How To Remove Staining On White Dogs

She is such a tiny dog, there is no need to resort to budget food like that.

Buy a decent quality dry food if you can't find fresh in your area. Hills, Advance or Eukanuba can be easily obtained.

Canine Country and Big Dog Pet Foods both offer good quality meat, fresh and balanced with nutrients. Give them a call and find your nearest outlet.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Clyde, diet can make a major difference. My Pap use to get bad tear staining until I went over to raw feeding, now at 14 when one would expect the staining to be worse he has no issue with it. A little Apple Cider Vinegar added to the food or in the dogs water will help change the dogs PH balance too reducing the tear staining. Also avoid dogfoods that have Beet juice in them as I have heard that this contributes to the problem.

Hi Ozjen, just wondering how much of the Apple cider vinegar would you put in a 10 ltr bucket of water :confused: I have tried it by putting in 3 cap fulls in the water, we have found in just 3 days that one of our 4 month old Pappies, who had major tear staining has cleared up & his coat is also a lot softer, we feed all our Paps & Whippet fesh meat, chicken bones/ lamd flaps, bones

One of my Samoyeds gets terrible tear stains when eating certain foods.

We switched foods and he's much better now.

I agree with the others, look at the dogs diet.

My boy Simba (Samoyed) has red stains on both sides of his muzzle that I think may be

caused by him licking the area. However I don't see him do this very often so I'm unsure as

to what is causing it. washing the area in whitening shampoo and combing the area have

helped reduce the severity of it but I would like to get rid of it completely.

Any ideas would be appreciated :(

XXToughgirlXX

You have it wrong there. The macrolide antibiotics found in angels eyes (very low levels) are a natural polyketide. There has been research into angels eyes usefulness and safety. It has been found to be 100% safe to use even over long periods.

I'm sure it's even safer to feed than tinned dog food.

Please do your research before scaring ppl off using a totally harmless product.

Even though macrolide antibiotics originally were developed from fungal byproducts this does not mean they are "natural". They are now produced in big steel vats in labs. Tylosin was widely used as a growth promoter in chickens (at low doses) and was banned due to widespread concern about development of bacterial resistance. Why encourage antibiotic use for cosmetic purposes?

Safety research will investigate whether it is safe for the user, not whether the user has developed resistant bacteria in its gut.

My boy Simba (Samoyed) has red stains on both sides of his muzzle that I think may be

caused by him licking the area. However I don't see him do this very often so I'm unsure as

to what is causing it. washing the area in whitening shampoo and combing the area have

Any ideas would be appreciated :(

XXToughgirlXX

My boy got staining around the mouth when he had the tear stains.

Whats Simba eating?

It was the high wheat content that set my boy off.

You have it wrong there. The macrolide antibiotics found in angels eyes (very low levels) are a natural polyketide. There has been research into angels eyes usefulness and safety. It has been found to be 100% safe to use even over long periods.

I'm sure it's even safer to feed than tinned dog food.

Please do your research before scaring ppl off using a totally harmless product.

Even though macrolide antibiotics originally were developed from fungal byproducts this does not mean they are "natural". They are now produced in big steel vats in labs. Tylosin was widely used as a growth promoter in chickens (at low doses) and was banned due to widespread concern about development of bacterial resistance. Why encourage antibiotic use for cosmetic purposes?

Safety research will investigate whether it is safe for the user, not whether the user has developed resistant bacteria in its gut.

I've called a few vets regarding this and have been told by all three that it's perfectly safe to use. I'm assuming you are a vet yourself, I'm finding it strange that vets can have such diverse opinions on angels eyes. I've used it for years as has my white dogs breeder, neither if us have ever had any issues. What is it exactly that you are concerned about? What are the side affects? I've contacted the angels eyes company and been assured my dog is safe.

So please, as a vet, inform me of what will happen to my dog from ingesting this product? I'm now quite concerned.

Two of my dogs have tear stains.

My dam and her dog.

I found it is controllable by wiping their eyes regularly and often.

I do it as part of their daily interaction.

I have had good results without any other intervention.

Thanks everyone,

She is a 10 month old Maltese/silky with dash of poodle and chi. but she is all white and her skin is white with a couple of freckly type marks on her skin. she has dark brown eyes. I generally keep the hair around her face short to minimise it it just looks awful.

