How Do You Leave Them Behind

Bullbreedlover

People with pets need have an evacuation plan and leave early if able. Once emergency evacuation has been called you will be arrested and forced to evacuate regardless. Dogs in Theodore look safe at least, hope this is the case for pets all over central qld.

http://www.news.com.au/national/disease-fe...r-1225978700048

Disease fears grow as flooding hits towns' water supplies and rivers rise in Queensland

RECORD flood levels in Queensland towns will take weeks to recede, sparking fears the disaster could lead to a disease outbreak with hundreds of homes inundated with contaminated water.

Dozens of communities remain isolated with flooding at unprecedented levels in Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Emerald and a string of smaller towns as more than 1000 people were forced out of their homes, The Courier-Mail reported.

Emergency alerts were issued to residents in flood-affected towns to boil drinking water.

Up to 500 homes are at risk of flooding in Rockhampton, where the mayor fears a repeat of the devastating 1991 floods.

And Bundaberg residents were out in force this morning to see the raging Burnett River which peaked at 7.9m overnight.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related CoverageLatest pictures: Flood damage End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Bundaberg's main street was spared, while low-lying businesses and caravan parks weren't as lucky.

Parts of the town are cut off and bridges are closed, but residents are relieved to see patches of blue sky.

There have been rooftop rescues in Bundaberg overnight.

North Bundaberg was hardest hit and residents were evacuated to emergency shelter at North Bundaberg High School. Rescue helicopters plucked two residents to safety this morning from the top of a shed.

The SES said major flooding of the Burnett River is easing but river levels will remain high until tomorrow.

It reached 7.9m at 5am, but its flow was so fierce it damaged flood gauges. Hydrologists are struggling to get an accurate reading but predict it will rise slightly further to its peak.

The river is expected to start receding tomorrow. The record peak for the Burnett River at Bundaberg is 9m, set in 1890. Today's peak is expected to be the sixth highest in history.

The SES has received more than 800 calls for help since 5am yesterday.

Evacuation centres have been set up at the Bundaberg showgrounds, Civic Centre and Agro Trend Ground.

Almost 200 houses in southeast Bundaberg and Bundaberg North have been evacuated since yesterday, as well as about 70 houses in Bundaberg East.

In Emerald, the town's last remaining bridge is about to be shut. The railway bridge, which links one side of town to the other, will be closed this morning.

Authorities have made the decision as the Nogoa River continues to climb to dangerous levels. It was at 15.3m at 4.30am.

Bureau of Meteorology senior hydrologist Paul Birch said the river is expected to smash its record of 15.7m, set in 1950.

The raging Nogoa is predicted to reach 15.8m tomorrow and to remain around that height for about five days.

The Red Cross are preparing to evacuate 1000 people from Emerald today. Many have already fled to the homes of friends and family.

Further north, the swollen Fitzroy River continues to make life tough in Rockhampton.

It reached 8m overnight and is expected to peak at 8.5m on Sunday. "It will probably stay around that level for at least a week," Mr Birch said.

The record peak is 10.1m, set in 1918. In 1991, the Fitzroy climbed to 9.3m.

About 20 pets stranded in Theodore after their owners were forced to evacuate were in the care of a council officer, who stayed overnight in the abandoned township.

A police spokesman said the pets, mainly dogs, were airlifted out today with the final two and their carer due to leave Theodore about 11.30am.The spokesman said it could be a week before residents were allowed to return.

"We're going to reassess the situation over the coming week to see what happens with the water level," he said.

"There's water further upstream so we need to reassess it as it comes through and see what impact it has on the town.

"Our officers in the town are keeping a watchful eye and reporting back on a regular basis."

Water contamination threat

Meanwhile, health authorities said water supplies may be contaminated with sewage, fuel and animal carcasses.

There are also concerns minor cuts or abrasions could turn into major infections if people enter turbid flood waters.

Mosquito-borne disease might also prove to be a problem when the water recedes.

Deputy Premier Paul Lucas said minimising health risks was critical over coming weeks.

Banana Shire Acting Mayor Maureen Clancy said the health of the Theodore community, west of Bundaberg, was paramount in deciding to evacuate the entire town.

