Lots Of Puppy Questions

Kate39

Hey everyone, we've just gotten an 8 week old pure bred english staffy, Laycie who is just so cute an adorble. I've never had a puppy before and just wanted to ask some questions.

1. We went her to be an outside dog, but are happy for her to come inside (the laundry/back room) to sleep at night. What age should we start leaving her outside? At the moment when we are home she's in the back room with the back door open so she can venture in and out. (which I'm happy to continue when she's older, I just dont want her in the main parts of the house, lounge room/kitchen ect) She doesnt go outside though unless we're outsdie and when we're inside she's in the back room at the gate. I know she's only little and wants lots of company but when do you think she'll start wanting to explore outside by herself a bit? When we leave (only leaving her for 15 mins here and there, and had to leave her for 1-2 hours the other day) she's been locked inside. should we just put her outside when we leave? or is she too little? We think our yard is secure but perhaps we shuold put her outsdie and leave for only about 10-15 mins and then come back and just make sure she hasnt gotten out etc? This question is our main concern, we're just not sure when to put her out when we're out.

2. Feeding- so we kinda have just been leaving food for her to graze on all day, but after reading a bit I'm thinking this isnt really a good idea unless we're leaving her for over a feeding time kinda thing? I've been reading about that TOT training thing, and this dog doesnt seem to have much of a love for food (probs because it's there all the time) So if we just kinda put breakfast out for her, give her how long to eat it before we pack it away? and then the same with lunch and dinner? Also anything good in particular to be feeding a puppy? for dinner we've been doing vegies, rice, meat with like a gravy and similar for lunch, and for breakfast I've been doing wheetbix with puppy milk? any critism here would be greatly appreciated also.

3. Training.. so we wanted to give that TOT training a go is it okay to start it with a puppy as young as 8 weeks? Also with the food thing because this training seems to be food driven she's obviously going to have to want her food, so when I feed her , if she has like 2 mouthfulls then walks off and seems disinterested, how long do I leave it there for? or do I just take it away as soon as she loses interest in it? Any recomondations with other types of training? is it necesary to do puppy school/training? or do you think we're able to train her ourselves using this TOT method?

4. Crying- she cries a fair bit, (which I think comes with this breed) We leave her in this back room (there's like a safety kids gate stoping her from getting into the rest of the house) and we come and go, inside and out she can see us when we're in the kitcehn and hear us in the loungeroom etc. She's getting better with the crying while we're home but out of site, but what can we do about crying when we leave her at home. We've given her lots of toys, chew things, she loves pigs ears they seem to keep her entertained for hours. Is this just something we have to wait out? or is there a way to stop it. I've been going in and praising her when she's been quiet for longer periods of times. And trying to completley ignore when she's crying/barking. She cries a bit at night (which I would love to just ignore her) but I'm worried about her waking the baby (18 months old) she's usually pretty good and sleeps through anything, but Laycie's been getting quiet loud, she's quiet from about 8pm-1 or 2, but then just barks and barks, so we get up to take her to the toilet, and she doesnt go. Could she be hungry at this time of night? do we need to feed her throughout the night?

Anyway sorry for all the questions, a bit new at this.

Thank you for your replies in advance. :rofl:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kate39,

I'm always attracted to posts from people who have just purchased a staffy pup, oh the joys and crazy moments owning a stafford!

There are lots of breeders in this forum that will be able to give you some excellent advice. I'm not one of them but can tell you about the experiences I have had with my 2. Indy is almost 4 years and Buster is coming up to 10 months. They are like chalk and cheese in many aspects so have gone about things differently to suit their personalities.

Personally I think 8 weeks is too young to leave a puppy outside while you are out. That opinion is just from my experience. Even though your yard may be secure I think there are always hazards for a young puppy around unless you have an enclosure of some sort. As to when to leave Laycie outside by herself???? I'm not sure, I guess it depends on the dog.

Indy was always independent and loved exploring the garden by herself but Buster has always been a "mummys boy" following me around the house and will always be in the same room as me. Time outside together with Laycie will probably make her feel more relaxed and confident in the garden.

I don't think grazing on food all day is a good way to go. Others may think otherwise. I prefer 3 meals a day for the pup and wouldn't feed through the night. This might get her into bad habits and lead her to continue waking through the night. If my dogs haven't eaten all the food at the one feeding then I take it away. Saying that, Buster has never refused a meal and inhales his. Indy however ate slowly as a pup and would walk away when she had eaten enough.

