Getting A New Breed

huski

Yep they were recently imported by Belengere in QLD. The first litter is coming up soon.

:) OMG. :)

Pyr's are another breed on my 'must own someday..' list :cry: That list is getting long :eek:

OMG!!!!

I'm sitting here with my family eating dinner. I read that, looked at the site and yelled that they were imported and we were going to have a litter in the country this year.

My sister and I started yelling, my brother looked at us a bit weird and said it almost looked normal until we both fist pumped and yelled "YEAH" at the same time.

MUST meet some now.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dalmation?

ACD

Pointer (you can tell everyone its a Standard Beagle :) )

Are Pointers and Dallies very drivey? I know they are relatively active breeds.

I actually quite like ACDs, but not sure I could own one. Though the well bred ones I love have temperaments that quite appeal to me.

An Aussie?

I like Aussies but they are probably a bit too common for me (kinda like BCs, Goldies, Labs etc).

At the moment a working line ESS is probably appealing to me the most, I've never even considered them, but they seem quite lovely and on paper are ticking all my boxes. I know nothing at all about them though.

Aussies aren't common at all, why would you think that? Whenever I take mine out, no one knows what they are and they certainly aren't in abundance at our dog obedience club. Labs, GSD's, BC,s Goldens and Kelpies are ther ein droves, but there's usually just me and one other person with Aussies and occasionally a local breeder shows up.

At a recent obedience trial I entered, there were only 4 Aussies entered and only 3 competed.

And your state has very few in numbers at shows. compared to here and much fewer breeders.

Musterlander?? :eek:

Quickasyoucan. completely agree with your whole post, said it perfectly!! :):)

HWV are in Qld, two excellent breeders, fantastic dogs. Penny belongs to the breeder of my viz. she is a gem. :cry: I adore her and the others. all incredible temperaments. truly lovely breed. Unique. :D

Just quickly as I'm on my phone...

A working line ESS is so different from the show lines it's like a different breed! They are highly motivated dogs with much less feathering and require very little grooming. I've heard them compared to a Welsh Springer but I think they are lighter and more agile and SO FAST :cry::) They are also smaller than a show line ESS. Can be quite shy with unfamiliar people and dogs - but this is part of their charm as they just block out everything to focus, focus, focus! They are soft dogs to train, compared to other retrieving breeds, but extremely courageous when covering ground. Just bursting to train, which is a shock after a Dally :) It won't be Em's fault if she doesn't find obedience and agility relatively easy but retrieving will be a wonderful challenge for us both. They are not very common so you would need to do your homework pretty early on. Come in liver or black and white.

The Dally is definitely a challenge - Zig is brilliant now although he was very slow to mature. I'd be looking for the rat bag in the litter as long as you know how to harness the "naughty" lol! Don't even bother raising your voice or they will give you the doggy equivalent of the finger. They get bored extremely quickly - don't practice on them! Get it right on your own and then add the dog. They are not an easy dog but really worth the effort when they get it together. And they keep you honest :D

Talk about two diametrically opposed breeds in one house!

ETA: Steve Austin has Em's brother and often gets pups from my breeder. They are incredibly active puppies - my friends who breed working line Labs and GSPs can't get over how full on they are :eek: That said, she is a glorious pet as long as she has lots of mental stimulation and physical activity. Very snuggly and you have to push through the puppy screaming at being left in her crate but at 5 months she is snoring in her crate as I type and has fitted in beautifully. Screamed blue murder when she first saw Zig but now they are the best of friends.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Musterlander?? :)

An absolutely beatiful breed but too big for huski... they commonly weigh over 30kilos and are much taller then any sibe I have seen. :)

are there any small musterlanders in oz? :eek: about 20kg and 22 inches.

spanish water dog? about the same size, I think there is a breeder in NZ.!!!

Edited by Monah

A female Dobe???

A Vizsla - friend had one, loved her to bits. Rather bouncy though!

The right Whippet would be okay - One like Lewis for example, totally ball obssessed, very focused and will train all day every day. However you would need to find the right one, Rommi would not be what you were after.

Lewis is around 14.5kgs and a decent sized dog and 20 and a 1/4 inches tall so I think height wise would be fine

Mine love to be with me all the time though and will follow me to the toilet just to make sure I don't escape. I have encouraged that there are some people who's Whippets check in from time to time but are happy in their own space, so once again temperment and conditioning will impact that behaviour.

My Dobe bitch was 25 inches tall and around 29kgs and would work until she dropped dead as well. She loved agility and obedience and was very drivey and would have been a dream to train in drive I think, I clicker trained and she loved that and did well despite her novice handler.

Edited by OSoSwift

Musterlander?? :)

An absolutely beatiful breed but too big for huski... they commonly weigh over 30kilos and are much taller then any sibe I have seen. :eek:

are there any small musterlanders in oz? :D about 20kg and 22 inches.

Not yet :cry: Hopefully one day :)

I must say to me Pyrenean Shepards look just like a scruffy SWF... I know Silvia Trkman does really well in agility with hers but... still don't appeal to me.... I can see them becoming the next BC though ;)

Did you end up ruling Lappies out?

