Lots Of Puppy Questions

Kate39

Thanks for the links, We just dont want the dog to dominate the living area as our little daughter (18 months) mainly plays in these area's. We are happy to let the dog in here and there, but she needs to have her space away from our toddler and vice versa. This morning my daughter was playing in her room with her dolls when the puppy came along and was tugging at the blanket she was wrapping her baby in. Indy (my daughter) started screaming and yelling and ended up in tears because of it. I know this is just something she'll have to get used to. I spose it's just more a behavioural thing we'll have to deal with, making sure she doesnt chew bubs toys and only chews her own (but they can be easilly confused as baby toys and dog toys are quiet simlar) I'll read a bit more of those links you sent me, they seem relaly helpful, perhaps we can find the right balance of inside outside for out dog :wave: o and as for the research before we got our puppy, we did alot of research but it was more on what breed we wanted and I suppose you dont' really think of these problems that will arise until they actually arise. Glad I found thsi forum you all seem very helpful :love:

That's what a crate is for :love: Dogs/puppies and kids should NEVER be left together unsupervised - puppy is either in her crate or you are watching her 100% of the time.

As far as diet - A good premium quality dry food (eg, Artemis, Nutrience, Nutro, Royal Canin, etc.) is the way to go. Rice/veg/weetbix is not going to meet the nutritional needs of a growing puppy. Raw/BARF is great but you really need to know what you're doing first so if that is the way you wish to go then research first and perhaps wait until your dog is a little older (plenty more on that in the health forum).

I don't see anything wrong with giving a little milk, though I prefer goats milk over puppy milk. Just don't make it the main part of the dogs diet.

Don't leave food down all day, leads to fat dogs and fussy eaters. Have your dog work for her food - yep, every single meal/treat/snack. You can do this through TOT (8 week old pup is not too young), feeding a ration of the pups daily food through other basic training, and also through feeding the pup through Kongs/biscuit balls etc (tires them out). Whatever is not eaten in the after 15 mins take it away. Pup will soon learn - eat or miss out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one thing to watch for with high quality dry puppy food - the bones can sometimes grow faster than the soft tissue causing nutrition related problems - easy to detect and easy to correct if you get it early enough. Lift the pup off the ground and face into a mirror - note how the legs fall and where the feet are placed - place the pup on a flat surface and look again at the legs and feet. If they bow or toe in or out change the pup to a quality adult food to slow the bone growth to match the soft tissue growth. That comes from Pat Hastings from "Puppy Puzzle".

Only one thing to watch for with high quality dry puppy food - the bones can sometimes grow faster than the soft tissue causing nutrition related problems - easy to detect and easy to correct if you get it early enough. Lift the pup off the ground and face into a mirror - note how the legs fall and where the feet are placed - place the pup on a flat surface and look again at the legs and feet. If they bow or toe in or out change the pup to a quality adult food to slow the bone growth to match the soft tissue growth. That comes from Pat Hastings from "Puppy Puzzle".

That's really interesting and makes a lot of sense. My friend has a terrier puppy 2 months younger than mine and he has terrible bowed legs, I thought it was maybe something to do his with lines (might still be), but what you suggest here makes sense as he has only ever been fed kibble or bones, very interesting.

That's really interesting and makes a lot of sense. My friend has a terrier puppy 2 months younger than mine and he has terrible bowed legs, I thought it was maybe something to do his with lines (might still be), but what you suggest here makes sense as he has only ever been fed kibble or bones, very interesting.

Could be structural, could be growth plate damange also.. the number of bow legged, east west fronted little BYB terriers about is legion.

We continued feeding Blitz the same kibble (dry food) that the breeder was feeding (Science diet) although we have slowly began titrating him onto Supercoat over the last few days as its much easier to get, not to mention cheaper.

We did give him 2 teaspoons of puppy food from a can, but he had messy poos, so we gave up on that idea. Blitz had 2 chicken necks after his breakfast today, little piglet, but he thoroughly enjoyed them.

Supercoat may be cheaper, but you feed more and the quality is nowhere near as good as premium foods.

Blitz also requires another vaccine as his breeder seemt to have missed one... Grrr. He will be getting microchipped at his final vaccine too.

If he is only 10 weeks old, then the breeder has not 'missed' a vaccination.

i wont add to what has already been posted as you have been given so much great information to digest. However I would recommend crate training. Especially as you say you would like both your pup and your daughter to have thier own space.

There are several good threads on here about crate training.

We continued feeding Blitz the same kibble (dry food) that the breeder was feeding (Science diet) although we have slowly began titrating him onto Supercoat over the last few days as its much easier to get, not to mention cheaper.

We did give him 2 teaspoons of puppy food from a can, but he had messy poos, so we gave up on that idea. Blitz had 2 chicken necks after his breakfast today, little piglet, but he thoroughly enjoyed them.

Supercoat may be cheaper, but you feed more and the quality is nowhere near as good as premium foods.

I dont understand this. Both recommend 150gm for his age/weight/dog size when grown up. Initially, we actually want to get him onto 'Bonnie' as that is what my OH family have for all their dogs, and highly recommend. However, my partner bought the wrong bag and brought home 1.5kg of Supercoat, so we will persist with that for now.

Blitz also requires another vaccine as his breeder seemt to have missed one... Grrr. He will be getting microchipped at his final vaccine too.

When we enquired about him, he was 7 weeks old, and hadnt had any vaccines makes me think he missed his 6 week vaccine. As that is what the several vets I have spoken to have informed me. Not a prob now, as he is happy, healthy, and seeing the vet when he should be for vaccines.

Nothing wrong with supercoat, all my dogs are doing wonderfully on it.

Oh my goodness MissCheevius, your puppy is so incredibly cute.

I took so many photos of Buster when he was little as he was a tiny pup (not much more than 2kg) and I still feel like I don't have enough to look back on. He was 16kg last time at the vet and I miss those tiny days.

Kate39 I am looking forward to seeing some pics of your puppy, maybe it will satisfy my need for puppy pics!

Oh my goodness MissCheevius, your puppy is so incredibly cute.

I took so many photos of Buster when he was little as he was a tiny pup (not much more than 2kg) and I still feel like I don't have enough to look back on. He was 16kg last time at the vet and I miss those tiny days.

Kate39 I am looking forward to seeing some pics of your puppy, maybe it will satisfy my need for puppy pics!

Aww Thanks 2staffys. How long does it take to fully grow? I woke up this morning and told my partner how much bigger he got overnight! I got a very funny look given to me, haha.

I love taking photos, but only 1 in 100 is worth showing anyone else!

How old are your pups now?

Have a great day!

How can I make my pics small enough to upload on here, it just says there too big, I downloaded a photo converter, but it doesnt seem to make them smaller just change them to pdf and stuff like that :confused:

Once you have resized your pic- and are replying.. click on 'choose image' to find your picture on your computer. Once you've done that .. double click on it.. then on UPLOAD . Once uploaded- just click on the green +sign over in the 'manage current attachments box ..and it will be inserted in your post.