Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

:) His blood sugar might have had a needed boost?

Thanks Perse - I didn't think of that. He's been on the melatonin for over a week and it doesn't seem to be doing much. We had a bad night last night again - so I'm really sleep deprived again frown.gif I'm going to try him on the honey again tonight and see if that helps. Then if needs be, I'm then going to find a way to corral him between the bed and the wall - and if that works I think I'll try Puddleducks suggestion of a portacot (will be much easier to manage in the bedroom). I so don't want to resort to any sort of sedation. But still open to any other suggestions. smile.gif

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing he's started more of this week is randomly licking his bed. My old girl, Kerry (lab x border who lived to 20 years 11 months) did the same thing. I think he is getting a lot of anxiety from his failing vision and also gets stressed with us getting loud when we play with the toddlersaurus. I wonder if he isnt barking as a startle reaction. He's on Euk senior at the moment and the vet was very impressed with his overall condition, he has some muscle wastage but he's pretty good all up. He can't tolerate raw unfortunately. I'm just stressed by the barking really. I'm constantly aware of the neighbours, there is 15 units in our building and probably 20-30 in the one next door, and quite a few people who dislike the dogs (who we have plenty of permission for, but it's still a concern). There are a few who say they didn't realise we have dogs which I take as a backwards compliment!

Sorry to hear about the doofs licking and barking PD. Mac licks obsessively too - he particularly likes licking the lounge frown.gif. The only thing I've been able to do to manage it was to distract him and move him away from the spot he seems obsessed with. He licks my legs as well - particularly when they're wet when I've just got out of the shower, which isn't terrific!

As to the barking, has the vet suggested one of the dementia drugs for him? Vivitonin perhaps? (It certainly seems to have helped Mac). As to the neighbours, maybe if you introduce doof to all your neighbours? He then becomes the old dog doof with dementia rather than just that 'bl**dy barking dog'. Maybe see if some people, particularly your close neighbours could 'help' you out by letting you know if he's barking problematically? And give them strategies to help? My Sarah would bark at one neighbour if she heard her in her garden next door. So the neighbour would poke her head over the fence, talk to Sarah and tell her to stop barking - and she often did. Sarah was just looking for company when I was at work and luckily the neighbours understood this. I also had two cats who became the 'community cats' in the block of units I lived in at Coffs Harbour years ago - unbeknownst to me after I left for work both kitties headed to the retired couple in unit 1 and had a lovely day in the sun with them until I came home - and this couple told me off (nicely!) if my care wasn't up to their standards!! laugh.gif Is there someone who could doggy-sit doof during the day for you? (Although I'm sure you''ve thought of most of this).

Or if you can't enrol the neighbours in the solution, can you try one of those anti-barking collars? I don't know much about them but maybe someone else could make some suggestions?

Sadly another really bad night here last night. frown.gif - I've had about two hours sleep so I'm running on empty. So we're of to the vet now - will report back later. I've even written a list of stuff to discuss with him so I don't forget. embarrass.gif

Thanks Rosetta - the vet visit went well (I really like my vets) - did a complete physical and took bloods (I usually have this done every July anyway). The physical was fine - heart good, excellent gum colour, no pain reactions on manipulation. He's lost about 400g in weight since last visit (6 months ago?) and is under eight kilos. We decided to change his medication - the vet has given me some valium as a temporary measure for overnight until the Lovan (generic Prozac) kicks in - hopefully in about ten days time. He kindly gave me a script for the chemist instead of the really expensive veterinary version - $15.00 for two months worth. So I stopped into the chemist on my way home from the vet - the young pharmacist is getting used to me getting stuff for my dogs!

We also talked about him getting too cold overnight yet he won't stay under a blanket - so I've put a jumper on him this evening (its freezing in Adelaide at the moment).

I gave him 2 mg of valium at 10.30pm last night and it worked well - until about 3.30 am and then it was party time again - the pacing is pretty relentless. frown.gif So I gave him another one and then another (the vet said I could) an hour later when the pacing hadn't stopped. I'm not really sure what happened then as I fell asleep on the lounge. I'll give the valium another try tonight.

Wondering if a thundershirt would help?

One other thing I've just noticed - he's doing it at the moment - he seems to be doing a lot of panting and seems to have noisy inspiratory breathing and appears to be using a lot of accessory muscles - he's hanging his head over the edge of the lounge - and his breathing seems to have settled again although its a bit jerky - not calm and rhythmical like the other two.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks everyone.

Edited by westiemum

Is he still on vivitonin? Just wondering if one of the other dementia medications would work better, selegiline or fitergol, not sure if you've tried them already.

I was told with Kayla that her panting is also part of the dementia. She tends to pant more in the evening when she is pacing. Not sure what would cause the jerking movements you describe though.

Is he still on vivitonin? Just wondering if one of the other dementia medications would work better, selegiline or fitergol, not sure if you've tried them already.

I was told with Kayla that her panting is also part of the dementia. She tends to pant more in the evening when she is pacing. Not sure what would cause the jerking movements you describe though.

