Showing Neuter With Worn Down Teeth

Merrirose

Anyone know how you would go showing an open neuter who has worn down all their front teeth between their canines? You can still see the tooth base in the gum. I know with horses they dont check teeth in the "neuter" classes as they are not breeding animals therefore it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

Just because they are neutered doesn't mean the standard is lowered.

However, as quite a few neuters would be older dogs, I would assume that age, and wear and tear, is taken into consideration.

Thats correct rebanne, even though Wil has lost her teeth you can see that she has the correct bite. :laugh:

I know I seem to stir the pot here but neuter doesn't necessarily mean decrepit and old, if the standard calls for full dentition I would still expect to see full dentition. Worn down teeth are ok providing they aren't so worn down you can no longer tell the dogs bite.

If your dog is missing teeth due to age, enter it in veterans not neuter.

However, as quite a few neuters would be older dogs, I would assume that age, and wear and tear, is taken into consideration.

Not necessarily true that alot of Neuters are old. My boy is only 20 months old and had to be desexed at the age of 12 months old due to only one testi dropping :cry: :cry: I have been showing him in the neuter class since July last year and has done reasonably well with numerous Neuter in groups and is almost at his neuter title. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: However in saying that I have had numerous judges not ask to see their bite and not even wanting to know his age :confused: So therefore it would really confirm that the standard is lowered compared to an entire dog. I have never had a judge not ask for the bite and age of my entire boy!!!!

Edited by liamber

Liamber brings a good point, I actually haven't had many judges ask the age of my boy either.

I'm sure though they can tell he's ageing a little bit due to the greying around the face.

He turned 7 in November last year.

Well Paptacular you couldn't tell your boy is 7 years old!!! And he has beaten my boy on a few occasions for neuter in group, so well done :rofl: :rofl:

Liamber brings a good point, I actually haven't had many judges ask the age of my boy either.

I'm sure though they can tell he's ageing a little bit due to the greying around the face.

He turned 7 in November last year.

Well Paptacular you couldn't tell your boy is 7 years old!!! And he has beaten my boy on a few occasions for neuter in group, so well done :rofl: :rofl:

Well he does still have the brain of a pup I reckon! ;) ;)

Anyone know how you would go showing an open neuter who has worn down all their front teeth between their canines? You can still see the tooth base in the gum. I know with horses they dont check teeth in the "neuter" classes as they are not breeding animals therefore it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

umm as a horse judge, well i certainly does matter if a horse has a bad mouth & yes i do check every mouth wether it be a gelding, mare or stallion. i dont know where you got your information from but you need to go to a real horse show.

I show at National level and I havn't seen an Australian or overseas judge check a geldings teeth. Im curious as to what you would consider a real show? Amused at the condescending tone of your post or am I reading too much into it?

Edited by KC Blue

Thanks in advance.

umm as a horse judge, well i certainly does matter if a horse has a bad mouth & yes i do check every mouth wether it be a gelding, mare or stallion. i dont know where you got your information from but you need to go to a real horse show.

Also from a horse breed judge perspective, I always check teeth on led exhibits, be it Stallion, Mare or Gelding, Perhaps saddle judges dont as it is performance based placing.

Not necessarily true that alot of Neuters are old. My boy is only 20 months old and had to be desexed at the age of 12 months old due to only one testi dropping :D :D I have been showing him in the neuter class since July last year and has done reasonably well with numerous Neuter in groups and is almost at his neuter title. :crossfingers::thumbsup: However in saying that I have had numerous judges not ask to see their bite and not even wanting to know his age :thumbsup: So therefore it would really confirm that the standard is lowered compared to an entire dog. I have never had a judge not ask for the bite and age of my entire boy!!!!

Not the case here...

My neuter boy is treated exactly the same as the entire dogs. Teeth checked, age asked, 'bits fondled' (usually with a joke about "oh good, they're not there" :D ) He is 2.5 years old.

Isnt that interesting. I went back to our breed rule book which says in regards to Halter classes "All mares and stallions shall be

examined for parrot mouth." hence geldings are not. We dont check any teeth in ridden classes either. Also have never had teeth checked at an Ag show in our breed classes either.

Isnt that interesting. I went back to our breed rule book which says in regards to Halter classes "All mares and stallions shall be

examined for parrot mouth." hence geldings are not. We dont check any teeth in ridden classes either. Also have never had teeth checked at an Ag show in our breed classes either.

Geldings have and will always be an important representative of breeds, as many people dont or cant manage a Stallion or a Mare, for obvious reasons the geldings should be assessed in the same way as an entire male or female.

If judges are not doing this they just dont get the importance of type and conformation, and the roll of Geldings in the horse world.

I always check mouths, and all my friends who judge always check mouths, in led breed classes and open led, we are supposed to be looking for the best be it Mare, Stallion and Gelding. And yes I had a Gelding that went BIS over Stallions and Mares at a Breed feature show.

Geldings have and will always be an important representative of breeds, as many people dont or cant manage a Stallion or a Mare, for obvious reasons the geldings should be assessed in the same way as an entire male or female.

If judges are not doing this they just dont get the importance of type and conformation, and the roll of Geldings in the horse world.

I always check mouths, and all my friends who judge always check mouths, in led breed classes and open led, we are supposed to be looking for the best be it Mare, Stallion and Gelding. And yes I had a Gelding that went BIS over Stallions and Mares at a Breed feature show.

I think it is a shame that at some breed/ag shows the gelding is not eligible for supreme of show because they are not breeding stock therefore should take the title off the breeders. Congrats on your BIS! Quite interesting what the other breeds/judges do. Enjoy hearing different POV's.

I think this would also be the case in Veteran Entire class too.