Camping At Shows

Edenishy

G'day everyone...

Hoping someone can help me with something specific.....as well as some general tips and tricks for camping at shows...

Firstly....does anyone have a Oztrail Inner Tent Kit?? If so...does it offer full privacy??

We are getting conflicting information....the camping store said that the doors are only mesh so doesnt offer full privacy...but the windows have mesh and a cover which can be rolled down if needed for ventilation etc.

Some people are saying that the door also has mesh but covers also to offer privacy etc.

Also, how does the camping work. Is there a separate section for camping or is one able to camp under the Gazebo which would be set up near ring side?

Any other tips etc for camping at a show would be highly appreciated!! Do some come with power or not....is it ok to have a generator or are they too noisy etc.

What couldnt you live without for camping at shows etc...any info and experiences would be great!!!

Ishy, every showground is different. most country shows have camping spots and some have powered sites - the show schedule will usually tell you if powered sites are available to book.

Some shows are held at a town's showground, some on sporting ovals, some at dedicated canine grounds. So its hard to generalise.

Most of the camping is away from the ringside gazebos.

camper trailers are very popular.

fifi

i couldnt live without my caravan with its own shower and toilet

Yeah well that would be ideal however isnt really possible for us.

For one we dont even have a tow ball (or car capable of towing much) and we certainly dont have the money to invest in a caravan anytime soon but would be something we would hope to get one day if we got right into the show circuit (which we no doubt will as im already addicted after our first and only show)

We will be getting a new car/wagon this year so will have to make sure we get one that could tow a caravan!

You have raised another question though...Im guessing theres no real shower facilities at shows (with camping)? I assume there would be toilet facilities though?

fifi

So would one not be able to set up an "inner tent" under the Gazebo near ringside or would you be expected to move the Gazebo to the camping area? Not that it would be much of an issue but of course would be more convenient to not have to move it?

Everywhere I have been has showers and toilets a lot I would not use myself. :confused: but there are always service stations to use

I started off many years ago with a car, a couple of dogs and a swag, my kitchen was a tin box with a kettle and a gas bottle, and of course the good old esky.

I graduated to a tent and a dog trailer and a engel fridge somewhere along the way, then to a purpose built dog mobile and a caravan, when I retire I will travel Australia in it.

Edited by KOE

Some shows have rulings that you may not camp ringside however others are more lax.

We camped at Lancefield and tents/caravans set up outside the oval. We had power. Also shower and toilet facilities. Same as Noorat/Camperdown. Camping outside the oval area with shower and toilet and power.

I think the inner tent kits need to be used with a solid wall kit to be fully private. However personally I like having my tent away from the rings and we have a large dog pen set up etc. Plus the dog trailer.

We then leave our gazebo set up ringside overnight.

Generators are okay but please if you are using one DO NOT leave it running all night. Too bloody noisy.

Edited by SpikesPuppy

All the grounds we go to in country NSW have showers & toilets.

I'm saving for camper trailer, at present I have the gazebo with solid walls, butted against my hiace van with my kitchen & gear in the gazebo and me & the dogs have the van with mattresses. its wired for 240v, so I now have lighting in the van & gazebo and a nice little kitchen area with a folding table & chairs with electric jug, toaster, sandwich toaster ect.

for many years it was just the back of a small van and a tent.

And before that it was the station wagon, a beach umbrella, a tie out stake, lead and brush !!!!

fifi

I don't know about the oztrail gazebo inner tent things, we just have an oztrail tent that is fantastic!

And if you do use a generator as other have said please don't keep it running all night, drives people insane.

Things you will need if there is no power:

Portable gas cooker and extra bottles so you can still have dinner!

Portable camping lights and a good torch for those nighttime toilet runs incase the grounds don't have power (this happens a lot!)

Battery packs have saved our butt a number of times when we needed that little extra bit of power

If there is power get a really long extrention cord or two, sometimes you have to camp a long way from the power sorce.

Also something people seem to forget about is something to clean your dishes in and if you have too have a sponge bath incase there are no showers!

(We learn't about that the hard way :confused: )

This is how we started out:

WalbundrieShow4-1.jpg

And this is us (we did have friends with us) now and it dosn't show the three tents either:

IMG_3561.jpg

We love camping at shows, it's so much fun and you meet some really lovely people.

Edited by Bjelkier

I like your taj mahal Bjelker !!! you'd make a bedouin proud !!!

tips for young players, don't camp too far from your friends if you are going to drink wine and find the toilets or your camp in the dark ! and remember your torch !

fifi

Oh, and for those camping at Gunnedah, don't leave a small flap of your lodgings open or you will wake up like I did with a very noisy grunting and p*ssed of koala IN your tent !!!

try grabbing TWO wolfhounds by the scruff while one of those in with you all !!!!!

fifi

Firstly....does anyone have a Oztrail Inner Tent Kit?? If so...does it offer full privacy??

We are getting conflicting information....the camping store said that the doors are only mesh so doesnt offer full privacy...but the windows have mesh and a cover which can be rolled down if needed for ventilation etc.

Some people are saying that the door also has mesh but covers also to offer privacy etc.

There is a mesh tent and a tent inner (2nd release), The original one had zip up windows, the new ones don't im told.

The new ones have No-See-Um mesh for insect protection - from the oztrail site

BUT you put up the tent, then put up your walls around the tent as this was how it was designed to be used.

!BzUo(LgBWk~$(KGrHqMOKj8Ew,Z,9dThBMVhJSbqC!~~_12.JPG TENT INNER sells for around $190-$220

screen_house_inner_large.jpg SCREEN HOUSE, sells for around $140

Edited by SwaY

fifi

So would one not be able to set up an "inner tent" under the Gazebo near ringside or would you be expected to move the Gazebo to the camping area? Not that it would be much of an issue but of course would be more convenient to not have to move it?

The issue is people sleeping ringside, not what they chose to sleep in.

Most people have a marquee for ringside, and tents/marquee for camping and don't move it.

When I camp at a show I only have the one gazebo which I put up at ring side and park behind it. The gazebo has the dog stuff in it, a small gas stove, table, chairs, esky with the food and a gas light. My car, a van, has my bed in it and all I have to do is not sleep in and miss my call - after having Afghans years ago, always said I'd never get an 'A' again so what have I got - Aussie Silky and Gp 1 is always first!

post-654-1293958173_thumb.jpg

This was at Echuca, really hot so I settled for under a shady tree and just took the dog over to the ring in the trolley.l

My gazebo has solid walls and mesh ones as well and I use both when it's hot, just drop the solid walls for privacy.

When I camp at a show I only have the one gazebo which I put up at ring side and park behind it. The gazebo has the dog stuff in it, a small gas stove, table, chairs, esky with the food and a gas light.

As someone who has been warmed up by a cuppa or two in your gazebo, you are well set up!

Yep, we have had some fun :love: miss my dog shows but my girl should be whelping about the end of this month so 'I MAY BE BACK' :love: Ultrasound on Thursday.

PS. A gas heater can be very handy, gets mighty cold some mornings and evenings.

Yep, we have had some fun :D miss my dog shows but my girl should be whelping about the end of this month so 'I MAY BE BACK' :love: Ultrasound on Thursday.

PS. A gas heater can be very handy, gets mighty cold some mornings and evenings.

Pebbles....you are begining to retire from the ring more times than John Farnham has retired !!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:love: hope you are back with new babies :rofl:

heaters ?? you wusses !!!!

fifi