"One of the main reasons everyone had to evacuate was the water, sewage and the health risks," Cr Clancy said.

The health warnings came as authorities battled to ensure there was enough safe food and water in affected communities.

With Anna Caldwell, Sarah Vogler, Koren Helbig, Kristin Shorten and James O'Loan

For in-depth coverage of the floods go to The Courier-Mail.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visiting tradesman, who also volunteers for the SES, told me that their experience was that most people who own pets, just refuse point blank to leave them. He said his area leader told them that they'd have to take that into consideration.

After Hurricane Katrina in the United States, their federal government now requires, by law, each county to have a disaster plan. And it's also required by law, that people's pets have to be included. The carrot is that a county will not get any federal disaster funding IF they haven't already put together a disaster plan.

Talking of the Theodore evacuation, did anyone see someone's Odd Couple pets in a crate together. A lovely little Silky Terrier & a Galah. Quite at peace with each other.

ADDED: I found the info about the US law requiring pets to be included in the required Disaster Plans. Scroll down.

There's other references, too, for how to include pets in evacuations/emergencies. Material from the US Vet Association & even the US Red Cross.

http://awic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index...tax_subject=181

And here's the actual US law which says companion pets & service animals must be included.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...publ308.109.pdf

Edited by mita

Part of the problem is also about hygiene management for animals in evac centres as well as being able to control them. Animals can panic and be unpredictable in these circumstances too. They will also take up space there and require food and water and toileting - different resources to those of the people who will be housed there, possibly for several days. Some of those people at the evan centre might also be allergic to animals, scared of certain animals and probably in shock from what has happened to them and their losses.

I adore my dogs and have emergency evac gear always ready in the shed so that rather than face a forced evacuation I could leave under my own steam with my animals. If you leave it too late or if the emergency is sudden then the reality is human life needs to be saved first. An animals crate on a rescue boat is in fact a seat for another human being at risk of harm. I don't think it is fair to put rescuers (who are often volunteers) in a position like that. They are working hours upon hours trying to save as many people as possible and if you take up a boat with yourself and your pets that is another trip they have to make to save the next person. Unless you have been in a true disaster then it is easy to say you are not leaving without your animals but the reality is that hundreds or maybe thousands of people HAVE TO.

Having done disaster recovery one of the most heartbreaking memories I have is of an old man out at Charleville. He loved his chooks and left them in a pen with a roof thinking they would be alright. The water rose and drowned them at the top of their pen. That man was grief striken when he was able to return home and see what happened. So while my dogs are my world that man's chickens were the same to him, yet we probably wouldn't be too keen to see a crate full of chickens sharing floor space with us at an evac centre.

So sorry but based on experience I can see the need to focus on people and not animals during a true disaster. I do wish there was a national animal evac org as well as I do think there is a specific need to move animals away from harm. Even cattle don't deserve to drown. But if you can get them out yourself earlier then do it. My emergency plan includes camping gear so we can set up somewhere with the dogs well outside of the danger zone.

I remember seeing the footage from hurricane katrina and that poor guy who didn't know if his dog was alive until rescues found him and they reunited days later, it was the most wonderful thing I have ever seen, but still very lucky.

Americans were so traumatized at pets having to be left behind to die, after Katrina, that they passed the law requiring pets be planned for. Both sides of politics supported it.

Got to hand it to the Americans, they now organise these disaster plans with precision in detail & need. And have training programs & cooperation between the human & pet resource groups.

One ex-New Orleans lady told the story of how her hospital's staff brought their pets with them into work when Katrina struck. But the authorities wouldn't take the pets when picking the staff up by helicopter. One doctor offered to stay behind with the pets. If nothing could be done within a few days, he'd gently put them to sleep with injections.

This lady was sent to a holding place in Texas where she had to stay for a number of weeks. She accepted that there hadn't been a chance in hell of the 'hospital' pets being saved. She was sad about her beloved poodle girl, but was pleased she hadn't been left to suffer.

Later, she was able to move to California to a new job & home. Then one day a couple of months after the disaster, she got a phone call from a lady in New Jersey who said, 'I think I've got your poodle in foster-care!'. She then described the unusual pink collar the poodle was wearing. And it was her poodle!

