Getting A New Breed

huski

So 'fess up! Who else has been perusing this thread for puppy ideas? :)

P.S. Huski, will write more when I am in front of the computer and keyboard :eek:

*Raises hand* Yep me. Although now I know Pyr Shep's are in the country i would be more than happy to go on a waiting list (after meeting the parents/ see how they go with training etc).

ETA: Aiden that is what i thought. Great for someone who wants to hunt, but probably not for my pet/ performance home :). I will continue to admire from a distance.

Edited by Clover

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots of potential in this one:

If you want to see them at their best there are tons of hunting videos on YouTube featuring Springers, they are brilliant.

LOL Aidan, I found that one on youtube earlier today! He looks AWESOME! I'd love a dog like that - I love his looks, his size, his attitude :) he looks like great fun.

Will definitely be youtube'ing hunting videos!

They are currently sitting at the top of my list. I like little wooden boats, and they would fit quite nicely.

I love the working Springers, they are on my 'one day' list :) Having seen a dozen or more in action at a field trial last year, they really are lovely athletic dogs. There are more around than you think, but most are in hunting homes. My friend has a lovely little girl from the same kennel as TSD's I think, that she's going to do agility and retrieving with. So far, she shows great potential. However, I'm wondering if they're too clingy? Most gundogs may be too clingy for you Huski, definitely people oriented dogs that love being with their owners wherever they are. However, if you're looking at working line gundogs, how about checking out field bred English & Irish Setters. The English Setters I met at field trials last year were within your size requirements, a small amount of coat and have lots of drive. Like field ESS, field Setters are very different to the show llines.

Eta. I would never receommend Vizslas if you don't want clingy, they aren't called velcro dogs for nothing :)

Edited by FHRP

Thanks FHRP. I will definitely have to meet a lot in person before making any decisions. I don't mind people orientated, I just don't want a dog that wants to be all over me all the time - I want a dog that can cope with being on its own and enjoy its own company if it must. I know hounds are typically pack orientated, both Daisy and Micha like to be around us but like their own space too. It would be nice to have a dog that really valued having a pat, Mish does to a certain extent, but he'll happily put himself outside and spend the day on his own when he wants to.

ETA: The thought of a velcro dog makes me feel a bit claustrophobic :) though at the end of the day, it's probably just what I am used to as well. Part of me does like the idea of a more people-focused dog but it's hard to know what you would be happy living with when you are used to independent spitz/hound breeds!

I remember when we bought Daisy home at eight weeks, it wasn't until she was at least 18 months old that she actually wanted to be pat or cuddled. Up until then, she refused to be picked up and never wanted to be pat, she had no interest in having pats at all. I can actually distinctly remember the first night she ever curled up on one of our laps. We just about died from shock, we even had to take a picture because it was so unusual :) On the totally opposite end of the scale I've met dogs who you just need to look at out of the corner of your eye and they just about explode at the thought you might pat them. That seems a bit annoying to me :eek:

Edited by huski

On the totally opposite end of the scale I've met dogs who you just need to look at out of the corner of your eye and they just about explode at the thought you might pat them. That seems a bit annoying to me :shrug:

Although I'm sure you'd regard my dogs as clingy, this does annoy me also, and I do know the type of dog you mean. My needy gundogs are not like this but a few Goldies I know spring to mind acutally :hug:

I'm calling on Mr TSD for a second opinion and he agrees that, whilst Emmy is certainly very (her) people focussed, she's not clingy as such. But I do work on building her confidence and she always looks to me if she is unsure or overwhelmed. I'd have 10 of the little rascals :shrug: She is very sweet and gentle and excellent at picking up cues - plays rough with Ziggy and Dizzy but leaves the Burmese girls alone. She loves food, praise, pats and toys - depends what I'm training and her response. Mr TSD says she makes a lovely pet but only because I train her every day and she has a surprising amount of exercise (voluntarily) for such a young dog. She wants to play with Zig all day so I crate her when we are out and sometimes crate Zig when we are home. She doesn't nap much lol!!!

Funny what we train, though - Zig couldn't give a rats @r$e about me for about 18 months but now he is my shadow.

On the totally opposite end of the scale I've met dogs who you just need to look at out of the corner of your eye and they just about explode at the thought you might pat them. That seems a bit annoying to me :cry:

Although I'm sure you'd regard my dogs as clingy, this does annoy me also, and I do know the type of dog you mean. My needy gundogs are not like this but a few Goldies I know spring to mind acutally :cry:

Glad to know I am sort of making sense :(

My grandma has two small fluffies and they are both super clingy, I am sure a lot of it is how you raise them, but I find I can only spend so much time around them before my head explodes :hug: They constantly want to be on top of you, next to you, near you, as close to you as possible ALL THE TIME. It is probably worsened by the fact they are poorly behaved and annoying in general :shrug:

I'm calling on Mr TSD for a second opinion and he agrees that, whilst Emmy is certainly very (her) people focussed, she's not clingy as such. But I do work on building her confidence and she always looks to me if she is unsure or overwhelmed. I'd have 10 of the little rascals :shrug: She is very sweet and gentle and excellent at picking up cues - plays rough with Ziggy and Dizzy but leaves the Burmese girls alone. She loves food, praise, pats and toys - depends what I'm training and her response. Mr TSD says she makes a lovely pet but only because I train her every day and she has a surprising amount of exercise (voluntarily) for such a young dog. She wants to play with Zig all day so I crate her when we are out and sometimes crate Zig when we are home. She doesn't nap much lol!!!