Crying is something we experienced with both but I must admit that as crazy as Indy was as a puppy, she was excellent at night times and only cried for a few weeks after we got her. Buster just couldn't stand being alone at night and we were bad parents and brought him into the bed on a few occasions! Once he was big enough we were able to crate him properly and he used to sleep with Indy for comfort. Crying at night can be a long hard process but perseverance is the key as I'm sure most people will tell you.

As I said, I'm not a breeder and my thoughts are just from my experience with my 2 lovely dogs. Welcome to the world of staffy ownership and I hope you'll love it as much as I do.

I wouldn't leave her the food to graze all day. When my boy was little he got 10 minutes to eat then it was gone. Now hes older, he knows to eat it when he's given or he doesn't get anything else. He values his food, whereas my aunts dog who grazes all day (and is very fat) doesn't value it at all as she knows it's always there. She won't need feeding through the night, she's probably just decided it's time to get up and play. Perhaps she's not tired enough when you put her to bed for the night? I found that when my boy was little, if he fell asleep after 6pm, we could NOT let him sleep... otherwise he'd keep us up at night wanting to play... it didn't take him long to work it out, and within a few weeks he was sleeping the whole way through except for the one loo break (which was because my partner would start work at 3, so he was up to let the dog out) and before long he wouldn't even get up when my partner did.

The crying is because she's a baby, and lonely and doesn't want to be left home alone during the day. She will start to settle in a few weeks. As to the night time barking, that's not something i've experienced. My boy would cry, but we'd just ignore him. He'd get one loo break in the middle of the night, and that was it. When we took him out, we didn't speak to him or excite him, just out for toilet, back to bed no other interaction.

8 weeks is not to early for TOT. K9Pro is actually a member here, I'm sure he'd give some advice on it. Have you seen the big TOT thread in training?

Don't feed her weetbix.

Don't leave her food all day.

What did the breeder feed her? Were you given a care sheet with feeding on it?

Rozzie thanks for your reply, Is there are reason not to feed her wheetbix, and what would you suggest at breakfast time instead? are we better off must giving her vegies meat and rice 3 times a day?

Also with the puppy milk we thought it would be good seeing as the pups were still feeding from their mum when we brought her, and this seems to calm her when she's a bit upset.

The breeder only told us that she was feeding them a mixture of vegies and rice and stuff, I forgot to ask what she said for brekky and no we didnt get a care sheet on what to feed her.

Ok...

perhaps you should have done all the research before you bought a pup- but it's good to see you looking to do things right :rofl:

Any reason why you are not letting your pup be with you in the living areas? is it because you think she will not behave ,will jump on furniture,or perhaps be 'dirty'? If it is- then I will let you into a secret ...... these things are totally in your control :cry:

if not- if for allergy reasons or something.. then that's fine.

Here is some reading for you ...lots of hints,and explanations of behaviour,etc.

CLICK here

CLICK here

and

CLICK here

Hi Kate39,

I'm always attracted to posts from people who have just purchased a staffy pup, oh the joys and crazy moments owning a stafford!

There are lots of breeders in this forum that will be able to give you some excellent advice. I'm not one of them but can tell you about the experiences I have had with my 2. Indy is almost 4 years and Buster is coming up to 10 months. They are like chalk and cheese in many aspects so have gone about things differently to suit their personalities.

Personally I think 8 weeks is too young to leave a puppy outside while you are out. That opinion is just from my experience. Even though your yard may be secure I think there are always hazards for a young puppy around unless you have an enclosure of some sort. As to when to leave Laycie outside by herself???? I'm not sure, I guess it depends on the dog.

Indy was always independent and loved exploring the garden by herself but Buster has always been a "mummys boy" following me around the house and will always be in the same room as me. Time outside together with Laycie will probably make her feel more relaxed and confident in the garden.

I don't think grazing on food all day is a good way to go. Others may think otherwise. I prefer 3 meals a day for the pup and wouldn't feed through the night. This might get her into bad habits and lead her to continue waking through the night. If my dogs haven't eaten all the food at the one feeding then I take it away. Saying that, Buster has never refused a meal and inhales his. Indy however ate slowly as a pup and would walk away when she had eaten enough.

Crying is something we experienced with both but I must admit that as crazy as Indy was as a puppy, she was excellent at night times and only cried for a few weeks after we got her. Buster just couldn't stand being alone at night and we were bad parents and brought him into the bed on a few occasions! Once he was big enough we were able to crate him properly and he used to sleep with Indy for comfort. Crying at night can be a long hard process but perseverance is the key as I'm sure most people will tell you.

As I said, I'm not a breeder and my thoughts are just from my experience with my 2 lovely dogs. Welcome to the world of staffy ownership and I hope you'll love it as much as I do.

