Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time in a couple of weeks, Mac slept soundly all night in his bed next to mine until he got up for a wee at 6.30 this morning. He took himself off to bed last night and was perfectly happy in his bed next to mine all night. He's happy and trotting around with ears forward and his tail up.

All good! thumbsup1.gif

Very good news for Mac :thumbsup:Do you think that the trachea problem may have been the reason for his night-time troubles WM?

Thanks Rosetta. That's a really astute interesting question - and one I've started asking myself now the dust is settling. I think you're right - it's quite possible that his breathing difficulties were gradually worsening and the cause of the increase in frequency of his night wanderings and real inability to settle overnight over the last couple of weeks. I still think he has dementia - those symptoms I think were obvious prior to this recent episode - but I am wondering if he has an additional underlying neurological disease which has just become clinically more obvious? GOLPP? I guess time will tell.

I guess you may never know re neurological issues because some of the symptoms can be similar. Kayla has a neurological issue and also dementia - perhaps some of her dementia symptoms are part of the neurological problem, I don't really know, but for her at this stage the risks associated with neurological tests outweigh the benefits. So I think you're right about the night wandering and that there are other issues that can contribute. Glad to hear he is doing so well anyway.

Thanks k - yes it can be really difficult teasing out what's dementia & what's something else. Which is why I think studies like that which M posted re so important The only thing we can do is do our best to keep on top of things s they crop up I think. smile.gif

For the first time in a couple of weeks, Mac slept soundly all night in his bed next to mine until he got up for a wee at 6.30 this morning. He took himself off to bed last night and was perfectly happy in his bed next to mine all night. He's happy and trotting around with ears forward and his tail up.

All good! thumbsup1.gif

Very good news for Mac :thumbsup:Do you think that the trachea problem may have been the reason for his night-time troubles WM?

Thanks Rosetta. That's a really astute interesting question - and one I've started asking myself now the dust is settling. I think you're right - it's quite possible that his breathing difficulties were gradually worsening and the cause of the increase in frequency of his night wanderings and real inability to settle overnight over the last couple of weeks. I still think he has dementia - those symptoms I think were obvious prior to this recent episode - but I am wondering if he has an additional underlying neurological disease which has just become clinically more obvious? GOLPP? I guess time will tell.

I guess you may never know re neurological issues because some of the symptoms can be similar. Kayla has a neurological issue and also dementia - perhaps some of her dementia symptoms are part of the neurological problem, I don't really know, but for her at this stage the risks associated with neurological tests outweigh the benefits. So I think you're right about the night wandering and that there are other issues that can contribute. Glad to hear he is doing so well anyway.

These are wonderful suggestions everyone - except he's now not allowed to have anything around his neck - which rules out the tuxedo and scarf- but open to other 'neck less' suggestions! smile.gif

Sorry WM - we are just having fun thinking how cute Mac would look in these outfits. I am sure the neck wound will heal up nicely and he will be a new man! Looking forward to more updates. Do you think he will be able to wear his Thundershirt now?

Oh I see you like the outfit Perse posted - very cute. :)

Edited by Rosetta

Thanks Rosetta - yes all three of mine are very cute! And no I'm not biased - no not at all ;)

Yes I had a look at his thunder shirt last night and I think it will be low enough across the front for him to still wear it. Will wait until he has his stitches out on Friday and then play around with it on the weekend.

I love tartan on westies - and Mac has a lovely black bow tie that I used to put on him if he was having a bad day continence wise and needed to wear a (black) belly band. He would look really smart and it would take the emphasis off his belly band and continence issues. Will need to see if I can come up with a modification so he can wear his bow tie across his chest instead of around his neck.

Thoughts? smile.gif

:( Glad something worked .... you must be sooo tired .

have you tried a playpen yet?

We had one of these on 24/7 during Winter in Mum's (BIG) bedroom .. it took the chill off , and is lovely to sit next to ..doesn't put any CO2 into the room, or dry you out . It may be an idea for you ? They work really well in small rooms!

Those heaters looked good Pers and I told one of my friends about them, on their website they reckon that you can also buy them at The Good Guys and Hardly Normal...but they didn't know what she was talking about so she phoned the company and they said that they sell them at Masters...her nearest Masters store is at Tingalpa so she headed off there and bought two as they sold them for $79 each instead of the $125 + $25 postage from the heater company's online shop.

This post is O/T but WM and the rest of you heater-wanterers may be interested.

Thank you thank you thank you! I've been waiting to hear of the results of this study and didn't realise it had already been published. Mac was part of this study (I think!) as Hannah, the main author was a DOLer but haven't seen her around for quite some time. This is one of the best pieces of work that I've seen on canine dementia. It makes so much sense and shines a lot of light on the confusion around symptomatology (IMHO). Thanks very much for posting Mita.

Mac is doing really well. He's bright-eyed and trotting around - albeit slowly. He's snoring (loudly!) in his Mac cave (a big cushion between the bureau and the lounge in the lounge room) at the moment.

