Dog Boot Recommentations Please

Hi all. Recently during walks, Casper has started dragging his back legs when he is tired. Amazingly he tires sooner during a walk than during a run :heart: . The middle two claws in both back paws are being worn down to stubs and yesterday for the first time his one claw started to bleed.

Now, my boy loves to go for a run and I don't want to stop him so I thought of getting him booties for his back paws. Can anyone recommend any good ones, perhaps with a re-inforced toe? I know he'll hate me for this but a mom has to do what a mom has to do!

Thanks in advance.

White Shepherd Mum, I guess you have already considered this, and discounted - but just in case. Take into consideration Casper's age, condition, health, and musculature, and using all these factors, see if they are the reason he is dragging his back feet? Maybe changing some of the aforementioned things has not worked, but I'd really check them out before I purchased boots, in case something was going on. Maybe it is something as simple as not walking him as far each time? Of course, I don't know, just a suggestion.

All the best.

Thank you for the suggestions, Jed. I spoke to my vet about it last time I took Bella for her check-up and he seems to think that considering his age and breed, there might be some degeneration in the spine. He suggested we continue to exercise him and keep an eye on things.

Now, I started taking him for walks instead of runs and he really battled to keep up, dragging his feet within 100 metres. When running, he has an easy gait that carries him a long way before he gets tired. It's really bizzare! Also, now that we are running again, I can already see extra muscle develop in his back legs. Where possible I try to keep him off the asphalt but that can't always be helped so I want to give him some extra protection.

Ruff Wear do a good selection of boots. I have purchased the 'Bark'n Boots™ Grip Trex' and they were very well made and tough (so long as they don't rip them off and chew them :thumbsup: )

http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_boots

Thank you for the info CC and CW. I read the customer reviews and there are some happy customers! However there are also a few comments that the boots don't stay on some dogs. Have you had a problem? I need to look into this company's refund policy.

I did have trouble keeping them on, they were fine around the house, but would come off outdoors if she ran. Daisy took the smallest size, and there isn't much difference between her foot and ankle width :love: I used baby socks too as she needed the ankle strap done up quite firmly.

I think with a larger dog they would work quite well.

IMG_4125.jpg

oh, I just read a review for the Ruff Terrain Grip-Trex boots from a customer whose GSD drags his back foot until the claw bleeds and he said the shoes lasted 3 days before they had a hole in them. I obviously need to find something a bit more re-inforced in the toe area.

Any other suggestion will be gratefully received!

We bought a set of the Muttluks for my girl as one of her back legs only has the middle two toes due to an accident and she tends to drag it from time to time.

They were fine when walking but when she ran they flicked off. I would assume anything made of material is going to wear pretty quickly so you would need to look into a leather patch on the toes.

What size dog are the boots for? We had to buy a set of four and dont use them now as she has a theauraputic boot which stays on better and we only had to buy one. Happy to send you a pair in the post if you want to try and if they dont fit just post back.

I recently got a carpal wrap for one of my dogs through a Physio here in Melbourne. Very well made.

It was from here:

Therapaw Boots

These look even better actually:

Neopaws Boots

You need something with a sole, but not so high that it changes his posture dramatically...that's my novice thoughts about it not an expert opinion by any stretch. :thumbsup:

I've used a muttluk boot and it just couldn't go the distance on hard surfaces...

I have used these as well. I also use baby socks in them.

Thanks smooch. Do you have to use the baby socks? Will they stay on without?

They will stay on without, I just found they stayed cleaner inside with the socks on.

What size dog are the boots for? We had to buy a set of four and dont use them now as she has a theauraputic boot which stays on better and we only had to buy one. Happy to send you a pair in the post if you want to try and if they dont fit just post back.

Thank you for your kind offer daisygirl. From the customer reviews it looks like these boots are to protect paws from cold and sharp objects. I'm not sure they'll handle a 37kg GSD running with them before they fall apart.

Staff 'n Toller, do the Therapaw boots work well? Does it protect your dogs feet? The thing I need most, is tough reinforcement in the toe area.

hey SmoothieGirl, most of the boots on that site are the same as the ones mentioned at the start of the thread. Again, meant for protection from cold but not necessarily strong at the toes. Have you tried any of them?

has anyone tried these: http://www.dogbootsactive.com/dogpag/dragpaw.htm

there are quite a few reviews from dog owners whose dogs drag their back legs. I shall have to keep looking.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ruff Wear do a good selection of boots. I have purchased the 'Bark'n Boots™ Grip Trex' and they were very well made and tough (so long as they don't rip them off and chew them ;) )

http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_boots

charlie and em has ruffwear booties too.. they are great!

I have used these as well. I also use baby socks in them.

Yep. Ruffwear has socks that you can buy for the booties.

With socks, the boots stays on better and dogs are happier with it.