Thanks kayla - yes I asked the vet about that and he said it was fine to leave him on the vivitonin for the moment. Yes I wondered about the other dementia drugs too and thought thats what he would suggest but he prescribed the Lovan - I'm so tired I'm probably not reporting accurately but he thought his deafness and very poor night vision weren't helping either - and thats probably right - so I think thats why he prescribed the prozac - and when I looked it up when I got home I thought it certainly makes sense as it has a sedating effect as well. So I'll give it a good go and then take it from there...

ETA - thanks for mentioning the panting - I didn't know it was connected with dementia. I'll talk with the vet about the jerkiness tomorrow and hanging his head over the lounge for relatively long periods of time... its as if it gives him some relief of some sort...

Edited by westiemum

Just had a chat with my vet - the bloods are both back and he said they are 'perfect' for both Mac and Sarah. He agreed it was amazing in an almost 14 year old and 12 year old. So he's absolutely convinced there's nothing physically nasty going on with Mac that is producing his current problems. I asked him about Macs panting and he said to check his gum colour next time it happens. If its pink he's probably anxiety panting and if he's blue to take him in. So I'll see how we go tonight and over the weekend.We had a better night last night - so with any luck the Lovan is kicking in. Thanks for your support and kindness everyone. smile.gif

Reposting this from the Thundershirt thread in General so the information stays together...

Rosetta in response to my question about the use of thundershirts with dogs with dementia:

You can get much the same effect from a snug fitting t-shirt or try wrapping a wide bandage around him - it will give you an idea whether a thundershirt would work before buying one. This site has some pictures of how the bandage wraps around

http://peacefuldog.b...iety-wraps.html

Hi all, S and T and Rosetta in particular. Well its 2.50 am and Mac's pacing was terrible 20 minutes ago. I have set up three night lights around the house and bought a heavy weight bandage from the chemist today and swaddled him in it as in your link Rosetta a few minutes ago - and he settled almost immediately - the effect has been really dramatic and he didn't protest against the bandage one bit - he's still heavy breathing but the pacing has stopped and he's lying quietly next to me on the lounge. thumbsup1.gif. Despite the expense I'm leaving the gas heater on in the lounge overnight as well at the moment - hopefully that will help too. (Is really cold overnight here at the moment - I think we are in for a really cold winter this year after a really mild one last year).Now for some sleep myself... thanks again guys. Will report back again tomorrow.

Edited by westiemum

:( Glad something worked .... you must be sooo tired .

have you tried a playpen yet?

We had one of these on 24/7 during Winter in Mum's (BIG) bedroom .. it took the chill off , and is lovely to sit next to ..doesn't put any CO2 into the room, or dry you out . It may be an idea for you ? They work really well in small rooms!

Edited by persephone

:( Glad something worked .... you must be sooo tired .

have you tried a playpen yet?

We had one of these on 24/7 during Winter in Mum's (BIG) bedroom .. it took the chill off , and is lovely to sit next to ..doesn't put any CO2 into the room, or dry you out . It may be an idea for you ? They work really well in small rooms!

Thanks Perse angel2.gif - yes I am really tired but feeling much better this morning after a good 5 hours sleep last night. I'm really pleased the bandage worked so well and hope it wasn't a once off. I've taken it off him for the moment and hes pottering around as opposed to the obsessive pacing of last night.

Thanks for the heaters link - they look great. I'll have a look at them if I dare go out later this morning (Its pouring here). They look exactly what I need.smile.gif

ETA I havent tried the playpen - I tried a crate - and he hated it - scratched and banged the door quite obsessively. I haven't given up on it though as I suspect I may need to crate him down the track - so have left it in the lounge with the door open for him to hopefully get used to.

Edited by westiemum

Quick afternoon update - I left the swaddling bandage off Mac for a couple of hours this morning and put it back on again this afternoon - instant effect. He's peaceful with calm breathing snuggling up to me on the lounge asleep. And I've got it on reasonably firmly (can get three fingers under it ). So not looking like a once off. thumbsup1.gif

Mac's panting worsened overnight and became very noisy laboured breathing. It got much worse this morning and he didn't settle at all last night. So he's at the vet who is not sure whats wrong at this point. And he's lost another 400g since last Wednesday night ...frown.gif I'm waiting to hear from the vet...frown.gif

Edited by westiemum

Thanks Perse. Its been a helluva afternoon. Mac's in intensive care at Anzac Highway - they are suspicious that his trachea has collapsed but not completely sure at this stage as it doesn't always show up on x-ray. Apparently they see it in little dogs and it happens very suddenly. The vet said that would explain why he couldn't settle at all last night. They are giving him some pain relief and O2 and will ring me overnight if he deteriorates . It looks like I'm going to lose my little man but the most important thing is that he not suffer. I'll ring first thing in the morning and we'll go from there. His former vet from the Parade is at Anzac Highway so at least she will be able to help us in the morning and she's wonderful.

Prayers for my little man please.

Edited by westiemum