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone I know did this too.. her bitsa came back BC x Labrador.. no way in heck was that dog a BC x Labrador.. but she believes it! That's all they want I guess...

I do wonder who gets to sit there and make that stuff up though.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

I went to a lecture at KCC Park earlier this year run by the company who sells the 'Bitsa test'

They said to keep in mind that what you see is not what the dog is made up of.

You also need to look at temperament, traits, habits, skills, quirks etc as that is what the dog is more likely to be then what the dog looks like on the outside.

With that said, i think it's a crock of shite my self.

I've read the handouts that the company sends to vet clinics to try to get us to sell Bitsa to clients. It sounds very good and very scientific in theory. But in practice, I've heard many horror stories about dogs getting results that are clearly inaccurate.

We had them done free through work..

Maverick's came back as Siberian Husky.

Hector's came back as Staffy.. (yes he is a cross breed.. but he looks nothing like a staffy!)

I wouldn't of paid to have it done.

We had a dog come through the shelter that was great dane in appearance and came back as a toy poodle.. :)

Meet Angel....

Shown here at approx. 5 months old (approx 5.5 kilos).

148164_465367668510_610633510_5712504_1596094_n.jpg

Pound said her owners stated that the Dad was a Mastiff and the Mum was a Rotti x Staffy (You can't really rely on the owners mind you).

Attached is her Bitsa.

Sorry but trying to read the report, can you tell me if this is right?

I see it as saying she is less than 25% Rott, and then a true mix bred.

With Chi, Itl Grey, Dasch and Maltese making up the next breeds.

I can see how a dog could be as small as her and be a combination of these breeds.

I also think I can see some traces of these breeds in her.

However, what every Angle is, she is certainly a cutie !

Edited by shortstep

Just a quick question abotu the Koolie....the Koolie isn't a registered breed so the labs don't have their DNA marker anyway so they would not have come back as Koolies anyway.

Just a thought?

Koolie is on their list of breeds that they can identify though. Not sure if I can post the link?

This is interesting for me, as we have done the BITSA test as a bit of fun for our pound puppy. They rang to confirm the dogs name and advise that they were putting the results in the mail that day, apparently they can't email or phone the results through. I still haven't received the results three weeks later! And I can't get anyone to return my calls or emails....anyway if they aren't here after Christmas I'll be taking it further.

A bit of fun has turned into a horror, although after reading this thread, I wonder if the 30kg puppy will come back as a toy poodle?!

Sorry but trying to read the report, can you tell me if this is right?

I see it as saying she is less than 25% Rott, and then a true mix bred.

With Chi, Itl Grey, Dasch and Maltese making up the next breeds.

I can see how a dog could be as small as her and be a combination of these breeds.

I also think I can see some traces of these breeds in her.

However, what every Angle is, she is certainly a cutie !

mmm how I interpret it is that Rotti is the only breed it's able to clearly indentify, any of the other breeds are way distant however could be incorrect due to simialr traits or something like that.

She is just a pup at the moment so still another 6 months of growth to go so it will be interesting to see what she turns out like.