No not entirely, I am just not sure if they are quite what I want. I know some with decent drive like Soaks but then all the other ones I've met have been quite mellow and low drive and I'm a bit worried about ending up with a coach-potato lappie :eek:

Yeah, it's something to be wary of. It is very line dependent. My worst nightmare would be a low drive lappie :)

Thanks so much for all the recs guys!
Ooh what about a Pyr Shep!!!!!!!!!

Do we have them in Oz??

Yep they were recently imported by Belengere in QLD. The first litter is coming up soon.

OMG i think i nearly peed myself when i read that squeeeee, how awesome :). I have been nuts about this breed for years.

What about a Tibetan Terrier? They are, from what I believe, very fast and agile, outgoing, and just that little bit challenging to deal with. Not a real terrier. :) I met one and totally fell in love. Ace little dog. Had a good chat to the owners and I reckon they'd be good sports dogs.

Huski doesn't like the look of Valls. Plus they are a wee bit quirky and tend to suit folks that are kind of quirky. :)

Wow thanks so much for all your suggestions and info!

Steve Austin does a lot of work with working line ESS. I have seen a couple of videos with dogs he has taken to Macquarie Island for the rabbit eradication program. They are very drivey though, he did say in a talk they wouldn't be good pets. I know you want them to be drivey and have done great things with Daisy in TID, but do you want that drivey ie they could be comparable to working line Mal in drive if they are true working lines. I loved the look of them, smaller and much less coat than the show line, but very very busy.

My sister in UK has a 5 month old HWV. She is beautiful, very confident, very bouncey I think she has a good level of drive (some of her sibling have gone to working homes), but I would have her if I could ;) . Not many HWV's in Australia, though. Having met Penny who is one of the first bitches in Australia (a Silvanus import from the UK) she is a lovely dog and not huge. They would be a consideration for me if I was considering dog sports. Sorry can't remember if you discounted HWV's? So better stop rabbiting on :cry:

Thanks Quick, it is definitely something I need to do more research into, I don't know anything about field ESS. The show line ones I've met definitely haven't been what I would describe as very drivey but then I haven't met that many so I definitely need to look into it a lot more. I definitely want something that has more drive than Daisy but I don't want anything that I would be miserable living with!

I've not considered HWV, I will look into them too :)

Aussies aren't common at all, why would you think that? Whenever I take mine out, no one knows what they are and they certainly aren't in abundance at our dog obedience club. Labs, GSD's, BC,s Goldens and Kelpies are ther ein droves, but there's usually just me and one other person with Aussies and occasionally a local breeder shows up.

At a recent obedience trial I entered, there were only 4 Aussies entered and only 3 competed.

And your state has very few in numbers at shows. compared to here and much fewer breeders.

But no one would be surprised to see one in the obedience or agility ring, everyone knows they are a good dog sports dog, I really like to have breeds that are a bit unusual or ones that you may not see around in the ring very often. I know tonnes of people who have Aussies in dog sports, they are a bit too BC-ish for me.

I know that sounds terribly picky as I do really like them and I think they are lovely dogs (just as LuvLottie how much I fawn over Lottie whenever we catch up for training) but I'm usually the only person with a beagle at a trial, I like to compete with breeds that are a bit uncommon. I haven't ever seen an ESS in obedience or agility, though I do reckon they are more common in obed/agility than say a beag or a Sibe.

ETA: Steve Austin has Em's brother and often gets pups from my breeder. They are incredibly active puppies - my friends who breed working line Labs and GSPs can't get over how full on they are :) That said, she is a glorious pet as long as she has lots of mental stimulation and physical activity. Very snuggly and you have to push through the puppy screaming at being left in her crate but at 5 months she is snoring in her crate as I type and has fitted in beautifully. Screamed blue murder when she first saw Zig but now they are the best of friends.

Wow thanks so much for all that info TSD!

Dallies probably aren't quite my cup of tea (though I remember REALLY wanting one after seeing 101 Dalmations as a kid :D :eek:).

Is she very prey (toy) driven or is she more of a food driven dog?

Cant believe noone has suggested a GSP. Huski you've met my girl Coco otherwise known as the Energizer Bunny with ADHD.

I do like GSPs, just not enough to own one ;) A person at our obedience club has a GSP and she is lovely just like Coco but for some reason I don't look at them and think "OMG I have to own one" if that makes sense?

ETA: Valls are a bit small for me. I do think they are cute but just not for me!

Edited by huski

Oh, go for an English Setter. I dare ya.

My ES grandpuppy, who is now at the bridge, was the dumbest, laziest dog I have ever met. Totally, totally gorgeous but god he was thick as two planks, Now THAT would be a challenge! And there's a breed you never see at trials.

Oh, go for an English Setter. I dare ya.

My ES grandpuppy, who is now at the bridge, was the dumbest, laziest dog I have ever met. Totally, totally gorgeous but god he was thick as two planks, Now THAT would be a challenge! And there's a breed you never see at trials.

LOL I like a challenge but I would be miserable living with a lazy dog! I need something that's still active... a lazy dog would drive me up the wall!

Beautiful dogs though :)