Funny what we train, though - Zig couldn't give a rats @r$e about me for about 18 months but now he is my shadow.

She sounds lovely TSD. Very different from the beagle in a lot of ways from the sounds of it!

One thing I really like about Daisy is that generally, she is not very soft. I have made SO many mistakes with her but she is very forgiving. She is very stubborn and strong willed. She can withstand a bit of stress and pressure when I push her too far (because I am such a novice handler and am constantly stuffing things up). I think I would find it hard to live with a very soft and sensitive dog which is why I like dogs with confident, outgoing natures. Not sure if ESS are very soft but they do sound like quite outgoing dogs.

Edited by huski

Oh and Em is too busy launching herself off anything and everything to be super clingy :shrug: Seriously scares the heck out of me the way she flies through the air...am thinking of buying her a cape :hug: I watched the YouTube video of the Springer doing agility - not sure if it was the training (???) but Em seems to learn with more self control...I don't know any other way to describe it. You can see her nutting it out, throws herself into it trying to get it right and then doing it right every single time unless you up the criteria too quickly.

ETA: Huski, she is soft but she has real confidence in me and so her character shines through. I try very hard to be consistent and Zig has taught me not to practice on my dog but to nut it out before I start training.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

My grandma has two small fluffies and they are both super clingy, I am sure a lot of it is how you raise them, but I find I can only spend so much time around them before my head explodes :hug: They constantly want to be on top of you, next to you, near you, as close to you as possible ALL THE TIME. It is probably worsened by the fact they are poorly behaved and annoying in general :shrug:

That would drive me insane also. I think if you're at all interested you could look at more of the Gundogs breeds. If raised correctly (for what you want) then they will not be the 'super clingy' that you dislike. My boys like to be with me and I usually have at least one dog in the room I'm in, however if I don't want to pat, cuddle or have them on me, they are fine with it. It's my Whippet that is more clingy when out of the house, most likely sitcking to me on walks which actually annoys me :cry:

The working ESS I have met have all been quite soft dogs. Outgoing and drivey, but soft to train, needing some confidence reinforcement. That's not to say they aren't forgiving, and having read how you train Daisy, I think you would have the right attitude.

Wow, better get on a waiting list now if you want a Pyr Shep, they're going to be popular by the looks :hug:

They will be so popular that soon enough they'll be "common" like Labs, Goldies and Kelpies :(:shrug:

I know huski definitely doesn't want a Lab, but even though they are a common "pet" breed, I do have to say that there really aren't that many Labs competing compared to other breeds!

huski, go another Beagle :cry: They are on my maybe list. They were dog #2 for me after Lab, but now they've been pushed back to #4 or #5 :cry:

Oh, go for an English Setter. I dare ya.

My ES grandpuppy, who is now at the bridge, was the dumbest, laziest dog I have ever met. Totally, totally gorgeous but god he was thick as two planks, Now THAT would be a challenge! And there's a breed you never see at trials.

One day for me! But I would need to learn to be a better trainer, first.

So 'fess up! Who else has been perusing this thread for puppy ideas? :cry:

Nope, I have my future dogs already picked out :cry: It's just a matter of deciding which one comes first :shrug: (Why can't I have them ALL and have them all NOW?! :hug::()

Edited by RubyStar

Nope, I have my future dogs already picked out :( It's just a matter of deciding which one comes first :shrug: (Why can't I have them ALL and have them all NOW?! :hug::()

1. Money

2. Time

3. Space

Just find a sugar daddy and you'll be fine :cry:

Wow, better get on a waiting list now if you want a Pyr Shep, they're going to be popular by the looks :hug:

They will be so popular that soon enough they'll be "common" like Labs, Goldies and Kelpies :cry:

Like what Lappies are becoming :shrug:.

Nope, I have my future dogs already picked out :) It's just a matter of deciding which one comes first :shrug: (Why can't I have them ALL and have them all NOW?! :hug::))

1. Money

2. Time

3. Space

For me it's finding that one breed I want to spend the rest of my life owning! :( Plus the fact it has to be a show dog as well is a bit of a hinderance. :) But I am fairly certain that in a few years when I am ready for the next one I should have the breed totally sussed.... by then :(

Nope, I have my future dogs already picked out :( It's just a matter of deciding which one comes first :shrug: (Why can't I have them ALL and have them all NOW?! :hug::))

1. Money

2. Time

3. Space

Where do I find one? Sugar Daddy's 'R' Us? :(

Nooo! Variety is the spice of life!!!

Agreed! I was purely "Lab only" until I stumbled across all these other breeds out there that I had no idea existed! Now I want to try many! But I will always come back to the Lab. Once I've tried a few and my Labs are no longer with me, I would like to get another :hug: I think even though some try different breeds, there is always one breed our hearts keep coming back to :shrug:

Cant believe noone has suggested a GSP. Huski you've met my girl Coco otherwise known as the Energizer Bunny with ADHD.

The max size is 30kgs or "sibe size" surely a GSP is bigger then this?

My GSP bitch weighs in at 26kg and measures 570mm to the shoulder - yes that is on the smaller side but still within the standard size.