Turned out that all the 'hospital' pets had made it thro'. Only one died of heart failure from age, in foster-care.

After Katrina, dog rescues from the the northern states had banded together, trucked down loads of crates & set about 'sailing' around the flooded streets rescuing pets. Then taking them into foster-care, with as much info that might identify owners, as possible. And they'd come upon that hospital!

Edited by mita

When I was a lot younger we went through Cyclone Tracey.............The Police came around about three days later to shoot dogs/cats (never sure whether it was a official ruling) My father stood his ground and completely refused and we kept our dogs out of sight (3x GSD's) and he said "over my dead body". My parents also did not evacuate, because the dogs were not allowed to come. They just sent us with friends. There is no way i would go with out my dogs, we have an emergency plan......Our horses would be more difficult, but if we had early warning, we would move them. Which we have in the past for possible fire threat. Call me neurotic, but better safe than sorry

i think it is to awful to even contemplate leaving your animals

That said I also agree that some people have had plenty of warning in some areas to leave earlier and didn't, but there might be reasons for that

Geez, wasn't it enough that people lost everything without making it even worse for them by killing their beloved pets, which aside from being family members could have been a source of comfort to them

at such an aweful time. Good on your Dad for saving your dogs, I bet they helped ease some of the pain your family was feeling.

I can understand some people particularly with families, will have higher priorities than their pets. It's a personal decision.

My dogs are more important to me than anyone, including myself. So the dogs absolutely come first no matter what the situation.

Yes, whilst i love my animals dearly i would not endanger the lives of my children by trying to save my pets at the cost of my children.

I would try my very best to evacuate my pets but if it came down to it i would have to make that decision. That is why it is so important to be prepared. It doesn't mean that it all won't go to hell but at least if you have planned for such a moment you should at least have your head on straight when it comes down to it.

It made me sick to hear about the two young girls that perished in the vic fires trying to save their horses. :confused:

They would have to drag me away kicking and screaming. But then that is why we live on a hill and have a stockpile for emergencies.......no way you are moving me without the animals

I could not leave my Pugs behind....but same as Espinay2 where we live if we flood it means all of Vic have flooded lol.

Here in Vic it is fire which is our worst enemy....up north theirs is flooding.

Thsi is a very highly emotive subject and it's one I sure do not hope to face one day. I'll be honest though and say human life is more sacred than animals.

I would be far more upset if I lost my family or friends to a disaster than losing my pets or their pets.

I'm still mourning for my girl I lost back in April this year, but the thought of losing my parents in a flood because they stayed behind for an animal would just about kill me.

None of us can know what or how we'll react until the time comes. It's would be devastating for those who have had to leave beloved pets behind. But not everyone or everything can be saved. I'm sure there are a lot of large stock ie: much loved horses, sheep and cattle left behind and died.

There would also be a massive back lash against rescue choppers etc if they evacuated animals over people and people died. If people want to stay behind with their pets and risk dying that is their choice and it should be honoured.

Those who choose to go without their pets shouldn't be victimized.

I've just got back online. I got flooded out on Monday evening. The water came up very fast, I had about 1.5 hrs to get out. No warnings, help, phone calls from authorities etc. No info as to whether it was expected to get worse...

My house sits lower than the road, so the first thing I did was get the ute up onto the road. Then began wading back and forth with crates, some food, clothes, dog gear and finally the 5 dogs (all little ones, thank goodness). It was waist high when I left. Saw a snake in the water as I waded out. EEK!

The road was cut in both directions, but I managed to get to some higher ground a bit further down the road and camped in the ute there the first night. Thank god I had a ute not a car, because the water was at .6m when I drove through.

Staying at a friends now - 5 dogs living in her bathroom!!!. Got back to my house yesterday arvo, water went through at .5m. It's pretty trashed. Starting the cleanup today. Truck arriving at 9am to start hauling out all the wrecked stuff.

I've just got back online. I got flooded out on Monday evening. The water came up very fast, I had about 1.5 hrs to get out. No warnings, help, phone calls from authorities etc. No info as to whether it was expected to get worse...

