Woo Hoo - Getting A 7d!

CrazyCresties

I had planned on getting a 7D when some shares I have hopefully make some profit ( :D ) but my OH said to me tonight 'why wait' and that I might as well get it while I'm still not working and enjoy it :whee: (I'm going to have to get back to work soon, but won't start looking until the MIL has gone back to the UK after her visit at the end of Jan :D )

So that leads onto the inevitable questions.....where to buy?

DWI is the cheapest and I've heard good things about their service, but has anyone had any experience with the Mack Warranty? Is it worth taking out?

On another note, do those of you that have the 7D have any gripes about it, or are you happy with the camera?

Cheers :)

I got mine through DWI and purchased a Mack warranty but I think I probably shouldn't have bothered. Reason being, I have insurance for the camera anyway so if I break it or loose it, it's covered, plus you can get a 7D so cheaply now through DWI that it's just about as cheap as buying one 2nd hand, which of course wouldn't be covered by a warranty. DWI supposedly covers it for a year anyway. Right now they're more than $200 cheaper than I got mine for. I feel like buying another one :whee:

I'm sure you'll get differing opinions on the warranty, but that's mine.

I thought my 450d was pretty good.....until I got my 7d that thing is the shit!!!!!

DWI was best price, I didnt even consider insurance, Im pretty careful with my stuff and if anything went horrendously wrong dropped/stolen my house insurance will cover (make sure you add it)

Enjoy! It takes stuff all time to arrive and remember to order a CF card unlike me :p

:o:) crazycresties I'm sure you will love the 7D

I got my from DWI...here in not time

I like the feel of it to when taking photo's

so so many setting and things you can change...I still haven't worked out my ideal settings :D

some days I don't think I ever will...then I see Kirislin's gorgeous photo's with her 7D and keep plugging away :D

I have lost count how many different one's I have tried out

battery life is good.....I get a lot of photo's before needs recharging

can't wait to see your photo's....the one's with your new lenses have been stunning :)

my next purchase I think would be a macro...but then i wonder if I would use 3 lenses enough :laugh:

I brought all my lens through DWI also :)

I didn't purchase any warrenty with any of mine

I still haven't worked out my settings, I dont know if I have it on the best for what I want, there's so much stuff on it, so many options and controls it's scary! I think I am only using a pinheads size of what it capable of. I feel like a learner pilot in charge of a jumbo jet.

there's so much stuff on it, so many options and controls it's scary! I think I am only using a pinheads size of what it capable of. I feel like a learner pilot in charge of a jumbo jet.

me to... :)

but having some fun so guess that's the main thing

poping out a few photo's every now and then that i'm happy with

:) :D crazycresties I'm sure you will love the 7D

I got my from DWI...here in not time

I like the feel of it to when taking photo's

so so many setting and things you can change...I still haven't worked out my ideal settings :laugh:

some days I don't think I ever will...then I see Kirislin's gorgeous photo's with her 7D and keep plugging away :D

I have lost count how many different one's I have tried out

battery life is good.....I get a lot of photo's before needs recharging

can't wait to see your photo's....the one's with your new lenses have been stunning :)

my next purchase I think would be a macro...but then i wonder if I would use 3 lenses enough :D

I brought all my lens through DWI also :)

I didn't purchase any warrenty with any of mine

Thanks Frodo's Mum :D I'm loving the macro lens in particular at the moment, but it's also a 'normal' lens so it doubles up.

Well I took the plunge and just ordered it from DWI, no extra warranty - just the body only :o Wasn't gonna hang around once OH said 'get it' in case she changed her mind :) I'm guessing I won't get it until after the new years though with holiday closures - will have to be patient :laugh:

Get the magic Lantern guide to the 7D to learn how it works - may as well spend $20 to learn to use everything you've paid megabucks for rather than leaving it on the auto settings.

The battery is different from the 50 D or 550 D series - I have a second one but then if I suddenly cant work the camera at a horse event Im kinda stuffed. Be aware though apparently you must use Canon approved batteries for it not el cheapo ones as apparently the charger will kill it (there is something more on the photography forums). And the second battery can be quite pricy. However if its not essential to have the second battery one battery will suffice for the time being I have had it last about 3 race meetings so far (or one horse show and a race meeting) before I decided to recharge.

I find the images the equiv of the 40D but recently got a brand new L lens so that should make them even better. However it has larger file sizes (Im only using the medium jpeg and a cropped 12x18 inch on ISO 1000 came out fine) and take more in a burst and in quicker succession than the 40D.

check that the cf cards you have will be OK for the 7D, it would be very frustrating to find you have the camera but cant use it yet.

OK thanks Kirislin, I have 2 x SanDisk Extreme III 1GB cards and 1 x SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s UDMA 8GB card. From a quick google I think these should be fine :)

Get the magic Lantern guide to the 7D to learn how it works - may as well spend $20 to learn to use everything you've paid megabucks for rather than leaving it on the auto settings.

The battery is different from the 50 D or 550 D series - I have a second one but then if I suddenly cant work the camera at a horse event Im kinda stuffed. Be aware though apparently you must use Canon approved batteries for it not el cheapo ones as apparently the charger will kill it (there is something more on the photography forums). And the second battery can be quite pricy. However if its not essential to have the second battery one battery will suffice for the time being I have had it last about 3 race meetings so far (or one horse show and a race meeting) before I decided to recharge.

I find the images the equiv of the 40D but recently got a brand new L lens so that should make them even better. However it has larger file sizes (Im only using the medium jpeg and a cropped 12x18 inch on ISO 1000 came out fine) and take more in a burst and in quicker succession than the 40D.

Ooooooooooooooooooh what is this magic lantern????

GO to the book depository uk site and look up magic lantern 7d guide - should be about $20 incl postage (thats $Aust). Goes into a lot more detail than the manual that comes with the camera.

I've been using my 4gb and 2gb cards with the 7D and that fits plenty of photos but then Im on the medium jpeg as I find that file size is plenty for prints up to 30x45cm (cropped).

GO to the book depository uk site and look up magic lantern 7d guide - should be about $20 incl postage (thats $Aust). Goes into a lot more detail than the manual that comes with the camera.

I've been using my 4gb and 2gb cards with the 7D and that fits plenty of photos but then Im on the medium jpeg as I find that file size is plenty for prints up to 30x45cm (cropped).