Foxy Pups 7weeks Old With Demodex Mange

cma076

your vet should be supplying treatment for the pups. Are you sure it's demodex and not sarcoptes?

If the first vet couldnt help find another. I wouldnt treat pups that young without veterinary supervision.

Edited by Nekhbet

After the vet has confirmed demodex with a skin scraping- they should advise/provide you with medication. Perhaps try another vet?

my vet said it will take a few more scrapings does this sound right??? can i buy anyfing over the counter for this? not to happy :thumbsup:

After the vet has confirmed demodex with a skin scraping- they should advise/provide you with medication. Perhaps try another vet?

my vet said it will take a few more scrapings does this sound right??? can i buy anyfing over the counter for this? not to happy :thumbsup:

Scrapings are used to diagnose demodex. If he needs to do more scrapings, that sounds like he hasn't actually diagnosed demodex? And if not, then you shouldn't really be treating for it.

What advice did the vet give you about treatment?

At 7 weeks you would be possibly risking their lives treating them for demodectic mites without Veterinary advice and supervision.

What makes you suspect it is demodex and or mange?

Edited to add - some dogs do not need treatment and the demodex clears up on its own, just with the dog's immune system pulling it back under control.

Edited by ~Anne~

I have seem and treated lots and lots of dogs and puppies with demodex ranging from mild cases to extreme cases as I work in animal welfare. Demodex is diagnosed by skin scrape and then your vet will provide you with the best treatment to kill the mites as to my knowledge you can not just buy something for this off the shelf- you need a vet. Plus you need a vet to monitor treatment as sometimes secondary infections can occur if the skin is badly affected.

I would say your vet is saying that the pups will require more skin scrapes because you must do more skin scrapes to confirm whether or not all the mites have been killed by the treatment. Alot of vets advise that you require two clear skin scrapes before you can stop treatment. Unfortunately this means that All pups in the litter must be re-skin scraped not just one pup. A dog can appear to be clear but the scrape can tell a different story so if you were to stop treatment when the dog still has mites you will end up back at square one.

Persist with treatment as it works. I have seen so many dogs appearing beyond help (totally bald, covered in infected wounds from scratching etc) from untreated demodex and by simplying treating this with Ivermectin orally daily (cheapest) or Deptomax injections weekly you can fix the problem.

Good luck with your pups and try not to worry as demodex is not that bad as long as you treat it its the untreated ones that end up with major problems from what I have seen at my work.

Although, I have heard that not all dogs require treatment and some resolve on their own once the immune system has matured however working in an animal shelter we have always treated rather than waiting and seeing what happens as we don't have the luxury of waiting.

Good luck with your pups hope I have been of some help.

I assume you are talking about a litter of pups. Make sure you clear it all up before they go to their new homes or you will have some very unhappy new puppy owners. Was this a planned litter & what are you intending to do with them ie sell etc. Is it something which is passed on from their parents. :)

There is an over the counter wash you can use for demodex but it is very toxic and can't be used on puppies under 12 weeks. It needs to be used weekly for several weeks to clear it up so it isn't a quick fix. It is pretty unusual for demodex to show up at 7 weeks so don't treat with anything until your vet is sure of the diagnosis and gives you the ok to treat it. You will need to hang onto the puppies until you get the problem sorted, however long it takes.

You can treat with a topical treatment called Advocate. It is safe to give to puppies from 7 weeks old. It treats demodex mange, sarcoptic mange, most intestinal worms (except for tape worm) & heart worm.

It can be bought over the counter at most vets & good pet supply shops.

I've been safely using this product on my own dogs including puppies for years & have always been pretty happy with it.

IMO I would still get the vets diagnosis that your puppies definately have demodex mange & not something else.

Good luck with your pups. :)

demodex doesnt dissapear over night. You will have to hold onto the pups until they scrape clear, its a common mite that takes hold because your pups have a weak immune system. Its not like 'fox' mange (sarcoptes) and the vet will have to keep taking scrapings to check the mites are dying and the body is coping enough to hold off the mites.

If you were hoping to sell them, sorry. You should also be letting your puppy purchasers know whats going on. Saying that an entire litter having Demodex, I would be desexing the parents ASAP.

You can treat with a topical treatment called Advocate. It is safe to give to puppies from 7 weeks old. It treats demodex mange, sarcoptic mange, most intestinal worms (except for tape worm) & heart worm.

