Remembering Kassy 1993-2011

Gayle.

Kassy was all the wrong things a dog should be.......an impulse buy from a pet shop and given as a gift.

When I lost a little dog to a car accident, my ex-husband brought home Kassy one day when he saw a pet shop selling puppies in Melbourne. She was sold to him as a Lhasa Apso, and while I think she probably had a fair bit of Lhasa in her, I'm almost certain she was from a mixed marriage. A puppy farm puppy? Probably, who knows.

But she came to us and we loved her, and so did Gemma, my Maltese girl. The two of them grew up together and were inseparable.

Kassy was the cutest puppy.....dark brown and fluffy with black points. As she grew up, she lightened to blonde and she was blonde to the bone. Kassy was gorgeous and not very bright. She wasn't blessed with many brains, in fact some days I'd think she wasn't blessed with any, but she made up for it with her friendly, happy nature and her complete and utter belief that she could do whatever she put her mind to. Usually she couldn't, but that mattered to her not one whit.

Kassy wasn't untrainable, I could spend hours teaching her to sit, and she'd eventually get it.....til the next day when I'd spend the same hours teaching her to do the same thing, Eventually I gave up.....she was only little, her bum was already close to the ground, she didn't need to know how to get it closer.

She wasn't fussy with food, but she didn't hold with these newfangled ideas of super premium kibble and raw meaty bones, To her, real food came in a foil packet or off someones plate. Although she'd happily accept kibble as a treat from my hand.

Kassy raised 4 kids, including a newborn baby, and in recent years she's helped raise 3 Australian Shepherd puppies. They were all bigger than her but she commanded their respect and while she wasn't the most maternal dog in the world, she always kept the puppies in line.

Kassy's best friend Gemma died suddenly in 2007, and I thought my heart would break.......then I looked at Kassy and knew her heart WAS broken. She got up on the couch, refused to eat, refused to go outside and I knew if I didn't come up with a plan, I'd lose her too. So I got a puppy....Benson, the first of the Aussies. Kassy took one look at this big black bundle of fluff and hated him on sight. She got off the couch, defended her food bowl, her bed and her backyard and came back to life.

She had a big "adventure" shorty after we got Benson, one no one wanted her to repeat. When he was 12 week old I took him to the vet just a few doors down from our house for his vaccination. It was a Saturday morning and we walked there and back.

Later that afternoon, I realised I hadn't seen Kassy for hours and went searching for her, and eventually we realised she'd gotten out of the yard, so hunted high and low in the neighborhood for her. No Kassy to be found anywhere. We spent the entire weekend looking, doorknocking, walking, driving, asking passers-by and she was nowhere to be found. On Monday morning, in desperation I checked the pound website and there she was, starring in her own jailhouse drama.

We got her out the same day, paid a bundle in fees and fines and nicknamed her Schapelle Kassy for a short time. She was the only inmate of the pound to be wearing clothes......when she was picked up she had her warm winter jumper on. She was ever so glad to be home though. It turned out that she'd tried to follow us to the vet and must have been in their yard or a neighboring yard when we came out and walked home. Someone found her and didn't realise she was ours so called the pound.

Kassy loved moving out to our new property last year, she loved trotting around the place with me, checking on the chooks, weeding the garden, sleeping under the shrubs, looking out at horses going past.

She was 17 years old, that's a great age for any dog to live to, and she had a fabulous life with a family who loved her. Today she slipped quietly away in her sleep. We will miss her. And for the first time in over 20 years, I don't have a little dog at my feet.

Kassy....cute as a button, brave as a lion and thick as a brick. That just about sums her up, she was one of a kind and I absolutely adored her.

Rest in peace, my sweet girl. And run with your best mate Gemma at the bridge.

Kassy in May 2007.

kassmay3.jpg

Kassy with Dusty, mid 2010. She would have been 16 here and while she was starting to slow down, she was still pretty sprighly for an oldie.

dk1.jpg

Kassy was all the wrong things a dog should be.......an impulse buy from a pet shop and given as a gift.