Hey 2 staffys thank you for your reply. I am going to stop leaving her food out all day, we were just so lost with what to feed her/what she'd eat/ ect when we first bought her home any time she'd eat was a bit of a relief because she wasnt eating much. She's getting alot better now and I'm sure she'll learn that eating time is eating time and then it's gone. She's waking in the night and i think it's just because she's lonley and wants to play, but i spose the more we ignore her the less she will cry. I think your right with her following us outside and giving hermore confidence venturing out by her self. Thank you for your warm welcome :rofl:

I wouldn't leave her the food to graze all day. When my boy was little he got 10 minutes to eat then it was gone. Now hes older, he knows to eat it when he's given or he doesn't get anything else. He values his food, whereas my aunts dog who grazes all day (and is very fat) doesn't value it at all as she knows it's always there. She won't need feeding through the night, she's probably just decided it's time to get up and play. Perhaps she's not tired enough when you put her to bed for the night? I found that when my boy was little, if he fell asleep after 6pm, we could NOT let him sleep... otherwise he'd keep us up at night wanting to play... it didn't take him long to work it out, and within a few weeks he was sleeping the whole way through except for the one loo break (which was because my partner would start work at 3, so he was up to let the dog out) and before long he wouldn't even get up when my partner did.

The crying is because she's a baby, and lonely and doesn't want to be left home alone during the day. She will start to settle in a few weeks. As to the night time barking, that's not something i've experienced. My boy would cry, but we'd just ignore him. He'd get one loo break in the middle of the night, and that was it. When we took him out, we didn't speak to him or excite him, just out for toilet, back to bed no other interaction.

8 weeks is not to early for TOT. K9Pro is actually a member here, I'm sure he'd give some advice on it. Have you seen the big TOT thread in training?

[/T

Thanks for your reply bundy's Mum, Do you think 10 mins is long enough to leave the food out? because yeh we just had a bit of trouble getting her to eat anything at all when we first bought her home that is why we kinda left it there for her to pick at. But now she's settled in a bit more I'm wanting to do 3 feeds a day. I did see the TOT threat thanks, it seems very useful. I'm hoping that feeding her 3 times a day and not letting her graze will increase her interest in food making the TOT training alot easier. :rofl:

Is there are reason not to feed her wheetbix, and what would you suggest at breakfast time instead? are we better off must giving her vegies meat and rice 3 times a day?

Dogs need good quality meat - they do not really need much grain- and do not digest it well... Have a think about it - what do the dog's wild relatives eat? Mother wild dogs do not bring mouthfuls of wheat/oats back to the den for their babies - they bring whole small animals, or pieces of meat/bone/skin :rofl:

Most ordinary processed dog food has some grains in- but ,with research, you can find the ones which are the best utilised by your dog.

Weetbix is purely a 'filler'..

edit to add- so this pup was still drinking from teh mother when you bought it? The breeder then did not wean the pups before sale .. and see that they were happily eating independently ? Makes more work for you-- as you have discovered- puppy doesn't really know what food IS .

Edited by persephone

10 minutes is fine I think, but everyone is different. The dog soon learns to eat when it's given food. I found with my pup though, that he often wouldn't eat lunch when I gave it to him, so it only took a few weeks to go back to 2 meals. Some people disagree with this, but I let him guide me as to when he's hungry.

For brekkie you could give her a chicken wing or neck perhaps? Is the meat you are feeding raw or cooked? Raw is better for them :rofl: Although, it sounds like your pup wasn't weaned, and thats something I don't have experience with, as my pup was already on solid food when he came home.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

an 8 week old pure bred english staffy,

You'll get on better on this forum if you drop the english :eek: - the breeds are Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Stafford, SBT, Staffie/Staffy if you really have to) and American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff) Using ''english staffie'' is a hallmark of a BYB, which is not your fault but now you know better :cry:

We went her to be an outside dog

Staffords are really bad at being outside dogs, shame you didn't do some research before you committed to a breed which desperately needs the close companionship of it's people.

Unless you are really dedicated to several hours of exercise and training every single day of the year, an adult Stafford kept outside will generally speaking destroy your yard, eat the cladding off the house or jump the fence to go find somewhere better to live. A Stafford puppy raised outside will almost certainly grow in to an over excited jumping lunatic.