My house sits lower than the road, so the first thing I did was get the ute up onto the road. Then began wading back and forth with crates, some food, clothes, dog gear and finally the 5 dogs (all little ones, thank goodness). It was waist high when I left. Saw a snake in the water as I waded out. EEK!

The road was cut in both directions, but I managed to get to some higher ground a bit further down the road and camped in the ute there the first night. Thank god I had a ute not a car, because the water was at .6m when I drove through.

Staying at a friends now - 5 dogs living in her bathroom!!!. Got back to my house yesterday arvo, water went through at .5m. It's pretty trashed. Starting the cleanup today. Truck arriving at 9am to start hauling out all the wrecked stuff.

You're lucky you and your dogs got out okay...so sorry to hear that your property didn't escape unharmed. What a terrible thing to go through. :laugh:

While watching the news tonight they showed the evacuation of the town of Theodore in Qld. The residents gathered their pets up only to be told they had to leave them behind :cry::cry:

The residents were flown out by helicopters.

It must be a devastating experience to leave your pets behind.

I hope I am never ever faced with doing this because I know I couldnt cope.

How do you keep them as safe as possible?

Devastating for every one

BUt youd expect people with cats to have the carry cage things for them and expect people with dogs to have leads. And with all the stories that came out of the US where people went back by dodging official closures you'd think they would have learnt.

What about the Vic bushfires? obviously those who got out took their animals with them (unless they got away from the owners somehow) to the emergency centres - didnt seem to be too many problems there.

We had the bush fires come through us at Drouin West. Luckily, despite being told 3 times by the local fire station that there was no imediate threat for us, I had called the new owners of our 8 wk old puppies that were due to leave us that weekend, and all but two were picked up early Saturday. We were left with two, when the owners couldn't get through later that day, and I took a lot of large crates to my mother's place in Drouin, just in case we had to evacuate. Still, the fires took us by surprise when they came. My old darling, Paddy, was inside at the time, and he suddenly became distressed, barking in my face and pawing my knee. I told my husband and Father-In-Law that that was it, if Paddy said to leave, then I wanted to get our three children out. They laughed at me, but my husband agreed anyway, and when he went to the door, he came back screaming that the house behind us, between which lay our two dog paddocks, was on fire. He ran to open the runs and let the dogs out, and amazingly, all of them raced over to the cars, except the two puppies, who lolloped around like twits, as Golden puppies do! I scooped them up, too, and tossed them all in the back of the same station wagon (7 dogs in one car!) My husband kept yelling to leave them and just take the klids, but unlike him, I was a bit more prepared and didn't panic(Sorry, Babe). I had packed my Father-In-Law's car with our possesions, and quickly got the screaming kids into my car. We took off with the dogs in Hubby's car, kids in mine, and my father-In-Law with all our important possesions(Kids/wedding photos and momentos, etc)in his car. Luckily, we had the breaker of the mown paddocks, to slow the fire's progress, or obviously we could have been in serious trouble. It was so dark, too, and impossible to see anything (just imagine poor Kinglake, etc). We lost everything around the house, dog runs, barn, fencing, etc, but the house made it. We had to move into town for over a week, and with no fencing/runs, etc, we ended up placing several of our dogs, a couple permanently, which was also really hard. We had been renting(although the runs and fencing, etc, we had done ourselves), and it took over a year to find suitable rural accomodation again, but it could have been so much worse...We had no warning at all, and if we had been surrounded by thick, dry old trees like the house behind us that ended up a chimney...It is o.k. to say that you would never leave your dogs, but I had two children under 2 + a panicing older daughter to consider. When you don't have enough warning, there really isn't a lot you can do, and the best I can suggest, is that if there is the potential for threat to your animals, or children, then get them out EARLY if you can. Everything else can be replaced...I miss my special dogs, that I had to place, and the two that weren't suited to where we are now, so much, but at least they are alive, healthy, and treasured family members where they are now. It could have been so different...I lost my Paddy a year ago next month...I miss him most of all. He was my truest friend...

