Britains Ugliest Dog.

cannibalgoldfish

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is to blame for the pugs that cannot breath properly, overheat, bloat, and cannot give birth unassisted ?

Where did you get this idea from? Sure, pugs need to be watched in the heat (as do all braccy breeds, AND long coated breeds in hot weather!) but the rest of your statement is just rubbish.

I think the dog should be put to sleep. Look at it's eyes and how can it possibly eat properly with a jaw like that? I think to keep it is extremely cruel. They should do the right thing and give the pup its wings.

Similar dogs that I have seen are fed minced food. Mush. Yes, the dog gets its nutrition but there is little to no chewing. This results in more dental problems of the teeth in the back of the mouth, and sometimes these are in the wrong place as well. These poor dogs do not have a normal life but have no end of care given to them by dedicated carers. Don't start me on the ethics of it all. Lets just say that I am not a right-to-life fan when the odds of a normal life are too far against you.

Souff

I think it's great that the Brits celebrate ugliness. This guy certainly qualifies!!!!! Personally, I think some breeds are ugly, full stop . . . and I tend to love them for it. Time for Australia, and the US (I'm a dual) start their own ugly dog contests :( As for whether this guy should be pts . .. I'd say you'd have to be a eugenicist/nazi to say advocate that unless he shows some health defect that dooms him to a life of pain.

Actually if you read through the article again you will find that the ugliest dog contest IS an American contest run out of California.

Lets be reasonable. Cross breeds do not all look like Doug. Infact, Doug is the only dog that looks like Doug I have ever seen, and thank goodness for that :o

I have seen enough who have jaws almost as bad as this dog's, where they cannot close their mouths to eat and chew food properly, where there tongues hang out of the side of their mouth permanently, and have the teeth outside the lips smashed off because they run into brick walls and things because their balance is bad probably because something else is twisted in their head ....... and that is only part of their problems in the head area! The body and joints are disaster areas as well usually.

Nature intended teeth to be INSIDE the mouth where they are given protection by a hard bony jaw - teeth were never meant to be OUTSIDE the head of any mammal.

This dog is a VICTIM of CROSSBREEDING.

This dog is a VICTIM of CRUELTY. Neither situations are something to be celebrated - they are a both a sad reflection on humans who are supposed to be responsible for the welfare of animals.

Even if he is the result of an accidental mating, there are humans walking around who could have prevented that accidental mating.

We have an obligation to ensure that badly contorted bodies like Doug's NEVER HAPPEN and we can do that by either desexing non-breeding dogs or selecting the correct genes for the puppies.

Probably this jaw and skull is a mix of a brachy breed (and there are a number of breeds to choose from) and a non-brachy breed.

That people are celebrating the ugliness of this poor unfortunate dog says to me that we have more sick minded people in the world than I realised.

Souff

Souff that ugliest dog contest run out of California has a pedigree and crossbreed section so there are many pedigrees out there that come out with many horrible birth defects also.

All of the pedigrees were originally crossbreeds of different dogs to produce particular traits. So there is nothing wrong with PROPER crossbreeding.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

K&P:

Souff that ugliest dog contest run out of California has a pedigree and crossbreed section so there are many pedigrees out there that come out with many horrible birth defects also

The only 'defect' the big winner of that ugly dog contest had was 'old age'. He was an aged Chinese Crested. :o

uglydog.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

K&P:
Souff that ugliest dog contest run out of California has a pedigree and crossbreed section so there are many pedigrees out there that come out with many horrible birth defects also

http://google.blognewschannel.com/archives...liest-dog-dies/

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/m...for_worlds.html

http://www.lulu.com/static/pr/11_23_05.php

You cannot say that those dogs are all just ugly from old age.

Some would say they are ugly because they are hairless Chinese Cresteds!! Lets just say that some breeds age more gracefully than others. :o

Can you identify a 'birth defect' other than their hairless skin? Warts, sun spots, cataracts and tooth removal have done the rest.

Edited by poodlefan

Some would say they are ugly because they are hairless Chinese Cresteds!! Lets just say that some breeds age more gracefully than others. :o

Can you identify a 'birth defect' other than their hairless skin? Warts, sun spots, cataracts and tooth removal have done the rest.

I'm no expert so I will give up on that tangent, but I am sure there have been many pedigrees born with birth defects, disability or bad health. Just like there are many children who have perfectly healthy parents born with defects or some form of disability.