Westie, the US people I passed it on to, were so, so impressed. Great to see Australian researchers come up with something as practical as that. Thank goodness for corvus.... who passed it on.

I love his Mac Cave .... he's like a senior doggie Batman! And good on him for advancing the knowledge about aging & dementia. :thumbsup:

Thank you thank you thank you! I've been waiting to hear of the results of this study and didn't realise it had already been published. Mac was part of this study (I think!) as Hannah, the main author was a DOLer but haven't seen her around for quite some time. This is one of the best pieces of work that I've seen on canine dementia. It makes so much sense and shines a lot of light on the confusion around symptomatology (IMHO). Thanks very much for posting Mita.

Mac is doing really well. He's bright-eyed and trotting around - albeit slowly. He's snoring (loudly!) in his Mac cave (a big cushion between the bureau and the lounge in the lounge room) at the moment.

Westie, the US people I passed it on to, were so, so impressed. Great to see Australian researchers come up with something as practical as that. Thank goodness for corvus.... who passed it on.

I love his Mac Cave .... he's like a senior doggie Batman! And good on him for advancing the knowledge about aging & dementia. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mita - I think the next frontier in old dogs is to tease out early markers of dementia,as distinct from other neurological disease processes - and how can we be sure we aren't confusing them? And then to define some reasonable and helpful canine rehab. I see that as a real deficiency for these dogs at the moment - I worry about my 'trial and error' approach to helping Mac. Would be good if there were some principles and simple processes/suggestions to help us. For example, clarity around the use of elevated bowls would be good! smile.gif

I read earlier in this thread about vivitonin losing it's effectiveness. For those that have dogs on vivitonin, how long did you find it was effective for?

Kayla has been on it for nearly three months now, and there was a big difference initially in terms of her energy levels and she was much brighter. But just lately some of her symptoms are getting worse. I'll give the vivitonin a bit more time before considering a change, but I was wondering how long it usually works for.

kayla I understand from my vet that it works for some dogs and not for others and it can be quite variable.. Macs been on it for a couple of years and its definitely worked for him.. There was time when I wondered if its effectiveness was reducing but I wasn't sure so I've left him on it. And the emergency vet a fortnight ago said to keep him on it - so I have.

I know Sheridan felt it stopped helping dear old Grumpy but I'm not sure how long she used it for - hopefully she'll pop in and let us know. Sorry I know that's not much help.

kayla I understand from my vet that it works for some dogs and not for others and it can be quite variable.. Macs been on it for a couple of years and its definitely worked for him.. There was time when I wondered if its effectiveness was reducing but I wasn't sure so I've left him on it. And the emergency vet a fortnight ago said to keep him on it - so I have.

I know Sheridan felt it stopped helping dear old Grumpy but I'm not sure how long she used it for - hopefully she'll pop in and let us know. Sorry I know that's not much help.

yes, I miss Sheridan and still think about Grumpy, dear old fella.

Thanks westiemum. I'll keep going with it for the moment then and see how she goes.

Poor girl is getting stuck in places more often, and is spending more time staring at walls. I found her standing out in the rain the other day because she had lost me. She is happy enough though and is still more puppy-like since she's been on the vivitonin.

Thanks westiemum. I'll keep going with it for the moment then and see how she goes.

Poor girl is getting stuck in places more often, and is spending more time staring at walls. I found her standing out in the rain the other day because she had lost me. She is happy enough though and is still more puppy-like since she's been on the vivitonin.

kayla Mac is a happy boy too despite his dementia. And that's what counts. I'm so pleased your girl is still a happy girl despite her confusion.

The moment he isn't happy and loses interest in his surroundings - and in Mac's case goes off his food - then that's the time to call it a day.

And if you have received his harness a photo of him in it would be good as I may have to get one for Penny as she uses the tension on her lead to give herself some momentum when we go walking.

ETA I would need to sew a D-shackle on the chest-part (rather than use the one on the back) as it'll keep the tension on the lower part of her body.

Edited by Boronia

How is Mac recovering now from his surgery Westiemum? Did you try the Thundershirt on him yet?

Hi Rosetta. He's brilliant. I can't believe it - he's a new dog. He's just come inside from a little roll... and is lovely and wet!!! laugh.gif I can't believe it. He's alert, bright-eyed, happy and sleeping through the night. So the truth is he doesn't need the thunder shirt at the moment. So I'll hang onto it in case I need it in the future.smile.gif

And if you have received his harness a photo of him in it would be good as I may have to get one for Penny as she uses the tension on her lead to give herself some momentum when we go walking.

ETA I would need to sew a D-shackle on the chest-part (rather than use the one on the back) as it'll keep the tension on the lower part of her body.

Hi B, unfortunately the harness hasn't arrived - it was posted around the 3rd of July so I hope it isn't far away - and the tracking just says it's 'in transit'. So yes I'll take a photo of him in it when it finally arrives. i had hoped to have it for this weekend.frown.gif