She is an inside dog so i only wash her once a fortnight. Or should i wash her more? she's not a smelly dog and she gets brushed every day cause she loves it LOL.

I also have a old male chi who is a bit overweight so they both get supercoat lite and mature dry food. I feed them the Platinum dog Roll from Coles she just gets a bigger portion than he does. As well as rawhide chews and liver straps etc.

I was bathing her in my Dove body wash LOL but was wondering if there was another dog wash i could use that would help with the staining as well.

I might try another type of dog food. I have heard of the BARF brand but don't know a supplier around here we are in Jimboomba (brisbane southside).

She is going in next week to be desexed so will have a chat to the vet as well and get her checked out while she is there.

cheers

Here are the Qld distributors Hottopic01 http://www.drianbillinghurst.com/distributors.php?pid=5

Danielle, the product is 'safe' for your dog to use. It won't hurt your dog.

The problem is that it is an antibiotic.

Routine use of antibiotics can cause some strains of bacteria to develop a resistance. Then we have nasty bugs that cannot be stopped at all.

The staining on the dog's mouth is caused by bacteria. But it is better to look at other ways to reduce the amount of bad bacteria on the dog's skin, before we kill every bacteria that is on the skin, the good bacteria and the bad.

The good bacteria and the bad bacteria can live in balance and that will reduce skin problems. Once you kill all the bacteria with an antibiotic, the bad bacteria may grow back a lot faster, and make the problem much worse as soon as you try to stop using the product.

Angel Eyes is a useful tool, when used with a holistic approach.

Good food (no colours, no allergens)

Good water (no plastic bowls, clean/fresh)

Good coat husbandry (quality shampoo to clean it up, followed by quality conditioner to protect it)

Making sure that the dog has healthy teeth (staining increases during teething, and if the dog has problems with gums, teeth and sometimes ears).

I've used angel eyes successfully on a dog with tear staining. He had a clear ACES eye exam, he just spontaneously started staining without a change in food. A course of angel eyes got it under control and he was given probiotics when the angel eyes was done. His eyes stayed white after the angel eyes was stopped.

I've also cleaned up dogs without angel eyes - a dog came to stay with a totally red face started to grow through pure white by just being kept on good quality food, washed and dried properly and kept on rain water. Some dogs need a little push to get the yeast under control and then the "normal" non-drug methods work.

I agree with Clyde, diet can make a major difference. My Pap use to get bad tear staining until I went over to raw feeding, now at 14 when one would expect the staining to be worse he has no issue with it. A little Apple Cider Vinegar added to the food or in the dogs water will help change the dogs PH balance too reducing the tear staining. Also avoid dogfoods that have Beet juice in them as I have heard that this contributes to the problem.

Hi Ozjen, just wondering how much of the Apple cider vinegar would you put in a 10 ltr bucket of water :) I have tried it by putting in 3 cap fulls in the water, we have found in just 3 days that one of our 4 month old Pappies, who had major tear staining has cleared up & his coat is also a lot softer, we feed all our Paps & Whippet fesh meat, chicken bones/ lamd flaps, bones

To be honest I never really measure it, just chuck in a good splash to the large water bowl which I guess would be about 10lts. Sounds like your on to the right amount. I swear by Apple Cider Vinegar for 101 uses, seems to deter fleas too as I haven't had an issue with them for years. I also spray a mix of ACV and water on the coat to deter flies and other bities during summer, would probabaly be about two capfuls to a 500ml spray bottle.

Did you mean beet pulp? Its a fairly common additive for fibre content.

Yep, that's the one, I was told by a Pap breeder about 12 years ago to avoid any food with it in, to avoid the staining. Unfortunatly I found it very hard to avoid while feeding kibble, but once we changed to raw and also ACV no more issue with it.

I add the ACV directly on my dogs' morning kibble. The Papillon babies have had it added to their food right from their first meals. The babies get 5ml daily, the adults 10ml and the Setters get 20ml. I find that it also reduces the 'burn' patches on the lawn, as well. One of my girls was away, being shown, for about 4 months with a change of diet. When she came home, she was very stained around the eyes, feet and chest and it took 2 months for the staining to totally disappear with the Apple Cider Vinegar and a wheat and corn-free kibble.

