Getting A New Breed

huski

Ok, I'll preface this by stating that it will be at least a year or more before I can have another dog, but I am quite research obsessed so always like to plan ahead. Daisy is already four years old and I know in the next two years I'll be wanting to add a pup to our household to train for dog sports (at the moment, it will just be obedience and agility).

I am thinking about getting another dog to do dog sports with, I want one from puppy hood from a reputable breeder. I am really keen to get another beagle so I haven't ruled that out, at the moment it is my first preference. But I am also open to getting a new breed altogether.

I want to get another Siberian one day but not while I still have Micha as I just couldn't deal with two times the amount of husky-shedding (LOL).

Seeing a video of TSD's English Springer Spaniel the other day made me realise how many awesome breeds are out there that I haven't even considered. So I wanted to ask in here to see what everyone would recommend :rofl:

What I want:

- Medium size (no bigger than my Siberian who is just under 30kg, and no smaller than my beagle)

- Has a reasonable amount of drive

- Has a naturally confident/outgoing/sociable temperament (obviously a lot of these things will differ puppy to puppy)

- I'm not afraid of having a breed that will present a bit of challenge, in fact I prefer it

- An active breed

What I don't want:

- A BC, Goldie, Lab, Staffy, toy breeds or any of the really common dog sports breeds

- Anything with a really long haired coat

- Anything SUPER high drive i.e. a WL Mal (I want drivey but not that drivey)

- Breeds that are super people orientated/clingy

- Low energy breeds

Breeds I like but don't know a lot about: ESS, Soft Coated Wheatens, Brittanys, German wire-haired pointers, Harriers (and heaps more I can't think of right now)

Sooooo recs?

ETA: It may seem like there are loads of breeds that fit into my requirements, but I should have prefaced with the fact I am quite fussy. I have to look at a dog and know just looking at it that I could own it. Yeah. So... fussy :o

Edited by huski

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I'll preface this by stating that it will be at least a year or more before I can have another dog, but I am quite research obsessed so always like to plan ahead. Daisy is already four years old and I know in the next two years I'll be wanting to add a pup to our household to train for dog sports (at the moment, it will just be obedience and agility).

I am thinking about getting another dog to do dog sports with, I want one from puppy hood from a reputable breeder. I am really keen to get another beagle so I haven't ruled that out, at the moment it is my first preference. But I am also open to getting a new breed altogether.

I want to get another Siberian one day but not while I still have Micha as I just couldn't deal with two times the amount of husky-shedding (LOL).

Seeing a video of TSD's English Springer Spaniel the other day made me realise how many awesome breeds are out there that I haven't even considered. So I wanted to ask in here to see what everyone would recommend :o

What I want:

- Medium size (no bigger than my Siberian who is just under 30kg, and no smaller than my beagle)

- Has a reasonable amount of drive

- Has a naturally confident/outgoing/sociable temperament (obviously a lot of these things will differ puppy to puppy)

- I'm not afraid of having a breed that will present a bit of challenge, in fact I prefer it

- An active breed

What I don't want:

- A BC, Goldie, Lab, Staffy, toy breeds or any of the really common dog sports breeds

- Anything with a really long haired coat

- Anything SUPER high drive i.e. a WL Mal (I want drivey but not that drivey)

- Breeds that are super people orientated/clingy

- Low energy breeds

Breeds I like but don't know a lot about: ESS, Soft Coated Wheatens, Brittanys, German wire-haired pointers, Harriers (and heaps more I can't think of right now)

Sooooo recs?

Brittanys - may be too clingy, same for GWP. Also I from memory a GWP would be a bit bigger then 30kgs...

If you don't want something 'clingy' I would move away from the gundogs. Maybe a schnazuer?

Yeah I didn't realise how big they were, I have just been looking at them and I think I will be ruling them out for size.

Flat Coats remind me too much of labs/goldies :o No offense to anyone who owns them but I am not a huge fan of a lot of the retrieving breeds. Obviously, there are exceptions to that, with the breeds I listed above. LOL don't know about showing... maybe if the right dog came along I'd give it a go...

ETA: Rally, Mini schnauzers would be too small for me. Daisy is 15kg and I really wouldn't want anything much smaller than that. Maybe a standard? I don't know much about them though.

Edited by huski

German Pinscher?

I quite like these but they look more challenging than the people focussed breeds I have :o

Probably a little smaller than what I want and not really my thing look wise :rofl:

I don't mind people-focused dogs, super clingy ones that want to be with you constantly every waking minute of the day tend to grate on my nerves though.

Did you end up ruling Lappies out?

No not entirely, I am just not sure if they are quite what I want. I know some with decent drive like Soaks but then all the other ones I've met have been quite mellow and low drive and I'm a bit worried about ending up with a coach-potato lappie :D

Thanks so much for all the recs guys!

Ooh what about a Pyr Shep!!!!!!!!!

Do we have them in Oz??

Perhaps too much fur for you, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

No I've thought about Tollers, haven't ruled them out entirely but probably a bit BC-ish for me (did I mention that I'm super picky? :o)

Standard Poodle? Or too big? apparently some do well at obedience.

I love Standards but I don't know if they'd really be drivey enough for me.

Yeah I didn't realise how big they were, I have just been looking at them and I think I will be ruling them out for size.

Flat Coats remind me too much of labs/goldies :rofl: No offense to anyone who owns them but I am not a huge fan of a lot of the retrieving breeds. Obviously, there are exceptions to that, with the breeds I listed above. LOL don't know about showing... maybe if the right dog came along I'd give it a go...

ETA: Rally, Mini schnauzers would be too small for me. Daisy is 15kg and I really wouldn't want anything much smaller than that. Maybe a standard? I don't know much about them though.

:o I have no idea about schnauzer sizes! My brothers GF has one that is about beagle sized (I think it is a little oversized) that would fit the bill.

Some random ideas;

-show line Kelpie or Cattle Dog

-Field Spaniel or Welsh Springer Spaniel

-Basser Fauve de Bretange

Dalmation?

ACD

Pointer (you can tell everyone its a Standard Beagle :o )

Are Pointers and Dallies very drivey? I know they are relatively active breeds.

I actually quite like ACDs, but not sure I could own one. Though the well bred ones I love have temperaments that quite appeal to me.

An Aussie?

I like Aussies but they are probably a bit too common for me (kinda like BCs, Goldies, Labs etc).

At the moment a working line ESS is probably appealing to me the most, I've never even considered them, but they seem quite lovely and on paper are ticking all my boxes. I know nothing at all about them though.

:rofl: I think the toller people would murder you for comparing them to a border :o . Actually as a border person and somebody who spent a few weeks living with a clan of tollers I would tell you they aren't really a like at all.

Did you end up ruling Lappies out?

Ooh what about a Pyr Shep!!!!!!!!!

Are these in Australia? I love them!

What about a Portugese Water Dog? May be a bit too clingy though?

Keeshond - too hairy maybe?

This is hard!! :o

:D I think the toller people would murder you for comparing them to a border :o . Actually as a border person and somebody who spent a few weeks living with a clan of tollers I would tell you they aren't really a like at all.

Sorry I didn't mean that they were like BCs temperament wise, but are sort of in the BC/lab/goldie type pile for me :D I do really like them though and if I was going to go for a more common dog sports breed it would probably be a Toller (though I know Tollers aren't all that common numbers wise, I'm not making much sense am I? :D :rofl:)

Edited by huski