Problem With Canon 50m 1.8

jr_inoz

hi all

my canon 50mm 1.8 lens has stopped working on the auto focus mode.

I thought it was the camera, but the other lenses all still work.

I can manually focus it (but i suck at this).

Any one have issues with theirs? any reason why it might not be working?

Any help appreciated

I think it is just out of warranty

May seem like a silly question but I do this all the time, have you accidentally knocked it from 'AF' to 'MF' on the lens?

yeah Ash - I checked that - and then switched it to manual - took some photos no problems, then switched it back to AF and it wouldn't take them. I think it is the motor on the lens...

Yeah Krislin - going to check - if it is out of warranty, is only by a few days.

a quick update - and have to say, love the assistant in the camera shop...

took the lens in to where I bought it - was two days out of warranty. They said that they'd get canon to honour the warranty. anyway - whilst looking at the lens - to write a description, the assistant noticed a section of the focus ring had 'lifted' slightly. Applied a bit of pressure and it was fixed. Has been working fine last two days - so fingers crossed. Have no idea how it happened - assume a slight knock at some point.

I had the same problem with this lens, although it wasn't fixable by clicking something back together. Mine had to be shifted to MF, then back to AF and it would auto focus a few times, then quit, so shift back to MF and back to AF again. A pain in the butt.

In the end I gave it away and bought a 50mm f1.4 which is a much higher quality lens. The 1.8 is a crap lens that takes great photos, but doesn't generally last long no matter how you baby it.

The earlier model is a much better build. My husband picked one up on eBay for around $100 and it is a VERY nice lens. Same quality glass, much more solid casing, and metal mounts.

My 1.4 has just been taken back into canon for repair after it stopped being able to focus at all. $250 to fix. Ouch!

I've read on a couple of forums that it's pretty common for the 1.4 - not sure about the 1.8.

that happened to mine too, I wrote about it here, it was just out of warranty and I'd already sent it back when it was still within warranty but at that time they couldn't find the fault. Luckily for me after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing and a quote of almost $400 they eventually said they'd fix it for nothing "as a gesture of goodwill". The 1.4 is known for this problem although Canon denied that when I said I'd heard it was known for it. I almost wonder if we'd be better of just buying the cheapie and throwing it away when it stops working and just get another one. :laugh:

My 1.4 has just been taken back into canon for repair after it stopped being able to focus at all. $250 to fix. Ouch!

I've read on a couple of forums that it's pretty common for the 1.4 - not sure about the 1.8.

that happened to mine too, I wrote about it here, it was just out of warranty and I'd already sent it back when it was still within warranty but at that time they couldn't find the fault. Luckily for me after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing and a quote of almost $400 they eventually said they'd fix it for nothing "as a gesture of goodwill". The 1.4 is known for this problem although Canon denied that when I said I'd heard it was known for it. I almost wonder if we'd be better of just buying the cheapie and throwing it away when it stops working and just get another one. :laugh:

Mine is starting to have focusing issues, too. It gets 'stuck' and I have to wind the ring back to infinity before it will focus again. :laugh:

that happened to mine too, I wrote about it here, it was just out of warranty and I'd already sent it back when it was still within warranty but at that time they couldn't find the fault. Luckily for me after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing and a quote of almost $400 they eventually said they'd fix it for nothing "as a gesture of goodwill". The 1.4 is known for this problem although Canon denied that when I said I'd heard it was known for it. I almost wonder if we'd be better of just buying the cheapie and throwing it away when it stops working and just get another one. :confused:

Mine is starting to have focusing issues, too. It gets 'stuck' and I have to wind the ring back to infinity before it will focus again. :rofl:

And I was beginning to think I should just save up for the 1.4 - maybe not!

(1.8 is still working after the 'fix')

Yeah, I am not sure I'd buy another, I've heard good things about the Sigma, the colour is supposed to be richer and the bokeh better, although I've also heard it isn't always calibrated accurately so the focus might be off until it's sent back for recalibration. I am not sure if they improved their quality control with that, I suppose the place you could ask is POTN.

Sorry yours is starting to play up too Terra, that's starting to look like a fairly high rate of failure just amongst us DOLers.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the 1.4, too!

I, knock wood, work it to death and have not a single problem. Pretty sure mine is older than any of yours - could be more problems with certain batches as it seems to go in waves (like every other gear problem I've read about!).

I hope you can get it resolved cheaply and quickly!!

Mine is a year old in 11 days... Maybe I should take it in now?

definitely take it in before the warranty expires even if you only have an intermittent problem. Then at least they have it on record that you have a problem with it. They might even be able to replicate the problem there but even if they cant you might at least have a chance of getting it fixed it it does spit the dummy when the warranty expires.