Showering With Your Dog

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the days when we all used to use a FLEA WASH when we bathed our dogs I remember a client of our vet hospital ringing and telling us that he had just had a shower with his dog and had use a flea rinse on the dog and would the flea rinse give him the shakes. YES we informed him GET to the doctor right away ~~~~ he was quite sick.

I have wanted my 2 staffies to get in the shower so I could wash them but they refuse.

Can I ask everyone, does your dog just walk in or do you have to drag them or pick them up and put them in?

I have tried coaxing mine in but since they hate baths so much they turn around and run. I'm a bit scared that if I pick them up and take them in and close the door, they might go crazy and try and run around and end up hurting themselves. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and try, they're getting too heavy for me to lift into the bath.

Used to wash my last dog in the shower.

I've tried with my current dog too, but sadly my girl doesn't like it any better than she likes having a bath any other way. She really, really, really hates it! I can't be arsed arguing about it - she's a wash & wear dog so stays pretty sweet smelling just with regular brushing - hence she's had a total of two baths in her entire life. :shrug:

I don't shower WITH my dogs, but for the first time I took them into the shower to wash them (after the beach so had my swimmers on). Found the process so much easier - could use warm water, no bees hanging around :D, and it contained one of my dogs who hates a bath and tries to run away :shrug: I have one of those shower heads though that are attached by a rope thingy so I can take it off the hook and use it that way, soooooo much easier!

I found the after process more of a pain, though. Dog hair all over the bathroom (Labs x 2!) but I waited 20 minutes for it to dry then took the vacuum into the bathroom and all clean! Biggest plus is I could lock the dogs in there to dry them instead of having them run around the yard, rolling on the grass and in the dirt to get dry!

Oh and I only bathed them one at a time!

My mum always used to advise me against it because she didn't want the drains clogging up with hair, but I haven't had that problem!

I try to catch as much hair as I can before it goes down the drain (and with Labs, there's heaps!!) but some always goes down there. Not good for my old drain, gets clogged easy :shrug: I need to find a way to get the grate off so I can pull out all the crap that's down there - mainly my hair :D

My mum always used to advise me against it because she didn't want the drains clogging up with hair, but I haven't had that problem!

Oh important point! I have to use Draino semi-regularly to keep ours running freely. My hair + dog fur must be too much.

Ooh thanks for the tip! I'm still clueless with all these cleaning products, I've had my mum to worry about all that, but I finally moved out of home and have to think of these things myself now :shrug:

Can I ask everyone, does your dog just walk in or do you have to drag them or pick them up and put them in?

One I invite in and she happily obliges. The other puts the brakes on so she gets carried in against her will - tough biccies :shrug:

Oh important point! I have to use Draino semi-regularly to keep ours running freely. My hair + dog fur must be too much.

Ooh thanks for the tip! I'm still clueless with all these cleaning products, I've had my mum to worry about all that, but I finally moved out of home and have to think of these things myself now :cry:

I had no idea what to do when I first moved out and my shower stopped draining! That was pre-dog so can't blame anything but my own hair. Be very careful using it though - I lock Billie outside so she can't possibly get in the bathroom until I am done. It's nasty stuff (which is why it is so good for clearing drains) and I hate to think what it could do to a curious doglet. Store it securely away from paws/little fingers when not in use.

Billie used to try and get in the shower when we were washing. Now that I've started washing her in there, she won't go in the shower recess voluntarily if the bathroom door is closed. She's small enough for me to carry in if necessary.

Edited by Sydoo