Advocate can give false scraping results. Problem is it can reduce the levels of mites so the scrapes dont show but the dogs are not actually cured. I've had vets take dogs off advocate whilst doing treatment to see if it's actually working properly. Remember a product that is a treatment and a product that is a preventative is two VERY different things. One example is heartworm. Given every month it works, give a heartworm preventitive product to a dog already infected and it can make your dog very ill.

Edited by Nekhbet

I've been safely using this product on my own dogs including puppies for years & have always been pretty happy with it.

IMO I would still get the vets diagnosis that your puppies definately have demodex mange & not something else.

Good luck with your pups. :D

Yep I have been using Advocate on all my puppies from 7 weeks old and have had no problems. Previously I had a dog get mite around 8 months old and was sick on the treatment the vet gave it so we took it off the treatment and used the Advocate every 2 weeks instead of monthly and it cleared the mite up without any problems. Even when free from the problem the hair still needs time to grow back.

Quite a while ago now we rand the 1800 number to see if it could be given to an older dog, history not know, without testing 1st for heart worm and we were told yes, not sure if they still advise the same now.

The only dogs I don't have on it are my bitches in whelp (There wasn't enough feed back about the product on pregnant bitches so I leave it off to be on the safe side) and my vet also advised they thought it was a good idea not to use on my bitches I had mated so I don't put the bitch back on it until the puppies are off her, I just use a different heart worm treatment etc in that time. I then put it on all pups at 7 weeks old even the ones going to new families at 8 weeks

I haven't had any problems using the product this way and most of my puppy purchasers continue to use the product and I haven't had any reports of any problems from them to date.

I would also want a vet to diagnosis 1st

Cheers Lee

I have an adult dog with a poor immune system and he had Mange for 3 months and that was treating with all the normal treatments, because he is an allergic dog he's on Cortisone which doesn't help Mange quiet down.

I would strongly suggest you get these pups to the Vets and advise your puppy buyers, personaly I wouldn't be interested in purchasing a puppy withMange as it's fairly indicative of a poor immune system which could mean a life time of reaccurances, allergies and a bunch of other immune system related problems.

I have to disagree with it being indicitative of having a poor immune system Sas. Pups are susceptible because they are still building immunity. It is thought that the dog has recurrences over their life when their immune system is low. Immunity can drop during periods of stress and at other times, and this occurs with any dog. At least that is my understanding of demodex and young pups.

Edited by ~Anne~

I have to disagree with it being indicitative of having a poor immune system Sas. Pups are susceptible because they are still building immunity. It is thought that the dog has recurrences over their life when their immune system is low. Immunity can drop during periods of stress and at other times, and this occurs with any dog. At least that is my understanding of demodex and young pups.

How do you explain then the thousands of puppies which are never affected at all - if puppies are susceptible because they are building immunity and they virtually all have the mite, then you'd think a heck of a lot more puppies should be affected.

There has to be something specific to the pups which are affected and IMO that's a quirk in their immune system which has a pretty good chance of being with them for life. Yes, it's perfectly possible to specially build up a dog's immune system, but if it needs special treatment doesn't that suggest there was something not quite right with it in the first place?

Blame modern chemicals vaccines and treatments if you like :laugh:, but thousands and thousands of dogs don't develop demodex when treated in the same way so why do specific dogs do so?

I have seen a lot of rescued pups in appalling condition that have been kicked from pillar to post without demodex and I have seen a fair few properly raised pups given nothing but the best and in (otherwise!) wonderful condition with demodex. No logic there IMO except for there being something specific to those dogs, not a generic ''it's a puppy thing''.

Good luck with your pups. :laugh:

Yep I have been using Advocate on all my puppies from 7 weeks old and have had no problems. Previously I had a dog get mite around 8 months old and was sick on the treatment the vet gave it so we took it off the treatment and used the Advocate every 2 weeks instead of monthly and it cleared the mite up without any problems. Even when free from the problem the hair still needs time to grow back.

Quite a while ago now we rand the 1800 number to see if it could be given to an older dog, history not know, without testing 1st for heart worm and we were told yes, not sure if they still advise the same now.