US Pap breeders swear by adding a teaspoon of Dried Buttermilk Powder daily, but I can't find the powder only the fresh buttermilk and it would not be as concentrated. I tried the fresh for about 4 months with no discernable results.

for those that use/feed ACV, do you use the regular stuff from the supermarket or do you use the untreated stuff that one buys from health food stores and herbalists?

i'm not sure if my dog will like it, but i'll give it a go. i certainly mix it in with all my horses and ponies feeds...and yet i never thought about it for dogs before, except as an arthirtis preventative when they're older!

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

XXToughgirlXX

Whats Simba eating?

I've recently switched his food from Supercoat large breed to Royal Canin Maxi Sensible. Due to the fact it is a premium food and

has glucosamine and chondroitin which helps with his joint problems. But a wheat intolerance sounds interesting, I never considered that. :o

XXToughgirlXX

Any ideas would be appreciated :laugh:

XXToughgirlXX

Whats Simba eating?

I've recently switched his food from Supercoat large breed to Royal Canin Maxi Sensible. Due to the fact it is a premium food and

has glucosamine and chondroitin which helps with his joint problems. But a wheat intolerance sounds interesting, I never considered that. :laugh:

XXToughgirlXX

Bundy has the same staining and also staining under the lips, I have always put it down to the fact he is quite jowly whereas the other three aren't and they don't have the staining. He is fed a premium kibble and raw. He is also a licker, and will spend ages licking his knees and paws. He isn't a kennel dog infact if any of them are spoilt it is him, he gets prime spot on the couch and is the only one allowed in my bedroom :thumbsup:

I have believe it or not had some sucess with the papaya cream in the red tube, we are currently trying acv but if it isn't cleared up by the end of Feb, I am going to give Angel Eyes a try.

Edited by SnoPaws

for those that use/feed ACV, do you use the regular stuff from the supermarket or do you use the untreated stuff that one buys from health food stores and herbalists?

i'm not sure if my dog will like it, but i'll give it a go. i certainly mix it in with all my horses and ponies feeds...and yet i never thought about it for dogs before, except as an arthirtis preventative when they're older!

The ACV must contain the "Mother". Get it from the HFS as the supermarket one would be heat treated and not have it.

Articles on ACV

http://phdproducts.com/main/phdpage.asp?page=134

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html

The ACV must contain the "Mother". Get it from the HFS as the supermarket one would be heat treated and not have it.

Articles on ACV

http://phdproducts.com/main/phdpage.asp?page=134

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html

Hi Bully just read the 2 links you put up about AVC :laugh: I like them, very explainatory, thank you

laugh.gif Thanks Pewithers I feel like a goose. Yeah I will have a chat to him re her diet. She has no other health problems apart from the staining.

But then the old boy could probably do with a better diet!

Wondering too if it might improve once she is desexed, wonder if hormones have something to do with it. I was waiting till she was a bit bigger to get desexed cause she is small and fine boned and she just didn't seem big enough at 6 months to get desexed LOL. But she came on heat about 2 weeks ago so had to postpone it. Will be interesting to see if it makes a difference as well.

Sometimes when my girls come into season they have tear staining, it could be hormonal. Also extra lashes which is not uncommon with coated breeds can be a problem causing staining.

I know it,s a cosmetic problem but when showing, tear stains are not a good look. I actually use Tylosin sparingly. I would prefer not to but I feel I have no choice, it's what I've got and it works.

Some info on Tylosin

Tylosin (Tylan®) By: Dr. Nicholas Dodman

* Share this

View larger image

Overview

# Tylosin is an antibiotic categorized further as a "macrolide". Other members of this class of antibiotics include erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin, spiramycin, and dirithromycin.

# Tylosin is produced naturally by an actinomycete, Streptomyces fradiae. It is bacteriostatic, inhibiting bacterial protein synthesis through inhibition of the 50S ribosome and is active against Gram-positive and Gram-negative microorganisms, Mycoplasma, vibrios, and spirochetes.

# Tylosin is used as a food additive growth promoter in food animals. It is also used as an antibiotic to treat infections in farm animals.

# In small animals, tylosin has been used for its anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties to treat colitis.

It is also used to treat infections of other organ systems, notably the respiratory tract and skin.

# Tylosin is a prescription drug and can only be obtained from a veterinarian or by prescription from a veterinarian.

# Tylosin is not approved for use in dogs and cats by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) but may be legally prescribed by veterinarians as an extra - label drug.

