What Can You Do With Your Dogs When On Crutches

heroeswit

Well today I stood on a piece of metal that went through my foot now i'm on crutches for at least a week if not longer and I have no idea what I can do with my dogs to tire them out and keep them stimulated and exercised? also it is raining up here.

Any suggestions would be great.

Well today I stood on a piece of metal that went through my foot now i'm on crutches for at least a week if not longer and I have no idea what I can do with my dogs to tire them out and keep them stimulated and exercised? also it is raining up here.

Any suggestions would be great.

Have to agree, it would be a great time for teaching tricks. Also teaching the dog to find things using its nose is a great way to tire them out whenever its too wet outside for exercise or in your case where your not so mobile. Start this by placing a favorite toy or ball in plain view until the dog gets the idea of what you want from them and then gradually start by hiding it just a little eventually reaching the stage where you hide it completly and you will find that your dog is using its nose to search it out. Vary where you hide it and start to vary what you hide. One of the best rainy day games to share with your dog.

Another good trick that would be handy for you at present is to teach the dog to fetch things to you and I don't just mean the ball. Remote, slippers, paper, book, telephone to name just a few possiabilities, even to hand you up the dirty washing or collect up kids toys.

Another vote for tricks. An indoor treat hunt? Hide the treats and let your dog find them. I wish you could teach dogs 'warm' and 'cold'. My girl's nose doesn't seem to work all the time. :thumbsup: Or maybe it does? Maybe I need to do what Ozjen suggests.

Ouch! I hope you get better soon Dwilds.

I often hide some treats/toys in the little one's clam shell. Some nice fun digging through the sand, finished off with some frolicking in the water in the other side of the clam shell.

Maybe do some shaping exercises with your dogs? You wait for them to offer any behaviour and it lets them think for themselves. I know it tires my little one out! Start off by finding a cardboard box and waiting for them to look at the box. Click or verbal marker, then reward. Wait for them to offer the behaviour. Jackpot and make a huge fuss when they get to the next stage.

You break down the behaviours into steps towards the end behaviour you want. So if you want four paws in the box, you could start like this -

Look at box

Touch box with nose/paw

Put one paw in box

Put two paws in box.... build up from there.

Repeat with any other objects and you can teach tricks using this method as well. I have found that using objects helped my dog 'learn' how to offer behaviour though. I was really generous with rewards at first because I didn't want my dog to get too frustrated or stressed whilst learning it was ok to offer behaviour.

Hope you are OK.xxx

I agree with tricks. I was out of action for a fair while when I had a hysterectomy last year and OH works away for several weeks at a time. We (the girls :eek: doggies) played fetch a lot as I had to be careful, I went into the DOL dog tricks special topic and found lots of great ideas there :thumbsup:

We did a lot of 'find' etc.

another thing I did was give them the massive marrow bones you can get at the butchers and they spent a few hours on them (they have these anyway around once a week, but I had tot give them about 3 times a week when I was laid up).

The chewing tired them out and it also releases the 'feel good' enzymes when they chew so they were happy little chappies.

Good luck with it. Sounds painful. Get better soon. xxxxRaining here too! :thumbsup:

For exercise though to tire then out you could just use the old tennis ball and raquet or one of those ball throwers. You can do that sitting down.

If you are able to drive you could take then to a park somewhere.

When I had crutches and plaster that is what I had to do.

The tricks are good for bonding and mind activities though.

Stick them in their crates/rooms with a bone or rawhide, that should occupy them for a while! One of my dogs loves games of 'find it' and the others will happily play fetch. You could take them to an offleash area if they have good recall, you feel confident handling them and it's a quiet area.

My injury was different as it was a knee operation, but I warn you not to go near dog parks or dog club if you don't want to be bumped!! Crutches seem to be a dog magnet.

To be honest mine were just happy that I was home all day rather than at work :D OH took them for a walk each morning, then I did some trick training during the day, but mostly they just watched TV and napped with me :grouphug:

thanks for the replies guys

i'm finding i can throw toys and balls etc all day and she is happy as long as she is near me (she knows something is wrong.... smart dog :rofl: ) i'm teaching her to speak. this should actually be a good time for me with the extra training stuff i want to do with her.