The only dogs I don't have on it are my bitches in whelp (There wasn't enough feed back about the product on pregnant bitches so I leave it off to be on the safe side) and my vet also advised they thought it was a good idea not to use on my bitches I had mated so I don't put the bitch back on it until the puppies are off her, I just use a different heart worm treatment etc in that time. I then put it on all pups at 7 weeks old even the ones going to new families at 8 weeks

I haven't had any problems using the product this way and most of my puppy purchasers continue to use the product and I haven't had any reports of any problems from them to date.

I would also want a vet to diagnosis 1st

Cheers Lee

Yes Lee, I do exactly the same as you. I take my bitch of it during gestation/lactation, but put her back on it once the pups are weaned.

The whole litter gets treated at 7 weeks & I send a treatment home with them in their puppy pack.

Most of my owners are also happy to keep using the product. :p

How do you explain then the thousands of puppies which are never affected at all - if puppies are susceptible because they are building immunity and they virtually all have the mite, then you'd think a heck of a lot more puppies should be affected.

There has to be something specific to the pups which are affected and IMO that's a quirk in their immune system which has a pretty good chance of being with them for life. Yes, it's perfectly possible to specially build up a dog's immune system, but if it needs special treatment doesn't that suggest there was something not quite right with it in the first place?

Blame modern chemicals vaccines and treatments if you like :laugh:, but thousands and thousands of dogs don't develop demodex when treated in the same way so why do specific dogs do so?

I have seen a lot of rescued pups in appalling condition that have been kicked from pillar to post without demodex and I have seen a fair few properly raised pups given nothing but the best and in (otherwise!) wonderful condition with demodex. No logic there IMO except for there being something specific to those dogs, not a generic ''it's a puppy thing''.

While I understand what you are saying, and you have made some relevant points, my knowledge of demodex in young pups is that the propensity to develop demodex is genetically inherited. I am not sure if it is a 'generalised' weakened immune system or something to do with immunity that is specific to these mites, but I would guess at possibly the latter.

To be honest, I really haven't a huge and thorough knowledge on it and what I do know, I know because I also have experienced demodex in the rescue arena. The rescues I treated for demodex though haven't had any further issues with immunity and only one of them has had a recurrence of demodex thus far. She has not ever been sick aside from this though. Obviously, a few examples are not enough to really base a confirmed judgement on though, but then, that is how we all form our thoughts and opinions on these subjects, along with relevant reading and disucssion with professionals such as Vets.

Parvo can and does do the same thing, as does KC. Some dogs will immediately succumb, others don't. What makes one pups immune system fight off these two infectious diseases, but not others? Imunity is a strange creature.

While I understand what you are saying, and you have made some relevant points, my knowledge of demodex in young pups is that the propensity to develop demodex is genetically inherited. I am not sure if it is a 'generalised' weakened immune system or something to do with immunity that is specific to these mites, but I would guess at possibly the latter.

Parvo can and does do the same thing, as does KC. Some dogs will immediately succumb, others don't. What makes one pups immune system fight off these two infectious diseases, but not others? Imunity is a strange creature.

I agree, I don't think imunity can be generised easily.

I think I would look at how severe, I have seen many pups from different breeds etc that are affected before they are 12 months old, when a growing body has a lot of stresses etc but never have any problems after that, only a small part of their body or face was affected and treatment is quick and simple and parents may never of had any major problems.

Then there are others that have continual problems, treatment is long and maybe not very successful, their skin is severly affected and they continue to have different issues through out their lives which would be more than evident before breeding age. Parents may or may not have had problems.

I guess it is the same as in people you could be normally healthy but for some reason you're run down or stressed and normal levels of say yeast or what ever become too high and cause a problem. There are many things also that effect teenages when they are growing and hormonal that never worry them again when they are adults but there are some teenages that carry their health issues into adulthood.

I also wonder too about some bugs etc getting stronger or immuned like when everyone has staf present but there have been healthy people go into hospital for a routine procedure and end up with s staf infection that the body and modern antibiotics have trouble fighting or when flea product etc seem to become less effective.

Like many things I don't think some health issues are always black and white and the whole picture needs to be looked at instead of focusing on one part then hopefully we try to make informed/ honorst choices as to what stays in our breeding programs.

Hope I'm making some sort of sense

Cheers Lee

I understand and appreciate what you're saying although that hasn't been the case with pups I have personaly known that have had Mange.

I hope for this pup it becomes a healthy adult....I wouldn't choose that pup for myself though.