Brand Names and Other Names

# This drug is approved for use in farm animals.

# Human formulations: None

# Veterinary formulations: Tylan® (Elanco) and various generic formulations.

Uses of Tylosin

Tylosin is used in a variety of ways including:

# To treat colitis in small animals

# To treat small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in dogs (and perhaps cats)

# To treat pulmonary, dermatologic, or other soft tissue infections caused by group beta-hemolytic streptococci and mycoplasma pneumoniae in small animals

# To treat susceptible infections in large animals

# As a growth promoter in food animals

Precautions and Side Effects

# Tylosin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug or other macrolide antibiotics.

# Gastrointestinal disturbance, resulting in diarrhea, may occurs after oral administration.

# One drawback associated with oral administration is tylosin's foul taste, which is difficult to disguise.

# When tylosin is administered in the muscle or under the skin, pain and local reactions may occur at the injection site. Skin itching may occur as a result of treatment with tylosin.

Drug Interactions

Tylosin may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with tylosin. Some interactions may include:

# Digitalis: Tylosin may increase digitalis blood levels and thus its toxicity.

# Chloramphenicol or Lincosamides: Tylosin may be antagonistic.

# Laboratory Tests: Macrolide antibiotics may cause falsely high readings of serum AST and ALT when colorimetric assays are employed.

How Tylosin is Supplied

# Tylosin is available in an oral form that is concentrated at 2.7 gm/5mL (level teaspoonful) in 100 g bottles.

Dosing Information

# Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

# Doses of tylosin vary widely depending on the reason for prescribing.

# The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse.

# In dogs, the usual dose is 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg) every 12 hours for up to 6 weeks.

# In cats, the usual dose is 2.5 to 5 mg per pound (5 to 10 mg/kg) every 12 hours.

And

BACKGROUND

Tylosin is an antibiotic of the macrolide class (same class as erythromycin). It is made naturally by the bacterium Streptomyces fradiae and acts to inhibit bacterial protein synthesis by inhibiting the 50S ribosome, a cellular structure only certain bacteria have and use to make internal proteins. Mammals also have ribosomes to synthesize proteins but they are of a type not influenced by macrolide antibiotics.

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED

Tylosin is licensed for use in live stock as a broad spectrum antibiotic in treatment of infection but it has other uses that have little to do with its antibiotic activity. In small animals, tylosin is not used as an antibiotic at all but as an anti-inflammatory. Its chief use is for the treatment of colitis. Here, it is not used as an antibiotic to treat infection but instead as an anti-inflammatory to soothe the large intestine. While few formal studies have been performed to examine this non-antibacterial property of tylosin, it certainly seems to work in this regard.

Another common use is to reduce tear staining, particularly in white colored dogs. Small breed dogs commonly have shallow tear wells which lead to tear overflow down their face, a condition called "epiphora." The subsequent red-brown staining of the fur from tear pigments is felt to be unsightly and through an unknown mechanism tylosin seems to alleviate this condition; in fact, the Angel Eyes® product listed above is marketed exactly for this use. There are two controversies regarding this use of tylosin. The first is with the Angel Eyes® product itself. This product is a beef-flavored chewable but the exact amount of tylosin is not specified on the label which means one's pet would be using an unknown amount of drug daily. Obviously, if one is going to use a drug one should at the very least know how much is being used. As an alternative to Angel Eyes®, a precisely dosed capsule can be provided by a compounding pharmacy. The second controversy is whether or not it is even appropriate to use an antibiotic daily for a cosmetic problem. Casual use of antibiotics is responsible for antibiotic resistance of bacteria in the environment and, in general, bacteria that become resistant to tylosin also become resistant to erythromycin. Since tear-staining is simply a cosmetic issue, perhaps non-antibiotic treatment could be used instead. For more details on this please visit the page on epiphora.

Tylosin can also be used in ferrets, rabbits, and pocket pets.

SIDE EFFECTS

While there is definite side effect potential in large animal species, dogs can tolerate very high doses of tylosin with no adverse effects. The biggest problem with small animal use seems to be the especially foul taste of tylosin which necessitates formulation into capsules, which is usually done by a compounding pharmacy.

Tylosin may falsely elevate certain liver blood tests (ALT and AST).

INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS

Tylosin can increase digoxin blood levels and should be used cautiously in patients taking digoxin for heart failure