A very sad story Paddy but also inspirational. You did an amazing job to be so organised 'just in case' and it saved lives - yours and your animals. Big hugs to you and your family. Paddy will always be a special dog that sounded that important warning and got you all to safety.

A very sad story Paddy but also inspirational. You did an amazing job to be so organised 'just in case' and it saved lives - yours and your animals. Big hugs to you and your family. Paddy will always be a special dog that sounded that important warning and got you all to safety.

I agree Puppy sniffer.

Hugs paddyforever and everyone else who has ever had to evacuate with pets.

It just keeps getting worse. According the 9 News, pets in Condamine had to be put down before their owners where evacuated as no pets were evacuated from that town.

Where the hell are the RSPCA and why aren't they saying a word about this? Surely they could charter some choppers to take the animals out when they have a day or in some cases, several days warning, before towns are inundated.

It just keeps getting worse. According the 9 News, pets in Condamine had to be put down before their owners where evacuated as no pets were evacuated from that town.

Where the hell are the RSPCA and why aren't they saying a word about this? Surely they could charter some choppers to take the animals out when they have a day or in some cases, several days warning, before towns are inundated.

Now

I am just going to talk about the Condamine township here, and i am sorry to say this, but those townfolk "knew" beyond doubt that their town was going to flood. The Condamine river goes right through it. It is a low lying town with a huge flooding river going through it. I have been there when we used to make hay a couple of years ago.

They say they werent given notice. How much notice do they need? They could of got all their pets out to safety way before the town flooded.

I dont know where the RSPCA were. I dont where animal advisors were. It makes me angry but it also makes me so sad. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to advise people about moving early

Just watching the news tonight was devastating.

They showed Woolworths in Emerald(have been there) under water. The flow of the water was huge. You have to feel so sorry for everyone.

My dogs and parrot are always ready to go at the drop of a hat if necessary for whatever reason. Either in the two cars or in their trailer.

Why is no one helping these peoples pets??????????? I just dont get it!!!!!!!! There must be something we can do to help these animals!!!!!!!

Sounds like it may be too late for the ones from Condamine but what about the other areas they are evacuating....whats happening to their pets???????

I live near Emerald, danger should all be past for us and our stuff, cant get to check on horses and cattle though but there shouldnt be any worries. I have taken in more pets than I should, some people have dumped them with me days ago without a care in the world or even a phone call. I am 8 months pregnant and have plenty of my own animals to look after so am feeling a little bit used at the moment. Other people have been told no big dogs at evacuation ceters so have left them at home with extra food and water. Others have foolishly turned their dogs loose to fend for themselves, bet most of them are not found again. There are facilities for pets at the Ag college etc. Friends in Rocky are shifting horses and pets now, there was a whole lot of warning for most people in Emerald, it was a shame they didnt bother to prepare themselves. My biggest worry is not being able to get a water tanker in, I havent been able to for at least six weeks so am carting water to the kennels by hand now. Lucky it will soon be over!

Im not sure if it has been mentioned previously but there is a low supply of aviation fuel,which would be why the choppers are trying to get as many people out as fast as possible.

The SES were advising people with pets to evac early and were taking them on boats but it has got to the stage where the larger punts arent safe in the faster water so chopper is the only safe way.

this is a catastrophe and happened so fast that early evac time was limited and we can only hope it doesnt happen again in the future.

Dont be too hasty critisising the SES and emergency services as a lot of them lost their property as well and were out helping others when they could have been looking after themselves 1st

I'm sorry but it wasnt that fast. The media might say so to make a good story but the CHRC has been ringing, texting and having messages on the website for days now. BOM has had warnings plus plenty of gossip on the street. We have been packed up ready to evacuate for weeks, even the guinea pigs have transport cages and food at the ready and I am only really effected by local flooding. I have purchased enough feed for people and animals to see us through (hopefully) the coming weeks to be prepared for shop closures and lack of stock, after all animal food isnt high priority for transport. Council told people in town to make plans to evacuate, flood prep etc days ago - they refused to listen and refused to think it could happen to them. I dont know about other towns but if you arent prepared to heed warnings and be prepared then you shouldnt be whinging if things go wrong as predicted.