WHY do you want her to be an outside dog? Is there a reason you can't crate train her for now and when she's older allow her access to the house where YOU are (afterall, realistically how much time do you spend in the laundry - maybe a fair bit as you have a baby :rofl: ) with rules about no dog on the furniture, no dog in the kitchen, whatever rules you want (all these rules are perfectly achievable)

2. Feeding- so we kinda have just been leaving food for her to graze on all day, but after reading a bit I'm thinking this isnt really a good idea unless we're leaving her for over a feeding time kinda thing? I've been reading about that TOT training thing, and this dog doesnt seem to have much of a love for food (probs because it's there all the time) So if we just kinda put breakfast out for her, give her how long to eat it before we pack it away? and then the same with lunch and dinner? Also anything good in particular to be feeding a puppy? for dinner we've been doing vegies, rice, meat with like a gravy and similar for lunch, and for breakfast I've been doing wheetbix with puppy milk? any critism here would be greatly appreciated also.

What was on the diet sheet the breeder gave you? Feed her what she is used to for AT LEAST 10 days after you have her home. She doesn't need sloppy gravy and weetbix - give her either a high quality dry food OR a mixture of dry food and raw MEATY bones OR investigate the raw food diet (takes time, don't recommend you start it yet). She doesn't need anything soaked or mushed up for her - she has efficient teeth and will love to chew!

My puppies at this age get the following:

From 8 to 10 weeks:

Morning mid day and evening – Choose from (and rotate during the week)

A big chicken wing (or 2 small ones)

3-4 chicken necks & a small handful of meat

1 small chicken drumstick or thigh

A meaty lamb rib (the sort sold as lamb spare ribs in the supermarket)

Any other meaty bone - brisket bone cut to an appropriate size for example or pork bones with plenty of meat. NOT bacon/ham bones (too much salt/chemicals)

Once or twice a week - ½ a sheep’s heart

Once a week a piece of sheep or beef liver about ½ the size of a sheep’s heart

A chicken carcase (as sold for soup in the supermarket)

Once or twice a week give him a slice of plain cheese in addition to whatever else you have chosen.

Give pup a large biscuit if you haven’t given him a bone.

Late evening – either about ½ a cup of milk with a small amount of canned food, dinner left-overs, mince meat etc OR a small slice of cheese. Milk might make a midnight puddle a problem, the meal here depends on personal preference.

I don't necessarily recommend this to you personally but just giving you an example of the lack of sloppy stuff an 8 week old SBT needs.

4. Crying- she cries a fair bit, (which I think comes with this breed)

Can't agree about it being a breed thing - she is a tiny little baby which has been separated from her siblings and locked up in solitary confinement. Not that surprised she's not happy. Does she have a snuggly toy in her bed - this would be the very least you could do to try and make up for the loss of her siblings.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is a tiny little baby you have taken on - think back to when you brought YOUR baby home - how much gentle love and attention and constant supervision did the baby need to grow into a happy secure little person?

for dinner we've been doing vegies, rice, meat with like a gravy and similar for lunch, and for breakfast I've been doing wheetbix with puppy milk? any critism here would be greatly appreciated also.

If this is all she's getting the diet is both deficient in calcium and has doesn't have a good calcium/phosphorus balance. This isn't a great start for a growing pup.

I would highly recommend you start feeding the best quality puppy kibble you can afford and supplement this with raw meat on the bone. Chicken wings would be ideal.

I'll confess I find it somewhat troubling that you got a pup that wasn't fully weaned. How old is the pup now?

..also- what vaccinations has your puppy had ?Did the breeder advise you on a vaccination schedule..and how to avoid your puppy picking up possibly fatal diseases while vulnerable?

One thing I will suggest is that you take her to your selected vet ASAP and get her thoroughly checked/have any vacc's done if needed, and , if the breeder has not done so- get some worming tablets into her ,and make sure her eyes/mouth/feet are all normal for her age/breed.

Also with the puppy milk we thought it would be good seeing as the pups were still feeding from their mum when we brought her, and this seems to calm her when she's a bit upset.

The breeder only told us that she was feeding them a mixture of vegies and rice and stuff, I forgot to ask what she said for brekky and no we didnt get a care sheet on what to feed her.

I just find this so very very sad. Badly raised puppy sold to an unprepared person with no help or advice given.

Kate - good on you for trying to find the information you need, sounds like you want to be the best dog owner you can be despite starting in the wrong place! Wish more people cared enough to go looking for help :rofl:

Badly raised puppy sold to an unprepared person with no help or advice given.

Kate - good on you for trying to find the information you need, sounds like you want to be the best dog owner you can be despite starting in the wrong place! Wish more people cared enough to go looking for help

AGREED!! Laycie is now with someone who cares :rofl:

an 8 week old pure bred english staffy,

You'll get on better on this forum if you drop the english :eek: - the breeds are Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Stafford, SBT, Staffie/Staffy if you really have to) and American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff) Using ''english staffie'' is a hallmark of a BYB, which is not your fault but now you know better :cry:

We went her to be an outside dog

Staffords are really bad at being outside dogs, shame you didn't do some research before you committed to a breed which desperately needs the close companionship of it's people.