When I lost a little dog to a car accident, my ex-husband brought home Kassy one day when he saw a pet shop selling puppies in Melbourne. She was sold to him as a Lhasa Apso, and while I think she probably had a fair bit of Lhasa in her, I'm almost certain she was from a mixed marriage. A puppy farm puppy? Probably, who knows.

But she came to us and we loved her, and so did Gemma, my Maltese girl. The two of them grew up together and were inseparable.

Kassy was the cutest puppy.....dark brown and fluffy with black points. As she grew up, she lightened to blonde and she was blonde to the bone. Kassy was gorgeous and not very bright. She wasn't blessed with many brains, in fact some days I'd think she wasn't blessed with any, but she made up for it with her friendly, happy nature and her complete and utter belief that she could do whatever she put her mind to. Usually she couldn't, but that mattered to her not one whit.

Kassy wasn't untrainable, I could spend hours teaching her to sit, and she'd eventually get it.....til the next day when I'd spend the same hours teaching her to do the same thing, Eventually I gave up.....she was only little, her bum was already close to the ground, she didn't need to know how to get it closer.

She wasn't fussy with food, but she didn't hold with these newfangled ideas of super premium kibble and raw meaty bones, To her, real food came in a foil packet or off someones plate. Although she'd happily accept kibble as a treat from my hand.

Kassy raised 4 kids, including a newborn baby, and in recent years she's helped raise 3 Australian Shepherd puppies. They were all bigger than her but she commanded their respect and while she wasn't the most maternal dog in the world, she always kept the puppies in line.

Kassy's best friend Gemma died suddenly in 2007, and I thought my heart would break.......then I looked at Kassy and knew her heart WAS broken. She got up on the couch, refused to eat, refused to go outside and I knew if I didn't come up with a plan, I'd lose her too. So I got a puppy....Benson, the first of the Aussies. Kassy took one look at this big black bundle of fluff and hated him on sight. She got off the couch, defended her food bowl, her bed and her backyard and came back to life.

She had a big "adventure" shorty after we got Benson, one no one wanted her to repeat. When he was 12 week old I took him to the vet just a few doors down from our house for his vaccination. It was a Saturday morning and we walked there and back.

Later that afternoon, I realised I hadn't seen Kassy for hours and went searching for her, and eventually we realised she'd gotten out of the yard, so hunted high and low in the neighborhood for her. No Kassy to be found anywhere. We spent the entire weekend looking, doorknocking, walking, driving, asking passers-by and she was nowhere to be found. On Monday morning, in desperation I checked the pound website and there she was, starring in her own jailhouse drama.

We got her out the same day, paid a bundle in fees and fines and nicknamed her Schapelle Kassy for a short time. She was the only inmate of the pound to be wearing clothes......when she was picked up she had her warm winter jumper on. She was ever so glad to be home though. It turned out that she'd tried to follow us to the vet and must have been in their yard or a neighboring yard when we came out and walked home. Someone found her and didn't realise she was ours so called the pound.

Kassy loved moving out to our new property last year, she loved trotting around the place with me, checking on the chooks, weeding the garden, sleeping under the shrubs, looking out at horses going past.

She was 17 years old, that's a great age for any dog to live to, and she had a fabulous life with a family who loved her. Today she slipped quietly away in her sleep. We will miss her. And for the first time in over 20 years, I don't have a little dog at my feet.

Kassy....cute as a button, brave as a lion and thick as a brick. That just about sums her up, she was one of a kind and I absolutely adored her.

Kassy in May 2007.

kassmay3.jpg

Kassy with Dusty, mid 2010. She would have been 16 here and while she was starting to slow down, she was still pretty sprighly for an oldie.

dk1.jpg

What a wonderful tale about a much loved family member...

I is so hard that they get older and fade but it sound like Kassy had the spirit until it was her time..

hugs to you all..

RIP little angel

Kassy in May 2007.

kassmay3.jpg

dk1.jpg

What a lovely tribute, I'm so sorry for your loss. :rasberry:

Kassy looks so much like my little Lucy dog that it near breaks my heart. Even born the same year. I lost my girl in 2005. I'm so glad you had Kassy for a wonderful 17 years.

May your memories of Kassy soon bring you comfort rather than tears. She was one hell of a special little girl xox