Dog Taking His Time Ingesting Food From His Bowl

giraffez

I know this sounds really weird, I noticed my older dog is ingesting his meal rather slowly and has been for a number of weeks now. It almost feels like he doesn't want to eat or its not enticing enough but he does end up eating the entire bowl of food. It started happening around the time i got my new puppy. He is not protective of his food and the puppy is not close to his bowl either. I might be paranoid but could it be something inside of him thats making him uncomfortable eating. It usually takes him half the time it does now to finish his bowl of food.

I have noticed that since getting the puppy, he has been rather calm and slower than his usual self. Could it be he has finally matured and broken from his puppy behaviour? :laugh:

One off treats like dried liver he gobbles up quite quickly.

He still have energy, and I haven't noticed any change in personality besides the more calm and gentleness.

Please tell me I"m just being paranoid!

Not necessarily being paranoid.

When did he last see a vet and have his teeth checked?

I noticed a friend's old dog not eating properly and asked her the same question. The answer really shocked me, he'd been assessed as needing a dental 2 yrs before but as she thought it was too dangerous for an oldie to have anaesthetic she didn't do anything.

I explained they have light anaesthetic now and insisted she go urgently. SHe'd noticed he'd gone off his food and didn't want bones any more - no wonder, he was in a great deal of pain. Almost all of his teeth were taken out and he's a really different dog now, got a lot more life in him!

Not necessarily being paranoid.

When did he last see a vet and have his teeth checked?

I noticed a friend's old dog not eating properly and asked her the same question. The answer really shocked me, he'd been assessed as needing a dental 2 yrs before but as she thought it was too dangerous for an oldie to have anaesthetic she didn't do anything.

I explained they have light anaesthetic now and insisted she go urgently. SHe'd noticed he'd gone off his food and didn't want bones any more - no wonder, he was in a great deal of pain. Almost all of his teeth were taken out and he's a really different dog now, got a lot more life in him!

Had it checked in july. I can't see any inflammation but I have noticed he doesn't like his bones as much. But he ends up eating them anyway.

And he is only 2 years old, can it be that fast to have dental problems?

Edited by giraffez

And he is only 2 years old, can it be that fast to have dental problems?

Sadly - giraffez - yep it can come on quickly. I'd be doing the obvious first and checking his teeth with the vet - may be coincidence that the puppy arrived at this time.

Its a good point and it would make sense if it was dental problems. But i really don't see any swelling of any type and he is not irritated by me touching his gums.

I don't think its the heat because we have had really cold days last week and he was pretty much the same.

By the way, he is on the weight management type of dog food (I think its really bland). Come to think of it, it started more after I started him on the weight management type of food. He doesn't like it as much as the full fat version. He almost gives me a disgust look everytime but eats it. haha i don't blame him!

After the arrival of the puppy, i notice it more as the puppy finishes his food so much quicker (i'm really beginning to think he (the puppy) isn't chewing - today i gave him the heart worm chewable and it was about 1cm thick, he just swallowed it entirely! )