Dremel- For Nails

Hi everyone- Not sure if this topic has been covered before!

Please advise me if it has! :D

I notice around the rings people are using the cordless dremels to trim nails-

Does any one have any experience with this?

Are there any hazards/ bad experiences groomers have had?

Do the dogs hate it?

Any tips?

Any one know where to get a cheap one?

I was thinking about purchasing a dremel but thought i would like some feedback before doing so

There have been quite a number of threads and information regarding Dremels and their use. If you use the DOL search engine for "Dremel" it will bring up about three pages of different links to threads which have discussed them. Happy reading :D.

In summary though - yes, many people find that Dremelling their dog's nails is kinder and more successful than clipping, which by its mere pressure can be uncomfortable > painful for dogs.

Here's a link on Dremelling (how to do it/tips) that is helpful :

Dober Dawn and Dremel

You do need to take care dremeling :

• Not for too long on each nail at a time as the nail will heat up and become painful.
  • Watch for where the quick is.
  • Keep long hair (your dog's AND yours) out of the way so it doesn't get caught up in the machine.

There's more, but I think you'll read many of them in the link.

I have the genuine Dremel. It is not cordless and from what I can gather these are quieter than the cordless. However many people have the cordless and do not find it to be a problem. Some have gone for cheaper models/brands - I can't answer for those as I've not used them to be able to compare them with what I have. I will say that my Dremel has been in use on one dog at a time over a period of about 5 years.

Edited by Erny

I use a Dremel. It is a fairly big bulky one and when I saw what my husband brought home for me from Bunnings I wiahed it was a smaller less bulky unit or a remote type, but nevertheless, I am now used to using it.

I have a pup that I have used this Dremel on from day one, so she really knows no different, an older lad that i started using it on at around 3 months old and an older bitch that I started using it on around 6 years of age.

All have coped with the Dremel very well.

I spend a lot more time dremelling than I used to when I trimmed, but I do a much better job also. You can dremel a lot closer to the cuticle, therefore doing a more thorough job and prevent excessive length. The closer you go back to the cuticle encourages the cuticle to draw back also. If you do get the cuticle the dremel cortorises it, so there is way less bleeding than if done by nail clippers.

Also if you do get blood, there is less chance of going too far into the cuticle because you are seeing what you are doing as you go.

The only hazzard for me was when I literally spun my pony tail up into the Dremel when I was concentrating more on on the dog's nail than where my hair was sitting. That was a very frightening experience, having the Dremel stuck in my hair. Took me over 2 hrs to get the Dremel and the knots out of my hair.... but it was good for a laugh :D

I swear by Dremel now. I would never go back to cutting nails. I love the nails on my dogs now. They are shorter and neater.

I even do some of my friends' dogs nails and I enjoy it. :thumbsup:

I use a Dremel. It is a fairly big bulky one and when I saw what my husband brought home for me from Bunnings I wiahed it was a smaller less bulky unit or a remote type, but nevertheless, I am now used to using it.

I have a pup that I have used this Dremel on from day one, so she really knows no different, an older lad that i started using it on at around 3 months old and an older bitch that I started using it on around 6 years of age.

All have coped with the Dremel very well.

I spend a lot more time dremelling than I used to when I trimmed, but I do a much better job also. You can dremel a lot closer to the cuticle, therefore doing a more thorough job and prevent excessive length. The closer you go back to the cuticle encourages the cuticle to draw back also. If you do get the cuticle the dremel cortorises it, so there is way less bleeding than if done by nail clippers.

Also if you do get blood, there is less chance of going too far into the cuticle because you are seeing what you are doing as you go.

The only hazzard for me was when I literally spun my pony tail up into the Dremel when I was concentrating more on on the dog's nail than where my hair was sitting. That was a very frightening experience, having the Dremel stuck in my hair. Took me over 2 hrs to get the Dremel and the knots out of my hair.... but it was good for a laugh :thumbsup:

I swear by Dremel now. I would never go back to cutting nails. I love the nails on my dogs now. They are shorter and neater.

I even do some of my friends' dogs nails and I enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Thankyou dyzney and ernie

My bitch has rather longer nails than i would like, even when trimmed- it seams the dremel is the go for regular trimmimg and therefore shortening- i have always wondered this

Thankyou

:D

SOLD!!!

NB- any particular head- how long does a head last?

Also thanks for the links guys!!

As for the hair entagling OMG-ouchy!!!i bet you werent laughing at the time!!!

Also thanks for the links PM:)!!

Edited by Irish Lassy

NB- any particular head- how long does a head last?

Do you mean the sanding band? I use the one that came with my Dremmel. Have only used about 3 over the years. My current boy is 2.5 yo now and I am still using the new one I put on when he was younger. If you go to the Dober Dawn Dremel link it gives you the description of the sanding band.

I use a cordless rotary tool (dremel wanabee) I bought from Brunnings. Had it at about 3 years and do 3 dogs with it. I go through sanding bands a lot quicker then Erny! I use 1/2 inch bands both rough and fine. I tried the smaller bands but they didn't do as good a job. Others swear by them.

I use a cordless rotary tool (dremel wanabee) I bought from Brunnings. Had it at about 3 years and do 3 dogs with it. I go through sanding bands a lot quicker then Erny! I use 1/2 inch bands both rough and fine. I tried the smaller bands but they didn't do as good a job. Others swear by them.

Have you found your dremel "wannabe" ok? or would you go with dremel next time?

There is a big price jump!!!

Edited by Irish Lassy

my wannabe is great, very happy with it. It was around $60, much cheaper then the equivalent dremel.

my wannabe is great, very happy with it. It was around $60, much cheaper then the equivalent dremel.

Any tips where i can get a dremel wannabe? i have been googling and cant find any!!:thumbsup:

I got my rotary tool from Bunnings. It's cordless and has 5 different speeds. Brand is GMC and it's 9.6 volts

there is a number on it: DEC004DC

as I said I have had mine for around 3 years so may not have the same one's in stock still

Looks like the one I got last year, sheena. I only used it for the first time the other day - just checking it out - on a couple of Rory's nails. Was actually easier to clip him, cos he's good. Might try it on wriggling Kirra, who hates the nail clipping. I started to get a burning smell pretty quickly from the nail - so mindful of the warnings on DOL, just did a tiny bit on each nail.

So no real help to you I'm afraid. ;)

Looks like the one I got last year, sheena. I only used it for the first time the other day - just checking it out - on a couple of Rory's nails. Was actually easier to clip him, cos he's good. Might try it on wriggling Kirra, who hates the nail clipping. I started to get a burning smell pretty quickly from the nail - so mindful of the warnings on DOL, just did a tiny bit on each nail.

So no real help to you I'm afraid. :(

Thanks Tassie,

I decided to just get the Pet Nail Dremel $25 pp. I only need it to smooth the edges of her nails after I have clipped them....just not sure how long the batteries will last...but for the difference in price I can buy a lot of batteries & I probably would never use the other attachments. :laugh:

Has any one used this Dremel advertised on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dremel-Cordless-Pet...=item2a0a7375bf It certainly is cheap, cordless, but runs on normal batteries...wonder how long the batteries would last & if it would have enough power...the feedback comments sound OK :laugh:

I bought one a couple years ago unfortunately they go through batteries quite quickly and weren't powerful enough for the nails of a bullmastiff. My OH has since bought me a cordless Dremel for my birthday and it works a treat. Not to mention it comes in handy for other jobs around the house.