It still doesn't take away from the fact that most of our pure breeds today are all here due to crossbreeding in the past, if everyone had the attitude don't crossbreed many of our loved breeds would not be here today at all.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Souff that ugliest dog contest run out of California has a pedigree and crossbreed section so there are many pedigrees out there that come out with many horrible birth defects also.

All of the pedigrees were originally crossbreeds of different dogs to produce particular traits. So there is nothing wrong with PROPER crossbreeding.

Thats not to say that the poor examples of pedigree dogs were by registered breeders. far more likely that the shih tzu with a bad bite was by a byb than a registered breeder.

Doesn't sound like you support pedigree dogs. Especially saying that there is nothing wrong with 'proper' crossbreeding. There is a huge variety of breeds to choose from to suit any person or family. We don't need some crossbreed, bred purely for fun or looks. People aren't breeding crossbreeds for purpose, their breeding for fun or money.

I think Poodlefan has told you already that the American dog was an old Chinese Crested, a purebred dog, and I will make no comment on the aesthetic appeal of that breed.

All of the pedigrees were NOT originally crossbreeds.

And there is no such thing as "PROPER crossbreeding".

Souff

Pixie - I have absolutely nothing against purebreeds and no where in their did I say that I did. I said that purebreeds can have the same issues ie: defects, health issues, disabilities. And I support registered (caring) breeders of pure breed dogs I have nothing against them.

When I say proper cross breeding I mean cross breeding for the betterment of a particular type of dog done by loving, caring breeders with knowledge. Not cross breeding by BYB idiots.

As I have said before many of your pure breed dogs would not be around without crossbreeding. Some would be but many dogs were bred for a particular reason and as such were cross bred with other dogs to create a more suitable dog, many NOT all pure breeds were developed this way.

I was not attacking anyone, I was not attacking pure breeds. I was pointing out facts.

And I didn't write what I did to get into a verbal, p**sing match with anyone. I enjoy spirited discussions involving everyone's opinion, because this is how you learn something new.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

When I say proper cross breeding I mean cross breeding for the betterment of a particular type of dog done by loving, caring breeders with knowledge. Not cross breeding by BYB idiots.

What sort of "knowledge"?

Knowledge of dogs and dog breeds. Knowledge of what is going to enhance a dog. Knowledge of how to breed, ie: looking after pregnant bitches, whelping, puppies etc. Knowledge of health issues to be aware of and test for. The list goes on.

As I said Souff I am not here to fight I am here to express my opinion like everyone else and have a healthy discussion on people's views.

You and I don't share the same views and that is fine, I don't want to make this out to be bigger than it is or end up making an enemy. I just wanted to express my opinion re: cross breeds.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Gone to look up stuff on "hybrid vigour" I spose

Not at all still here.

That was quite rude. Clearly you have nothing more sophisticated or educated to say back to me so you have come out with some smart ass remark.

I am trying to be friendly and have a discussion with you and because I don't share your views you are being absolutely rude. Grow up.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Gone to look up stuff on "hybrid vigour" I spose

Not at all still here.

That was quite rude. Clearly you have nothing more sophisticated or educated to say then some smart ass remark.

I am trying to be friendly and have a discussion with you and because I don't share your views you are being absolutely rude. Grow up.

What is rude about the term "hybrid vigour" ? :o

I think you are being naughty telling another poster to "grow up". I might have a word with Troy about that.

Pixie - I have absolutely nothing against purebreeds and no where in their did I say that I did. I said that purebreeds can have the same issues ie: defects, health issues, disabilities. And I support registered (caring) breeders of pure breed dogs I have nothing against them.

As I have said before many of your pure breed dogs would not be around without crossbreeding. Some would be but many dogs were bred for a particular reason and as such were cross bred with other dogs to create a more suitable dog, many NOT all pure breeds were developed this way.

I was not attacking anyone, I was not attacking pure breeds. I was pointing out facts.

And I didn't write what I did to get into a verbal, p**sing match with anyone. I enjoy spirited discussions involving everyone's opinion, because this is how you learn something new.

There was a great thread by Jed which explained how many purebreds may have come about. By choosing particular dogs with the desired attributes or ones that would improve current dogs. Not by crossing already estalished breeds necessarily, as many breeds were developed around the same time before there were breed standards as such.