Price To Pay For Saving A Pup

Teebs

Twenty years purebred pups could be bought for $200.

Rescue and RSPCA dogs cost about $50-$80 because they had been vaccinated by a vet who donated their services.

People gave away pups from accidental litters of all types "Free to a Good Home"

Ms White would have earned about one quarter of what she can earn today.

Had Ms White been on welfare benefits she would have found it difficult to be able to afford to feed a medium/large dog, feeding the family was often done with the help of others if you were on benefits.

Wonder if Ms White will desex the cheap crossbred mutt that she got from Facebook, or will she go on to breed litters of mongrel bred pups and sell them at today's prices as "cute puppies"?

She probably wont be able to pay for desexing ...... not at today's prices.

Troy you need a big thumbs down icon, just for people like Ms White.

Souff

Big Thumbs Down for Ms Linda White and her appalling attitude as reported in the Central Western Daily on 6th Jan 2011. Some people should not own animals at all.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geezus,

Wants a bargain for a dog??. Well they have no idea what costs are involved for keeping the dog healthy.

This just infuriates me, this is advertising people to "search" on facebook to buy dogs for a fraction of the price. I can't imagine this dog would be looked after very well at all with that attitude.

So instead of "rescuing" a pup, she lined the pockets of a back yard breeder and will now have to fork out for vaccinations, microchips and desexing.

Some bargain.

Of course if the dog never sees a vet some money will be saved. Pity the news report didn't address all those issues.

We found someone on Facebook who had the same sort of dog we wanted, a cross cattle dog, and they even dropped it off to us.”

And that rang no alarm bells?? So you never saw Mum or the littermates, have no idea what conditions the pup was raised in and have no indications of future temperament. Good one. Sounds like the "breeder" couldnt' get rid of it fast enough.

Rescue cross breed pups are still the same products of a BYB with rescues providing the BYB with an outlet to dispose of pups that no one really wants. Adult rescues are a different proposition as they can be a properly assessed end product, but if you are not going to buy a pure breed pup from a registered and ethical breeder and punt on a cross breed, you may as well buy a cheapy IMHO if thats the type of pup you want.

But $350 is probably less than it would cost you to take your free BYB puppy to get de-sexed, vaccinated, microchipped etc.

But $350 is probably less than it would cost you to take your free BYB puppy to get de-sexed, vaccinated, microchipped etc.

That's assuming you actually do these things.

Of course, but the poster I was responding to was saying that a puppy from a BYB and puppy from rescue org are the same product so you may as well go with the free one. That is not exactly true as the difference will be the vet work which has already been done with the rescue pup.

Edited by Malamum

That's assuming you actually do these things.

Of course, but the poster I was responding to was saying that a puppy from a BYB and puppy from rescue org are the same product so you may as well go with the free one. That is not exactly true as the difference will be the vet work which has already been done with the rescue pup.

And hopefully the rescue pup has been temperament tested. :thumbsup:

I am wondering if maybe it is a badly written piece that was meant to point out the reason RSPCA charge what they do but the reporter isn't very good and missed putting in important points?

In saying that I have now written a polite but truthful email to Tracey.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Lol - Zero cost me $300 to "buy" from the pound. So far he's had about $2000 in training/behavioural management, $5000 in vet costs, not to mention the thousands of dollars spent on his welfare and "stuff" he needs.

Worth every cent IMO.

What's going to happen when the dog gets sick for the first time? $350 is nothing. I would rather have a dog from the RSPCA that i know is desexed, microchipped, vaccinated and doesn't come with known behvaioural problems than an unknown from someone who just dropped the dog off to me.

How people think $350 is 'expensive' when all the vet work has been done is beyond me.

Some people have the mentality that you owe THEM for actually giving the dog "a good home".

Yep :thumbsup: Some people have it in their head that rescue dogs should come at absolutely no cost to them, and that rescues and shelters ought to be grateful to them for even considering taking one in. Kind of like how in shops you get a discount on shop-soiled goods. Apparently no one told them a rescue dog isn't quite the same as jigsaw puzzle that's missing the corner piece.

I am wondering if maybe it is a badly written piece that was meant to point out the reason RSPCA charge what they do but the reporter isn't very good and missed putting in important points?

I agree, that's what it seems like to me; as if the journalist intended to support the RSPCA's position, but did a pretty poor job of it. Maybe she's new and being given the fluff pieces to teach her the ropes?

Edited by Feather

In saying that I have now written a polite but truthful email to Tracey.

You might just be right, as they do have the "feel-good" pic of the RSPCA staff cuddling the dogs who are looking for homes. Unfortunately, it still spreads the same crap message. That reporter needs to be put in the mail room where she can't do any more damage.

I wonder where she goes ''IF'' she buys a car does she buy one from a dealer who repairs any faults and guarantees the vehicle or does she buy the private sale, one little old lady job in the local classifieds.then when it breaks down she can see how much the mechanics charge per hour.

This was just put online: I know Jazz and very proud she got in the paper!

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news...er/2041877.aspx

Online order angers animal lover

BY TRACEY PRISK

07 Jan, 2011 08:11 PM

ANIMAL-LOVER Jazz Rosewell said she was angry to learn that an Orange woman had decided to get a puppy via Facebook rather than pay $350 to get one from the RSPCA.

“Soon there will be legislation that stops people from getting animals from anywhere other than registered breeders or the RSPCA,” she said.

“We need to protect animals and make sure people can’t get dogs from puppy farms.”

Ms Rosewell said not everyone who sold an animal privately was doing the wrong thing, however, tighter restrictions on the sale would be in the best interests of the animals.

Ms Rosewell said she considered the $350 the RSPCA charged for puppies to be cheap.

“The RSPCA is not difficult or prohibitive ... you just need to budget to have animals,” she said.

“I don’t mean to sound harsh but if they can’t afford the $350 it costs to buy the dog, they may be better off to wait until they can.

“The cost of a dog doesn’t stop once you have them, there are so many costs along the way, including the cost of ongoing healthcare and boarding them when you go on holidays.

“Dogs are a lifelong commitment.”

Ms Rowewell said she was concerned that dogs sold or given away privately and not through a registered breeder or the RSPCA may not have been given adequate health care.

“They’re not forced to follow the same guidelines about things like microchipping and desexing as the RSPCA and registered breeders are.”

Lol - Zero cost me $300 to "buy" from the pound. So far he's had about $2000 in training/behavioural management, $5000 in vet costs, not to mention the thousands of dollars spent on his welfare and "stuff" he needs.

Grumpy and Mini didn't cost me anything but their 'kennel' and 'run' cost $320,000 ... :crossfingers:

I think $350 is pretty damned good and the journo should do another follow up as to whether Ms White has desexed, vaccinated and microchipped her dog and how much it cost her. It's notable, however, that people are giving a smackdown to the journo whereas it may well be the subeditor who has done the damage to the original article. It you see an article that doesn't make sense or seems cut off in places, it's usually the subbie making sure it can fit into a particular space in the paper, rather than the journo buggering it up.

Nice that the RSPCA gave a non-too-subtle swipe at BYBs, though.

Edited by Sheridan

Grumpy and Mini didn't cost me anything but their 'kennel' and 'run' cost $320,000 ... ;)

Hahahaha - Zero's car cost me $32k ;) The big selling point of the x-trail was that i could fit his crate in the boot :laugh: