Weird Dog Behaviour.....

Bluefairy

Hi,

My daughter has an Australian Terrier, she is about 12 months old. When she is with my daughter, her husband and her 3 energetic kids she is fine, loves to play, will settle down and be quiet when told to, and sit still when told. She is calm 95% of the time....

Now every single time I visit, she jumps up at me constantly, if I sit down she runs, jumps on my legs, and jumps down. She will not do anything that is asked of her by me or my daughter. In fact she becomes so hyper that she has to be moved outside otherwise she won't stop.

Now I have never stroked this dog....I can't I have an OCD avoidance to touching wire haired dogs, its the feel and even if they are soft in coat if they look wire haired then I can't bare to touch them. Its something I have had for the last 48 years and I can't get over it.

But I need to know why she goes crazy every time she see's me?

She doesn't bite or hurt me in any way, she doesn't growl or bark. She just seems to me she desperately wants me to pay her attention...which I can't.

Can someone help me understand why she does this?

Even my daughter doesn't get it, and she thinks I may be a bad influence on her dog :thumbsup: She has never done this to anyone but me.

BF

My guess would be that the dog cannot understand the ''vibe'' it is getting from you (the disinclination to touch it for example) and also may not be able to understand why you don't interact with it as other people do. Dogs don't generalise so it's possible that because you don't act like other people the dog isn't 100% if you are a person or not (don't take that personally :thumbsup:)

Do you pay the dog any attention apart from touching it - play with it with a toy, give treats for good behaviour etc? Even if you can't bring yourself to pet the dog, are you able to do these other things?

I've actually never tried to do anything with her, she never stays near me long enough. I don't like the constant jumping, as she once ran at the back of my legs and nearly knocked me flying, it was an accident but left me feeling scared that she'd do it again.

I do talk to her, when I come down, but thats it.

I know cats tend to make a point of making you touch them, if you ignore them at all....maybe this dog is trying to get this across but in the only way she knows how.

I have done this to several dogs I have met, but I have never ever had this kind of reaction from one. I'm just glad she is a small dog and not a large breed.

Perhaps her extreme reaction is because she senses you are special to the rest of her family. My parents' dogs have always been particularly deliriously happy to see me, even the ones I haven't ever actually lived with. It is the same for my brothers. I couldn't say if it goes the other way around.

My newfie Katy is quite adamant that she should be acknowledged. All people have to do is give her just the smallest quick stroke. She does not jump or hassle people . She just stays near them until they do. When it is done, she goes away.

My Sister is not too keen on having a big dog nearby and she now knows that all it takes is "hello Kate", quick head rub and Katy goes off to sleep. If she doesn't Katy hangs around until she does. Often sitting nearby with a "hung dog" look. She also does it with the wife of one of Hubby's friends, who is not too keen on large dogs

It might be a more quiet version of the same. Mind you if we send her away, she will go, because she knows we have consequences :thumbsup:

Ok... so you need a 'circuit breaker' :thumbsup:

Don't speak to her at first.

go in.. and before she approaches.. have a special toy with you which will squeak or rattle ..or use a clicker.That will get her attention.. then calmly and slowly , and with a hand signal.. get her to approach .When she is standing still, or sitting, click/rattle again softly, and giver her the toy .

perhaps she will fetch? That way you can indeed pay her attention ..for doing something other than being excited :confused:

Hi,

My daughter has an Australian Terrier, she is about 12 months old. When she is with my daughter, her husband and her 3 energetic kids she is fine, loves to play, will settle down and be quiet when told to, and sit still when told. She is calm 95% of the time....

Now every single time I visit, she jumps up at me constantly, if I sit down she runs, jumps on my legs, and jumps down. She will not do anything that is asked of her by me or my daughter. In fact she becomes so hyper that she has to be moved outside otherwise she won't stop.

Now I have never stroked this dog....I can't I have an OCD avoidance to touching wire haired dogs, its the feel and even if they are soft in coat if they look wire haired then I can't bare to touch them. Its something I have had for the last 48 years and I can't get over it.

She doesn't bite or hurt me in any way, she doesn't growl or bark. She just seems to me she desperately wants me to pay her attention...which I can't.

Even my daughter doesn't get it, and she thinks I may be a bad influence on her dog :thumbsup: She has never done this to anyone but me.