Unless you are really dedicated to several hours of exercise and training every single day of the year, an adult Stafford kept outside will generally speaking destroy your yard, eat the cladding off the house or jump the fence to go find somewhere better to live. A Stafford puppy raised outside will almost certainly grow in to an over excited jumping lunatic.

WHY do you want her to be an outside dog? Is there a reason you can't crate train her for now and when she's older allow her access to the house where YOU are (afterall, realistically how much time do you spend in the laundry - maybe a fair bit as you have a baby :rofl: ) with rules about no dog on the furniture, no dog in the kitchen, whatever rules you want (all these rules are perfectly achievable)

What was on the diet sheet the breeder gave you? Feed her what she is used to for AT LEAST 10 days after you have her home. She doesn't need sloppy gravy and weetbix - give her either a high quality dry food OR a mixture of dry food and raw MEATY bones OR investigate the raw food diet (takes time, don't recommend you start it yet). She doesn't need anything soaked or mushed up for her - she has efficient teeth and will love to chew!

My puppies at this age get the following:

From 8 to 10 weeks:

Morning mid day and evening – Choose from (and rotate during the week)

A big chicken wing (or 2 small ones)

3-4 chicken necks & a small handful of meat

1 small chicken drumstick or thigh

A meaty lamb rib (the sort sold as lamb spare ribs in the supermarket)

Any other meaty bone - brisket bone cut to an appropriate size for example or pork bones with plenty of meat. NOT bacon/ham bones (too much salt/chemicals)

Once or twice a week - ½ a sheep’s heart

Once a week a piece of sheep or beef liver about ½ the size of a sheep’s heart

A chicken carcase (as sold for soup in the supermarket)

Once or twice a week give him a slice of plain cheese in addition to whatever else you have chosen.

Give pup a large biscuit if you haven’t given him a bone.

Late evening – either about ½ a cup of milk with a small amount of canned food, dinner left-overs, mince meat etc OR a small slice of cheese. Milk might make a midnight puddle a problem, the meal here depends on personal preference.

I don't necessarily recommend this to you personally but just giving you an example of the lack of sloppy stuff an 8 week old SBT needs.

4. Crying- she cries a fair bit, (which I think comes with this breed)

Can't agree about it being a breed thing - she is a tiny little baby which has been separated from her siblings and locked up in solitary confinement. Not that surprised she's not happy. Does she have a snuggly toy in her bed - this would be the very least you could do to try and make up for the loss of her siblings.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is a tiny little baby you have taken on - think back to when you brought YOUR baby home - how much gentle love and attention and constant supervision did the baby need to grow into a happy secure little person?

this is such a great post, you have gone to so much trouble and I really really hope the OP takes all this on board including letting the puppy actually be part of the family

I agree great post Sandra777 and one thing that really stuck out was Staffords are not outside dogs. Our two are always by our side and would much rather be cosy on the couch next to us. They sit at the sliding door looking in crying once they've been out to go to the toilet :rofl:

I agree great post Sandra777 and one thing that really stuck out was Staffords are not outside dogs. Our two are always by our side and would much rather be cosy on the couch next to us. They sit at the sliding door looking in crying once they've been out to go to the toilet :laugh:

Not stafford, but yup my dog is the same... he was outside for a whole 10 minutes longer than normal yesterday, and you'd think I'd murdered him from the noise he was making :thumbsup:

Just adding this bit in because I didn't know this myself until recently .....

A good quality kibble isn't usually found in a supermarket .... go to City Farmers, Better Pets n Gardens, Pet Stock, pet shop or vet. Ask for advice (I have been to about 6 different places and got advice for when I bring my pup home next week) You will pay more upfront but you will use less so it actually works out cheaper/the same in the long run and your pets will be better for it.

I changed my cats kibble 4-odd months ago and the change in them has been remarkable and exactly what I wanted from their kibble (no hair balls, no crying hungry all the time, better coat quality to name a few). I stupidly thought I was feeding good stuff because a certain TV vet endorsed the product I was using. They're now fed a 1/4 cup each of kibble in the morning and 100gm of other food in the evening (mince meat, chicken wing or neck, scrambled eggs, tuna, etc).

Also, when my pups were crying little babies, they slept in a box beside my bed for the first few weeks and when they woke, I'd take them out to toilet but if they whimpered or cried in the night in between toilet breaks, I would just give them a pat and reassure them that I was there and they quickly settled back down and were sleeping through the night in no time and were then able to be "allowed" out of the box and choose where they slept. They grew to be well adjusted happy dogs.