Alternative To Raw Bones

ravenau1

I have used dried tendons and beef wizzers, roo tendons etc with mine. Two can tolerate raw bones and food no worries, the ontehr can only tolerate a very lean, virtually no meat beef rib at mosta round once a week. They love these and the help keep their teeth clean

http://www.australianpettreatcompany.com.au/

They are all australian, no added crap just dried. The beef tendons are quite hard.

This site was recommended to me too ..... somewhat cheaper ?

K9 Magic

Not really... The Whelping Supplies cost includes postage.... The K9 Magic one doesn't. It would cost $15.40 from K9 Magic for a large one once you add postage, so not that different.

I just did a practice run on the K9 Magic site.

Purchasing 3 x large antlers (@$7 ea) = $21.00. Plus postage & packing $8.40. Comes to a total of $29.40.

If I purchase 3 x large antlers from Whelping Supplies it would cost me $54.00. If the sizes aren't quite the same, even if I purchased 3 of the next size down it would cost me $48.00.

So I guess where you win through K9 Magic is when you purchase more than just one antler as you're not being charged the postage on each one. Not that it's a competition, but for people such as Ianeka who have multiple dogs, or for those who might like to purchase a few at a time for convenience sake, it would work out better.

Edited by Erny

• 1 month later...
This site was recommended to me too ..... somewhat cheaper ?

K9 Magic

Not really... The Whelping Supplies cost includes postage.... The K9 Magic one doesn't. It would cost $15.40 from K9 Magic for a large one once you add postage, so not that different.

I just did a practice run on the K9 Magic site.

Purchasing 3 x large antlers (@$7 ea) = $21.00. Plus postage & packing $8.40. Comes to a total of $29.40.

If I purchase 3 x large antlers from Whelping Supplies it would cost me $54.00. If the sizes aren't quite the same, even if I purchased 3 of the next size down it would cost me $48.00.

So I guess where you win through K9 Magic is when you purchase more than just one antler as you're not being charged the postage on each one. Not that it's a competition, but for people such as Ianeka who have multiple dogs, or for those who might like to purchase a few at a time for convenience sake, it would work out better.

Comparison photos :thumbsup:

100_8135_1.jpg100_8134_1.jpg

Your 2nd photo froze on me for some reason Sway, so can't see the comparison. I didn't realise the initial link was to your business, so I didn't mean anything by setting up competition. In fairness though, I must admit that I got 3 antlers. One was quite large (perhaps not quite as large as the large one of yours, plus 2 x of the (what I would call) the medium sized ones (about 2.5cm diameter, without measuring). As I said - I can't see your second photo (tried twice, even shut down DOL and re-started) to be able to compare. I wasn't thinking about size beforehand.

Lol .... my boy hasn't even made a visual dint on any of his antlers. My gosh, they are hard aren't they? Amazing that they are hair converted.

No your right, I just thought I would show people the difference.

Mine are chunky, heavy and hurt when you drop one on your toe! :thumbsup:

Try this picture - it's a screen shot of the two pictures

834783.jpg

Edited by SwaY

Lol .... my boy hasn't even made a visual dint on any of his antlers. My gosh, they are hard aren't they? Amazing that they are hair converted.

They really arn't converted hair - they are calcified cartilage with a hairy skin covering.

If you were to cut one off a stag whilst they are covered in the velvety fur you would find that they are like a soft blood rich honeycomb with a furry skin , easy to cut and easy to break.

As they mature the interior of the antler begins to calcify and loose the blood supply, at the same time the velvety exterior dies off and begins to hang off the antler like bark on a tree.

Eventually the entire antler calcifies and they drop off either thru the stags fighting or rubbing them on trees.

If the deer are being farmed for their velvet, the antlers are cut off whilst still in the blood rich velvet stage, it is the interior of the antler that is dried and used in the velvet capsules or chinese medicine, the furry outer covering is of no use whatsover, it just shows which stage of growth the antlers are at.

Edited by emilee

The comparison photos don't ring true Sway. My antler, that I purchased last week, is nothing like the pic you are showing. :) It is probably mid way between the one you are saying is yours and the one you are saying is a competitors.

Mind you, I am more than happy with the size, but I feel suspect you exaggerating the size a little of other retails, and yours, to be honest.

Antlers would be different widths depending on where they come form, so I imagine most reatialers of them would have varying sizes.

Anyway, my guys are loving the one I purchased and I will need to purchase more. 1 between 3 dogs is simply not enough.

Anne from memory you purchased a 15cm ?

The above photos are of my 25cm or Large Antler, next to the other retailers large Antler.

Below for comparison is a photo of my 15cm or small Antler which you purchased, photographed next to the other retailers Antler.

As you can see there is no exaggeration.

100_8142_1.jpg