BF

What is she like with other visitors? Like some others have said she may be picking up on your vibes. I do find my Aussies get very excited when visitors come, especially my male, jumping and running around like crazy things but give them 5 minutes and they settle down and go about their business or if you sit down they tend to just lay down for a cuddle.

With other visitors she is the same, but very quickly settles down, when she is told to stay. But me she gets so excited, she jumps up, bounces off me and runs off and comes back repeating this behaviour over and over until she is placed outside.....it is very unsettling to see a dog go 'nuts' like this.

I have also seen other visitors (not many) ignore the dog from the start and she just walks away from them, like she can't be bothered. Maybe its me.... :)

I will try the toy throwing and she what she does next. I don't mind playing with her so long as she doesn't jump up or on me, and so long as I don't have to touch any part of her. I know that sounds so horrible, and I feel horrible I can't just pet her......but I have tried and I can't. I also can't wear gloves at all, again its a thing to do with my hands....I can't even use hand cream. Its a tactile avoidance thing.

Oh and on the very rare occasions I have actually seen her calm when I was in the room (after she has been put outside and brought in a lot later), she sits on my foot or under my chair for ages.

I love dogs, I have always had them, but never a wire haired one.....

Thank you for the suggestions

BF

Do you ignore her when you arrive? One of my dogs can be very jumpy with visitors/strangers, but she is better if they take no notice of her.

This might sound stupid, but providing she was calm, could you pat her if they put a little dog shirt on her or something? Then you would be patting her, but you wouldn't have to touch her fur.

Or could you do things with her, like feed her dinner or take her for a little walk, even if your daughter held her leash. Or have they tried taking her on a good walk before you arrive, to drain her energy a bit?

Hi,

Even my daughter doesn't get it, and she thinks I may be a bad influence on her dog :laugh: She has never done this to anyone but me.

BF

What is she like with other visitors? Like some others have said she may be picking up on your vibes. I do find my Aussies get very excited when visitors come, especially my male, jumping and running around like crazy things but give them 5 minutes and they settle down and go about their business or if you sit down they tend to just lay down for a cuddle.

Yep my Aussies are exactly the same as yours Austerra when we have visitors, & will always settle within 5 to 10 minutes.

I also suspect that this Aussie may be getting a differen't vibe of you & is desperately seeking your acceptance & attention.

Is it possible that your daughter could put the dog in a crate when you visit, so in that way your daughter doesn't have to put her outside, & she can still be inside to enjoy your visit without actually being able to harrass you. Then your daughter can try letting her out of the crate maybe after half an hour into your visit to see if she has calmed down enough to leave you alone.

It might me worth a try anway. :laugh:

Nicole

Bluefairy

I guess it is mostly the novelty value and also a reflection of the pleased to see you vibe that the family displays towards you. My dog used to greet my mum by trying to jump all over her and lick her to death so I had to train her not to, and I had to train my mum too.

Things that will help calm the dog down - like some of the others have said:

Ignore the dog.

Get your family to put it on lead so it cannot approach you without permission and certainly not while it is excited.

Ignore it. This means - you don't make eye contact with it - very important. And you don't talk to it - also important. And you don't try to pat it (unlikely, but no reaching hands out to repel it either). And turn your back if it jumps at you. At this point - it helps if you're wearing sturdy trousers like jeans but it's better if the lead is used to prevent excited approach and jumping.

Ideally if the dog calms down enough and is not pulling on the lead or jumping - then it would be ok to let it sniff you, no need for you to touch it. But it should not be allowed to approach unless it can do so on a loose lead, and be calm. And if the others in the family use squeaky toys or food to achieve this, it might work better than if you do it.

Again - avoid eye contact. And avoid talking to it. It will regard any attention including scolding as encouragement. I think if you throw the food or toys, most dogs assume that if they come back - there will be more treats or games in it, ie they won't leave you alone. But if you decide to try that option, make very sure the treat or toy does not get thrown unless the dog is a comfortable distance away from you. If he is too close - don't throw (thereby not rewarding closeness).

I think if you don't want to interact with the dog, then you're better off not feeding treats or throwing toys. But it may help if others in the family do in a way that rewards the dog for keeping his distance but also makes him happy that you're here.